Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 02:33 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,901 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on attending Appalachian State in the fall. I want to double-major in Political Science and Theatre, but if that doesn't work I'll minor in Theatre.

There were a couple questions I wasn't sure how to or forgot to ask when I visited, so I'll ask here. Feel free to answer only some of them if you aren't knowledgeable about the rest. And other questions might pop into my head later, so stay tuned.

1. Are there any community theatres are in the area and if so how far are they from campus?

2. Do ASU theatre performances get a lot of support from the community, or is it mostly students/family

3. What's the average Boone resident's impression of App students. Is it overall positive or negative?

4. Will traffic be better once the widening project finishes, because it's always been pretty bad every time I'm up there.

and lastly 5. I have the chance to be in the Watauga Global Community, located in the LLC. I haven't had the chance to visit this yet, but I keep hearing about how isolated the LLC is and how it's way up a hill. How bad is it really? Let's say if I wanted to walk from there to Sanford Mall, how long does that take? And what is the impression other students have of people in that program?

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,551,491 times
The only one I can answer is #4. It will be better when it is finished, but the catch is....it'll never be finished. They've been working on that project for YEARS now, and they're still not even close to being done. It'll take them another 10+ years to finish the section that goes through Blowing Rock. Your kids will be ready to go to college by the time 321 is 100% complete.

Traffic is always bad around Boone, and even worse on game day, weekends in the fall, or anytime there's any major event in town. There's really no way around it aside from walking, taking a bicycle, or the Appalcart. Don't let it dampen your experience though, it's just part of living in a "college town". If it wasn't for App State, Boone would barely exist.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the input. I was referring to 421 but yeah I know all about the delays with the project and how bad traffic always is. Honestly I might sell my car to have the extra money, there is the AppalCart, and the town seems very bike-friendly. If I do bring my car it will probably collect dust until I leave for breaks, I don't really enjoy driving in traffic.

Can anyone help me with the other questions?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
Blowing Rock has the Stage Company,a small theatre, and I have been to a few shows at App mostly when my kids were there. I think everybody gets along pretty well in Boone. Like I said, both my kids went there, had a great education, and got along pretty well with everything and everybody. I had mostly college kids live in my little apartment in Blowing Rock, and we became family. We still have relationships with all those kids. If you do have a car, never, ever, speed, or do anything like park somewhere you shouldn't, or whatever, the police ticket all the time. I once saw a kid on a bicycle get a ticket for something, and I tried talking the cop out of it. Good Grief! and again, if you rent from some of the big rentals, know your rights. Take pics of your place when you rent it. During Football season especially in Sept, Oct. it is crazy if there is a game at home. Good luck

Old 06-11-2012, 04:16 PM

I've heard about the speeding and parking enforcement, yes. I've been ticketed for speeding down Business 40 and Reynolda here in Winston, so I should probably work on my lead-foot before I go.

Thanks for the tips about apartments and theatre

Also, I feel like I should maybe bring a bike, but I'd probably need a better one than I have for the terrain. Winston-Salem is hardly bikeable, especially since I live near Rural Hall, so I've never gotten a decent one for commuting. Would it be a good idea before I make the investment?

And anyone got anything for the other questions?

Last edited by DSS94; 06-11-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM

bump for the remaining questions. Except 5, I experienced that for myself when I went to orientation.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 AM

606 posts, read 1,977,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
I'm planning on attending Appalachian State in the fall. I want to double-major in Political Science and Theatre, but if that doesn't work I'll minor in Theatre.

There were a couple questions I wasn't sure how to or forgot to ask when I visited, so I'll ask here. Feel free to answer only some of them if you aren't knowledgeable about the rest. And other questions might pop into my head later, so stay tuned.

1. Are there any community theatres are in the area and if so how far are they from campus?

2. Do ASU theatre performances get a lot of support from the community, or is it mostly students/family

3. What's the average Boone resident's impression of App students. Is it overall positive or negative?

4. Will traffic be better once the widening project finishes, because it's always been pretty bad every time I'm up there.

and lastly 5. I have the chance to be in the Watauga Global Community, located in the LLC. I haven't had the chance to visit this yet, but I keep hearing about how isolated the LLC is and how it's way up a hill. How bad is it really? Let's say if I wanted to walk from there to Sanford Mall, how long does that take? And what is the impression other students have of people in that program?

Thanks for any help
Starting with 5., I have no idea where the Watauga LLC is located. I've never heard of the Sanford Mall, do you mean the STANford Mall Science Complex? You were there for orientation? Then you know already!

4. The traffic will ALWAYS be bad in Boone. That's just the way it is! You'll learn the best shortcuts to get around it and the bottlenecks that happen every morning and afternoon. The Greenway is a great bike alternative, but riding in Boone traffic is worse than driving, esp. in snow and ice!! KEEP the car!!!

3. Toleration. We are a college town after all! The most resentment stems from the lack of affordable housing, caused by rentals to groups of students. It runs the single family rents to unrealistic levels.

2. Honestly, I'm not sure about that one.

1. Blowing Rock Stage Company is very active and well received. With the closing of the brand new, bankrupt, Hayes Performing Arts Center, I think they are back at the Blowing Rock School auditorium. I'm pretty sure that they are now known as Ensemble Stage, Ensemble Stage - Blowing Rock and Boone NC Professional Theatre.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I've never heard of the Sanford Mall, do you mean the STANford Mall Science Complex? Then you know already!
I mean Sanford Mall, the middle of campus, grassy area in front of the Student Union. That. I figured out that there are two sets of steps leading up to the LLC, which is above Farthing Auditorium. One goes from the Stadium Parking Lot, and the other steps go right to Rivers Street. So that's pretty convenient, when you're talking about going down. Up is hellish either way.

Quote:
KEEP the car!!!
I'm definitely keeping it, but the Freshman parking lot is located on the other side of forever, so it would be very inconvenient for most needs. So, if biking isn't much better, what about the AppalCart. I know that it is always late, but if I don't have a lot of time constraints, how good is it at getting folks to walking distance of all the important places.

Quote:
Blowing Rock Stage Company is very active and well received.
Oh, they're doing Complete History of America Abridged! I want to see it now! Thanks for that info.

Thank you very much for the help

Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 PM

606 posts, read 1,977,287 times
Ah! Sanford Mall, I learned something! Thanks! I may be a college student, but never an ASU student! LOL

Someone else will have to speak for Appalcart . . . All I know is that when the buses stop running, school is closed! Usually an ice/snow thing!

You're welcome!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
The only appalcart bus that runs consistently late is the red route, but that mostly depends on who's driving that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina