Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:54 PM

29 posts, read 144,818 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to move to the Boone area for many reasons, but the #1 is a fresh start and to enjoy life. I love the outdoors, snowboarding, cliff jumping, hiking, taking my two labradors running, and more. I would so much rather live in a slow pace place like Burlington, VT or Boone, NC. I am looking for any pros or cons that would help my decision making or get my motivation going so I dont get stuck in the same routine here.

--How is the economy there?
--How is the population when school is out?
--What is the average age?
--Do most people leave boone? Are the 18+ immediately leaving the area?
--How is the job market there? What types of jobs or workers are needed?
--Are the ski resorts worthwhile and is there alot of snow every season?
--How is ASU as a college? I will be most likely be attending. Pricing seems great. How are the professors?
--What is the male to female ratio?
--Is there potential for starting a business?
--Is there any indoor skateparks, skateshops?
--Is there anyone looking to open a small indoor park?
--How is the pizza? Is there potential to bring some amazing NEPA pizza there?
--What parts are the best places to live? What is average rent? I need a pet friendly apt or house.

I am sure I can think many others, but that is a start. If you have any info that may help, please get in touch. I will be visiting Boone either way, the area looks amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
--How is the economy there? Real estate is still in the tank (from a seller's perspective). Still seeing retail closings here and there.

--How is the population when school is out? When the ASU students leave, the summer residents and tourists more than take their place.

--What is the average age?

--Do most people leave boone? Are the 18+ immediately leaving the area? Nobody leaves Boone unless they have to for a job. A lot of the ASU grads try to stay in the area if they can figure out a way to subsist.

--How is the job market there? What types of jobs or workers are needed? Outside of the university, hospital, and school system (State of NC has had a hiring freeze for some time) ... pretty crappy. Most of the job demand - if you can find one - is for tourist-related/seasonal jobs. Low wages and no benefits. You'll find a lot of hourly jobs that are filled by people with B.A/B.S.'s and graduate degrees.

--Are the ski resorts worthwhile and is there alot of snow every season? It's all in how you look at it... if you're used to going out west, you won't like it in the High Country. The ski areas are small but do a great job of snowmaking and grooming for what they have to work with. This past winter was abnormally cold and snowy. However, the ski areas have 100% snowmaking coverage, so they aren't dependent on natural snowfall. Be prepared for ungodly crowds on weekends. Sundays are slightly better than Saturdays.

--How is ASU as a college? I will be most likely be attending. Pricing seems great. How are the professors? Excellent reputation. Obviously some majors/programs are better than others. What do you plan to study?

--What is the male to female ratio? I'm sure that is on the school's web site.

--Is there potential for starting a business? There's potential virtually anywhere for people to start new businesses if they have the resources, know-how, and do their research.

--Is there any indoor skateparks, skateshops? Don't know anything about this topic except I read in the local paper within the past few months of a local controversy over the county starting an outdoor skate park, but closing it because the people patronizing it wouldn't adhere to the rules... which I believe weren't necessarily overly strict. You can google skate shops.

--Is there anyone looking to open a small indoor park? No idea.

--How is the pizza? Is there potential to bring some amazing NEPA pizza there? Pizza is a very subjective thing. What is NEPA pizza?

--What parts are the best places to live? What is average rent? I need a pet friendly apt or house. "Best place" is different to different people. The closer into town, the higher the rent and less pet-friendly. Rent is generally high in town because of the student population. When you get a little ways out, you'd have more options. Research this forum. There are recent threads on this subject. Also google Mountain Times, local free weekly paper... has good classifieds. Could also check Craigslist for rental rates.

Good luck in your explorations... I really didn't intend for my reply to be so negative, but a reality check can be more helpful at times than "sunshine and lollypops." Boone and the High Country is a wonderful place for a lot of people, but can be a challenging place to earn a viable wage.

Last edited by roadpony; 05-12-2010 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 02:59 PM

446 posts, read 830,940 times
My son just graduated from ASU this past weekend. My fiance works for AT&T and when my last kiddo goes to college in a few years we plan to move up that way. Not sure it will be in Boone, but nearby. Boone has unGODLY traffic and makes Charlotte seem easy to get around in. It's not always that bad, but when it's bad, it's BAD!!!

As far as the surrounding area goes, I LOVE it. It's beautiful and I do mean beautiful. We are planning on building a 2 bdrm 2 bath log cabin somewhere...haven't decided exactly where yet, but are looking at Freeman. It's near enough to Boone so you can get to the grocery store, Old Navy, etc., and at that point, that's about all I'll need. When school is in session, like the poster above said, it's busy, crowded, and the restaurants are busy. When the regular school year lets out it's BUSY with tourists. My main reason for not wanting to live IN Boone or Blowing Rock. I'd rather drive a bit to see the sights/attractions, etc. I'm moving up there for the tranquility, not to replace one busy place for another....if that makes sense.

In the past 4 years my son has been in school there I've been up there a lot for concerts he's been in and other events. It's a wonderful place, it really is....it just depends on what you are looking for and what you're willing to put up with. If you're going to be a student there, and looking for a student job, you'll have a LOT of competition. My son worked at Harris Teeter (grocery store) and was able to transfer from the Charlotte store he worked in to the Boone store. He was VERY lucky in this because it's just not easy to find a job for a college student, or anyone else in this economy.

I don't ski, well, I don't ski well, but would like to get better at it and Boone is very close to Beech Mtn.....it's really right down the mtn from it. I've been there several times and loved it. As far as other slopes I've got no clue. Just know it's nice at Beech.

I love the surrounding areas like Todd, NC, Valle Crusis (sp?), etc...smaller towns that are close enough to 'civilization' unless you're snowed in.

The weather in the Spring/Summer/Fall is BEAUTIFUL. It's a full 10-15 degrees cooler up there than it is here in Charlotte and I'll take that and run with it in a heartbeat! Last winter was crazy...just crazy, but it's not the norm, from what I understand.

I like snow, just not quite that much snow....if that were the norm I'd re-think my moving plans! LOL

IMHO I think the whole area is fantastic....there is nothing more beautiful to me than the NC mountains and surrounding areas.....nothing.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:37 PM

9 posts, read 58,649 times
--How is the economy there? It's so/so right now. We do have a bit of laid of people here and the classifieds/job ads are not too bulky. I don't think it's a whole lot worse than most other places since everywhere is dealing with this right now.

--How is the population when school is out? Depends. During Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring, and Easter breaks it is like heaven! hahaha 90% of the college students are gone. You can tell a night-and-day difference. Summer break is a toss up. It can be not so bad or it can be just as packed or worse. Depends on tourist traffic. Christmas time can be a little toss up too if the skiing is good that year. I will say our general traffic has been pretty rough lately... there is a bit of construction going on though, that may be part of the issue.

--What is the average age? No clue? ASU students make up a large population in the area... but there are a lot of families and young professionals as well. It's a mix, but there are a lot of college students.

--Do most people leave boone? Are the 18+ immediately leaving the area? It depends. I am local and 27 years old. I cannot wait to graduate and leave. It's beautiful and great here, but my profession has nothing here and I have been here 27 years... so, I just want to move on. Others can't stay long enough. It's hard to say. More young locals seem to want to leave and people that move here for college seem to want to stay. Though, I know quite a few students that moved here and want to leave and also quite a few locals that settled down after highschool and are happy here.

--How is the job market there? What types of jobs or workers are needed? I'm not too sure what's needed, the classifieds are very skimpy as is monster.com and sites like that. I know the general job market is quite rough, but roadpony seems to have a better idea of this topic.

--Are the ski resorts worthwhile and is there alot of snow every season? Now this is up to the person. I used to be satisfied with our mountains as I was growing up... then I went to Vale and Beaver Creek in Colorado... now they seem a bit small. hehe Small but not bad. They work hard to keep the slopes covered in snow and all but you can make it from the top of Sugar Mountain to the bottom in about 2 minutes or so. It's plenty for a lot of people I know, I just got spoiled by Colorado. I'd say that most seasons about 75% of the snow on the slopes is man-made, not natural powder.

--How is ASU as a college? I will be most likely be attending. Pricing seems great. How are the professors? I am a student and have been for a couple years. I love ASU. I don't have anything to base it against but other people I know who have been to other schools and transfered have loved ASU. The quality of education has grown year by year. I am not sure about ratings or anything like that but I love it. The professors are overall pretty good and personable. You have your crappy, mean, uncaring, lazy professors... as you do in any university, but I have not ran into a lot of them. I highly recommend ASU. The in-state price is REALLY reasonable.

--What is the male to female ratio?

--Is there potential for starting a business? That would depend. Not sure what type of business you would be wanting to start. It's not the best time in general... as the economy picks up it would be. It used to be a hot spot for new businesses.

--Is there any indoor skateparks, skateshops? Recess Skateshop, Farmers Backside. Those are the two skateshops I know of... we have an outdoor skatepark, not indoor.

--Is there anyone looking to open a small indoor park? I haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't know. It's not my general scene.

--How is the pizza? Is there potential to bring some amazing NEPA pizza there? We have Capones Pizza which is pretty tasty. Not sure of the style. Also have Mellow Mushroom. Those are the two main, better quality pizzerias. No NEPA pizza that I know of... I've never tried North Eastern PA pizza so I'm not sure what the style is all about. I love pizza though, so bring it on!

--What parts are the best places to live? What is average rent? I need a pet friendly apt or house. Pet friendly is much easier if you look at houses or apartments not rented through rental agencies. Check the classifieds. Average rent cant really be figured since I'm not sure how many bedrooms or bathrooms and all that you are looking for. Also not sure what would be the best area for you. Are you wanting more social scene? more quiet? in town? outskirts of town?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM

29 posts, read 144,818 times
Thanks for the responses. The lack of a jobs really scares me since the rents are somewhat higher than I pay now, plus all other expenses. Maybe Boone is just a place to visit and in time a place that I can move to. Oh well I have free place to stay in charlotte, maybe that is a start! Thanks again-

Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
It IS a great place to visit. Now is not the best time to find a job . . . if it were, we would move there, as we own a home near Boone and I grew up in the area. My son just graduated and would love to stay in the region but no job openings in his field (healthcare).

Enjoy the Charlotte area and visiting Boone and surrounding burgs . . . and keep watching how things develop. It may be that in a few years, the job market would be more feasible or you might figure out how to start a business there! It really does sound like a place where you would be happy b/c of your love of the outdoors.

Good luck on your plans!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 PM

18 posts, read 91,569 times
We have friends who live in Boone and I often pass through with my job. A few friends love it and say they'll never leave. Another friend moved back down to the piedmont because he couldn't stand the traffic congestion. We could have moved there(and still could for that matter) but it isn't for us. Mountains are beautiful to view from a distance but living in them isn't for everyone. We prefer the piedmont where the land is less expensive,the views of the mountains are incredible, there is more flat land available for gardening, sports, etc., the days are sunnier, and the social fabric is more natual and stable. Just my two bits.

Last edited by MrFarmer; 05-27-2010 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 PM

446 posts, read 830,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarmer View Post
. We prefer the piedmont where the land is less expensive,the views of the mountains are incredible, there is more flat land available for gardening, sports, etc., the days are sunnier, and the social fabric is more natual and stable. Just my two bits.
Where in the piedmont do you live that you have incredible views of the mountains? The social fabric is more natural and stable???? Huh? When I went up for 4 days for my son's graduation from App State we stayed in a beautiful house on several acres of gorgeous land that was in a neighborhood environment that was very social with people who knew their full time neighbors and knew the part timers and watched out for their houses. I met many of them while out walking the dog and I found it very social. They have parties, get togethers outside, etc., just like people do in Charlotte, except it's in a higher elevation.

It's pretty up there right now, and it's sunny there as well. The flowers are blooming and people were outside. They aren't bumpkins, these are people who just wanted out of the city and into the mountains.

While I'm not sure where we'd live when we finally do move up there, I do know it won't be IN Boone/Blowing Rock because of the traffic, but it will be somewhere near the general area.

I just don't get what you mean by the social fabric is more natural and stable......

No, living in the mountains isn't for everyone, but I have to say that waking up in the morning to cool, crisp air and a deck that overlooks the most beautiful scenery there is while drinking my coffee in total peace is something to be prized.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
Where in the piedmont do you live that you have incredible views of the mountains? The social fabric is more natural and stable???? Huh? When I went up for 4 days for my son's graduation from App State we stayed in a beautiful house on several acres of gorgeous land that was in a neighborhood environment that was very social with people who knew their full time neighbors and knew the part timers and watched out for their houses. I met many of them while out walking the dog and I found it very social. They have parties, get togethers outside, etc., just like people do in Charlotte, except it's in a higher elevation.

It's pretty up there right now, and it's sunny there as well. The flowers are blooming and people were outside. They aren't bumpkins, these are people who just wanted out of the city and into the mountains.

While I'm not sure where we'd live when we finally do move up there, I do know it won't be IN Boone/Blowing Rock because of the traffic, but it will be somewhere near the general area.

I just don't get what you mean by the social fabric is more natural and stable......

No, living in the mountains isn't for everyone, but I have to say that waking up in the morning to cool, crisp air and a deck that overlooks the most beautiful scenery there is while drinking my coffee in total peace is something to be prized.

Surely he meant the foothills? You are correct, you don't really see the mountains from the piedmont!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 PM

18 posts, read 91,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Surely he meant the foothills? You are correct, you don't really see the mountains from the piedmont!
I'm sorry, I just ran across your reply to a post I made earlier. You are correct in that I am referring to the foothills in particular. However, what many people refer to as the foothills is actually part of the piedmont, it is simply that you are close enough to the mountains to be able to see them.

In regards to SandyRn0224's question about the social fabric, I'll stand by my comment. All you have to do is ask people where they are from. Very, very few people who live in the area of Boone, Jefferson, West Jefferson, Asheville, or Hendersonville, were born in the area. I'm not saying that is bad. I'm just stating a fact. Conversely, you will find a much higher percentage of folks in the piedmont who were born there and have family in the area extending back several generations. My own family started in Caswell county in the mid-1700's. When I refer to the piedmont, I am not including the major metro areas of Charlotte and Raleigh, or even the triad as regards to the more stable social fabric. As far as land prices go, Realtor.com will quickly confirm the relative price of land in the piedmont vs. useable land in the mountains. Hope this clears up things a little. To each his own. I'm just glad everyone doesn't want to live in the same spot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina