Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 AM

16 posts, read 27,258 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I finally have 2 days off together and want to take a day trip to the mountains, we've heard all about how beautiful it is this time of year since we moved here 2 years ago!

I've done a ton of research online and I'm quite frankly totally overwhelmed by the amount of stuff out there.

Since its a day trip we'd prefer a shorter drive to a longer one (but it doesn't matter too much because we don't mind leaving super early and getting home super late and I know most stuff is 4 hours away).

We are both in our mid twenties. I love the mountains and the fall and the hipster / college town vibe I've heard so much about in Asheville and Boone. We are up for anything, the more exciting and unique the better. We're probably only going to get the chance to make this trip once (which I know is sad since there is so much to see and do) so ...

What is your BEST recommendation for a hike/waterfall/view/adventure/town/bar?

We'd like to take a hike to see some awesome views (he's never been to a mountain before so a breathtaking overlook would be awesome), maybe check out an orchard or something unique or take a drive. Then maybe a cool downtown ish area to walk around, see some local flavor, and grab a few drinks or bite to eat or listen to some music before heading home.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 01:51 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Boone is 3 hours from Raleigh, and Asheville is almost 4 hrs from Raleigh...

Boone is smaller than A'ville, though lots of college kids there this time of year.
A'ville has more restaurants, bars, joints, TTD imo...

If you head to A'ville, the Blue Ridge Parkway is 20 mins from A'ville, and going north on it, or south, will give you a pleasant drive with some good views. Hiking spots are all along the way, either north or south on the BRPkway.

Bars, clubs, joints and restaurants of nearly every level and persuasion, are all over A'ville and area.

Since it seems your trip is of such short duration, and even though Boone is ~40-45 mins 'closer', my rec'd is for Asheville.

Blue Ridge Parkway, best map, see page 4:
http://www.virtualblueridge.com/maps...arkway-map.pdf

BRPkway Gen Info:
asheville.com blueridge parkway

Blue Ridge Skyline Parkway Drive

Asheville Restaurants:
Asheville Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Good Local info on music, clubs, joints, et al:
Mountain Xpress | Asheville, NC

Some A'ville Rez may be able to offer more suggestions, or 'go do this, and go to this place'.
Big area, lots to do, etc. Sort of like hitting NYC for a night, as in 'what to do'?!
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 11-09-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
we've heard all about how beautiful it is this time of year since we moved here 2 years ago!
Don't know about Asheville, but leaves are almost all gone in the Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk area.... if that's your definition of beautiful.

When you mention Boone, you ought to also consider Blowing Rock, less than 10 miles down the road from Boone. Lots of cute shops and plenty of interesting non-chain dining. While not the number of choices in Asheville, the craft brewing scene in Boone/Blowing Rock is growing. Plenty of convenient hiking in and near Blowing Rock and Boone.

If you don't come this way tomorrow, definitely keep it on your "to do" list.

P.S. For an awesome view, check out Grandfather Mountain and the Viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway at the base of G'father. The BR Parkway has tons of scenic overlooks up and down its length. Be aware, However that an 11 mile stretch of the Parkway at US 421 is closed for a couple of months for repairs.

Last edited by roadpony; 11-09-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 10:28 PM

16 posts, read 27,258 times
Both sound great. Any specific "must sees"?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
The leaves mostly have past peak but the views are nice. IMO I think going to tallest mountain east of Missippi Mount Mitchell.

Here is a site ranking top 50 hikes.

If you make it up towards Boone, Linville Caverns is fun. Linville Caverns

Old 11-11-2013, 06:45 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The leaves mostly have past peak but the views are nice. IMO I think going to tallest mountain east of Missippi Mount Mitchell.

Here is a site ranking top 50 hikes.

If you make it up towards Boone, Linville Caverns is fun. Linville Caverns
As of last weekend the Pisgah National Forest campground on NC 80 appeared to be closed -- too bad because it has a number of trail heads. Depending on your skill level (i.e., experience in late fall weather in rugged climes), Mt Mitchell State Park might be a good choice, or alternatively, check out the Blue Ridge Parkway's official web site and look for short trails off the motorway.

You could stop at Marion off I-40, take NC 226 or NC 80 to the BRP, head south to or past Mt Mitchell (hiking along the way) and then end up in Asheville for drinks, dinner, etc. The Aloft hotel in downtown AVL is quite nice if you can get a room. Also some great B&B's just north of downtown Asheville. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina