Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 27,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
I believe that you would be more interested in Asheville, where UNC-Asheville is located. Very much a college-like lifestyle here, even if you're retired. Asheville has more breweries per capita than any other US city.There seems to be a lot of very attractive young women here as well, if you think you could keep up with them? (I am a UNO graduate and Tigers fan.)
I'm also considering Asheville. I think it may be larger than what I'm looking for, although I like the idea of more women to choose from. Geaux Tigers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM

I forgot to ask about hunting and wildlife in the area. I plan on renting a home on some acreage and would like to hunt. I've got two German Shorthaired Pointers that will be coming with me. Should I be concerned with leaving them outside by themselves?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthn932 View Post
I forgot to ask about hunting and wildlife in the area. I plan on renting a home on some acreage and would like to hunt. I've got two German Shorthaired Pointers that will be coming with me. Should I be concerned with leaving them outside by themselves?

Asheville is the city; you won't be getting any acreage in Asheville. You need to search for acreage/homes in the County(ies). See the thread just above this one, "WNC isn't just Asheville" -- especially the post by RoadPony. You don't want to know my opinion about leaving any type of dogs outside.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Asheville is the city; you won't be getting any acreage in Asheville. You need to search for acreage/homes in the County(ies). See the thread just above this one, "WNC isn't just Asheville" -- especially the post by RoadPony. You don't want to know my opinion about leaving any type of dogs outside.
Haha turns out dogs like being outside. You know, to run and dig and do dog stuff. I would never leave them outside permanently. Asheville is out as possible destinations. Too many liberals.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
I'm also considering Asheville. I think it may be larger than what I'm looking for, although I like the idea of more women to choose from. Geaux Tigers!

Southwest Virginia may be more suitable for you; acreage and taxes will be less expensive, and some quaint small towns. Outside of Roanoke; Salem, Lynchburg. Plenty of colleges in VA along Rt. 81, lots of girls. More conservative. Otherwise, check out Madison County in Western NC for acreage, plenty of girls up there, or try near Sylva, Waynesville, or Cullowhee is a nice college town also. Some very conservative small towns in the mountains.

As for your naïve retort about dogs, you inquired about: "leaving them outside by themselves?" I've raised and trained Boxers, and my husband raised and trained Gordon Setters for hunting. The answer is no dogs should be left outside by themselves.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 PM

I plan on taking a trip to the area soon and will visit the areas you suggested. As far as dogs are concerned, I see no problem with letting your dog out into a fenced yard alone. I was asking more about predatory wildlife preying on pets. Say that five times fast.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:23 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
If your dog(s) is good sized, it isn't a problem...the bears don't like them, and if they are 'of size', the coyotes won't like them either. Small dogs/cats, a different situ.
GL, mD

Old 03-04-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
If your dog(s) is good sized, it isn't a problem...the bears don't like them, and if they are 'of size', the coyotes won't like them either. Small dogs/cats, a different situ.
GL, mD
That's what I was thinking. I've read quite a few horror stories about how no matter what you'll eventually lose your dog and you should never let them out at night. I would still exercise caution at night but this idea that your dog will be eaten no matter what you do is ridiculous.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Haha turns out dogs like being outside. You know, to run and dig and do dog stuff. I would never leave them outside permanently. Asheville is out as possible destinations. Too many liberals.
lol. I agree. Some people forget that dogs love to be outside. My dog sleeps in my bed with me but he also loves to be outside exploring, chasing squirrels, and yes digging and just catching some rays.

Don't let the libs scare you aware from where you desire to live.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
lol. I agree. Some people forget that dogs love to be outside. My dog sleeps in my bed with me but he also loves to be outside exploring, chasing squirrels, and yes digging and just catching some rays.

Don't let the libs scare you aware from where you desire to live.
I'm not worried about the liberals. I am a little worried about your open carry laws though. Very different from Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina