Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,512,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Yes! Purchase a previously used home. Don't plow down trees and put up a new house. This is the best form of recycling. The only true way.
Although I tend to agree it is hard to tell people they can't build a home, besides then you have to tell people they can't sell their land. Best answer, in my opinion, is controlling how much of a footprint your house will leave and protecting views of the mountainside. No body comes to W.N.C. to see the houses. House we purchased had many trees cleared so we have been planting them back. I don't want my house to stick out like a sore thumb on the mountain side. Respect the land, water, wildlife be a part of the mountains don't try to dominate them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 AM

81 posts, read 87,433 times
In my opinion the land's orientation is of primary importance. I wouldn't want to be on the north side of a slope and receive no direct sun in the winter. My family had a summer home in WNC with the garage on the south side and although that was something that didn't seem to matter in the summer when the sun is higher, using the house in the winter was downright depressing. To say nothing of the total lack of solar gain on cold days.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Hadn't thought about orientation flatwood, good point! I tend to not do well when the days are shortened in the winter. I will give this consideration.
I will also try to purchase a home that has been built rather than purchase land and take a chunk out of the mountain. I am glad that I started this thread, it is really giving me an even deeper apreciation for the mountains of WNC!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
flatwood is right on, imo...sorry I didn't inject the site orientation previously, in this thread.

North facing/under the ridge is going to be dark, cooler to cold and will make that entire side of the house tomb-like.

We have friends right 'behind us', on the other side of Eagles Nest Mtn, (Maggie Valley side), that are on the North side, and it is 10+ degrees cooler and dark, 6+ months of the year. At our elevation(s), cooler isn't needed and dark isn't either.

Tuck a $5 compass in your pocket for viewing land sites, or house on land...
GL, mD

Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,512,190 times
I totally agree. We face south west and have great solar gain in the house during sunny winter days and we installed solar hot water. Our drive melts off fast but our poor neighbors who also face west are right against ridge and don't get sun until late in the day. They keep snow on the ground forever and house is dark inside during the winter.
But we have more of a heat issue in the summer although higher sun in the sky helps. We have made several (non air conditioning) adaptations to mitigate heat. How and where house is situated is important to consider.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 AM

442 posts, read 1,510,063 times
We are renting a home in a lovely community while we build our house - and oh boy does orientation matter - this house get NO SUN directly on its roof - ever! The propane delivery guy referred to it as a "cold hole" where no sun shines! Thankfully, the spot we are building on has wonderful sun exposure in Winter and enough trees to block the hot Summer sun - it matters! Plus I like to grow things and flowers need sun!! Take your time and find the right spot for you!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:04 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Thanks Lm, I like to garden as well, so sun is a must! I will pay attention to the orientation of the house. Sorry to hear about your current predicament, hope that house goes up in a hurry.
Bear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina