Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 PM

13 posts, read 27,415 times

Advertisements

Thinking of making a move from Louisiana to Boone. I have a job that allows me to live pretty much wherever I want. I've done some research and the one thing I can't find is info on women! What are the women like in Boone? I'm 26 year old male. How do the locals take to people from the Deep South? Obviously my accent will be different, but not like those shows you see about Louisiana. How are the bars? I'm from Baton Rouge, home to LSU, so I imagine Boone is pretty similar as far as college towns go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:15 AM

22 posts, read 54,495 times
Boone is a college town, so women wise you'll be able to find pretty much whatever you want. Really no different than any other American college town. Most of the restaurants in town serve liquor by the drink, but that was only passed in 2008. Most of the "bars" are the restaurant/pub variety places.

You shouldn't have any problems being from Louisiana. A great deal of the people in Boone are non natives anyway, since it is a college town. Now the locals (as in people that have lived there for generations) are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. As long as you aren't a land developer, treat them with respect, and leave any hillbilly stereotypes at home, you won't have an issue.

The thing you really need to worry about is the weather. Boone has a climate that is more akin to the Upper Midwest or Northeast than of the South. I would recommend that you spend some time up there in the winter before you make a decision. 4 wheel/AWD drive is a must! Being from Louisiana, you may be in for a rude awakening weather wise, unless you've spent some time in a much colder climate.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 AM

I spent a year in Chicago and three in Norfolk, VA so I've got a pretty good idea about what to expect as far winter weather is concerned. I own a z71 Tahoe so I'm also good for a 4x4. The rude awakening is going to come when I walk into a gas station and I can't buy liquor! Louisiana has to be the most relaxed state when it comes to alcohol. Are you from Boone? Could you point me in the direction of the best neighborhoods for guys my age? I can go as high as 2000 a month for rent. Boone is sounding better and better the more I read.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:36 PM

22 posts, read 54,495 times
I went to college up there, but I don't live there anymore. With up to 2000/month you should be able to rent just about anything around. Don't know if you're looking for a house or apartment, but you have to be careful with some of the rental agencies. Some are decent and some will see a 20 something and try and ********* to the wall. I had a few bad encounters with rental agencies while I was up there so just shop around and get a feel for them. There really isn't a "bad" part of town, it just gets more tedious to commute the further out of town or up a mountain you get in the winter.

Yeah you definitely won't get liquor at a convenience store in NC. Beer and wine are sold in convenience and grocery stores. Liquor is sold in state run liquor stores called ABC stores. Boone has one with a decent variety. Not the best I've ever seen, but not the worst.

Chicago and Norfolk. You sound almost like you were in the Navy. Good luck bud.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM

You are right. I was in the Navy. You sound like you know a little bit about that. Thanks for all the information.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 PM

That's good. I only need them for one night, haha! I'm joking but I think the job prospects have gotten better recently. I'm finding a lot of info on young professionals in the area.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aosmith View Post
Have you checked out Greenville SC? It is near the mountains but has more happening downtown area and more young profs. Lot more places to eat, etc. Warmer weather.

Here is a website about it: Greenville SC Visit : VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source
Too big and not really what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though. Sounds like you had some bad experiences in Boone...

Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 AM

497 posts, read 969,788 times
I believe that you would be more interested in Asheville, where UNC-Asheville is located. Very much a college-like lifestyle here, even if you're retired. Asheville has more breweries per capita than any other US city.There seems to be a lot of very attractive young women here as well, if you think you could keep up with them? (I am a UNO graduate and Tigers fan.)

Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,539,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
even if you're retired.
OP says he's a 26 y.o. male.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:46 PM

497 posts, read 969,788 times
Roadpony: I should have been clearer. I realize the OP is a 26 y/o male. I was referring to myself as the retired person and to all the women I see jogging in Asheville that the OP would have a hard time keeping up with. In many ways Asheville maintains the trappings of a party college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina