Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I hope that everyone is enjoying the New Year! I was wondering how to evaluate a mountain view. Being a newbie to WNC I am at a loss as to how to know what is a good mountain view and what is a mediocre one. A no brainier is location, aside from that what determines a views value? From looking at real estate web sites the only thing I can come away with is that views that incorporate long range, city, and lakes command a higher value. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:29 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,534,267 times
There's no such thing as rating a view. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One thing to keep in mind is that long range or sweeping views are usually at or near the top of a mountain. That's fine for a summer home, but don't forget to consider year-round access if it is to be a year-round home. Yes, views are generally priced at a premium, but when you live with this beauty all around you all of the time, the need for having a sweeping view out your own window isn't necessarily the most important thing. At least that's the way I view it.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
There's no such thing as rating a view. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One thing to keep in mind is that long range or sweeping views are usually at or near the top of a mountain. That's fine for a summer home, but don't forget to consider year-round access if it is to be a year-round home. Yes, views are generally priced at a premium, but when you live with this beauty all around you all of the time, the need for having a sweeping view out your own window isn't necessarily the most important thing. At least that's the way I view it.
I like your point of view roadpony...I know...sorry I couldn't resist...

Old 01-05-2014, 06:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hey all, I hope that everyone is enjoying the New Year! I was wondering how to evaluate a mountain view. Being a newbie to WNC I am at a loss as to how to know what is a good mountain view and what is a mediocre one. A no brainier is location, aside from that what determines a views value? From looking at real estate web sites the only thing I can come away with is that views that incorporate long range, city, and lakes command a higher value. Thanks again!
There is no objective way to measure such things, and as always, location, location, location. A home within the city limits that has mountain views might be considered a real gem and command top dollar, even though the view is comparatively mediocre to a house you might find in Leicester, for example. 360 degree views are certainly rare and therefore very desirable. But ultimately the view is only one subjective part of the overall value of a property.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:55 PM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
Agree on difficulty of 'rating' a view: it will vary from person to person.
People coming from the western Rockies might say, 'nice, but no big deal', on nearly any 'view' that I've seen in western NC.

People from flatter areas may think any glimpse of any 'peak' is sensational.

RE pics of 'views' in the house for sale beauty shots are difficult to interpret vs being on site, wandering around and looking.

Keep in mind that most winter views are often much less obstructed in winter when all the deciduous trees are bare and skies are often crystal clear.

Altitude is usually a help, in views, but even mid altitudes can afford some 'look up'/look out views.

Year round access, in our joint or any friends' homes is doable, though some days it would not pay unless one had to haul azz down the mtn. If one is retired, who cares...Our mtn joint is not for sale, but most friends inc RE friends have suggested our view is priceless, until one goes to sell it, lol!
GL, mD

Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,534,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post

Year round access, in our joint or any friends' homes is doable, though some days it would not pay unless one had to haul azz down the mtn. If one is retired, who cares...Our mtn joint is not for sale, but most friends inc RE friends have suggested our view is priceless, until one goes to sell it, lol!
GL, mD
Just as people rate views differently, people also have varying degrees of tolerance for wintertime access. What's doable for some folks is totally daunting and untenable for others.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
People coming from the western Rockies might say, 'nice, but no big deal', on nearly any 'view' that I've seen in western NC.

People from flatter areas may think any glimpse of any 'peak' is sensational.

RE pics of 'views' in the house for sale beauty shots are difficult to interpret vs being on site, wandering around and looking.

Keep in mind that most winter views are often much less obstructed in winter when all the deciduous trees are bare and skies are often crystal clear.

Altitude is usually a help, in views, but even mid altitudes can afford some 'look up'/look out views.

GL, mD
Hey Motordavid, I have seen the views from your place and to say that they are priceless is a gross understatement!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,512,190 times
Think you rate a view based on how much you like it because that is what's important

Old 01-06-2014, 06:19 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
The big consideration can be a long, or steep driveway in order to get that house with a view. On the other hand, a house can be set low, with a below grade driveway, and a steep "backyard" in order to get a view with a large deck or back porch on some seriously large posts. Either way setting a house on a "view" lot can require some serious engineering and a good local reputable contractor with experience building on slopes. Many subdivisions have regulations to prevent "tree-topping" in order to get a peek-a-boo view (thank goodness) and regulations on the size of the tree trunk for which trees can be cut down for views. Clear cutting the land around here has been done by indiscriminate contractors and should be against the law (imo).

Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The big consideration can be a long, or steep driveway in order to get that house with a view. On the other hand, a house can be set low, with a below grade driveway, and a steep "backyard" in order to get a view with a large deck or back porch on some seriously large posts. Either way setting a house on a "view" lot can require some serious engineering and a good local reputable contractor with experience building on slopes. Many subdivisions have regulations to prevent "tree-topping" in order to get a peek-a-boo view (thank goodness) and regulations on the size of the tree trunk for which trees can be cut down for views. Clear cutting the land around here has been done by indiscriminate contractors and should be against the law (imo).
I grew up in the canyons of New York City however I always had a deep appreciation and respect for nature. As I grew older this appreciation grew stronger. My search for my new home will be made with a consideration for my neighbors and the land. Mother Nature has sure taken a beating from us and I will not be a party to this travesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina