Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,352 times

Advertisements

Please help! I've visited asheville many times and have good friends who live in the area already and they all tell me to move my bones(Although these kinds of friends don't make much money or have children) SOOO my dilemma is that.... I question if I can do it alone with a 4 year old and a degree in massage therapy with which I know is A DIME A DOZEN to this area.
I am wondering how difficult it will be to get a good paying job ??
And how crazy the rent could possibly be?
And does anyone know of an awesome mother-support group ?
Any suggestion on how to make it in this town would be very appreciated ! `
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,562,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydes View Post
Please help! I've visited asheville many times and have good friends who live in the area already and they all tell me to move my bones(Although these kinds of friends don't make much money or have children) SOOO my dilemma is that.... I question if I can do it alone with a 4 year old and a degree in massage therapy with which I know is A DIME A DOZEN to this area.

If you are already in Greenville SC, or within a 20 mile radius of Greenville SC, one would think there are several more opportunities with better pay, lower rents, and lower cost of living, and you're settled there ... why would you want to take a plunge into the unknown. Especially with a young child.
Rents in Asheville will be higher than you realize, and cost of living is higher than where you are now. Going to an unknown area with a 4 yr. old girl and looking for babysitting and child care could be a foolhardy thing to do until you are established where you are and have a background history. Just saying.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 PM

17 posts, read 27,922 times
Love Asheville from afar and it will love you back; marry it and risk your heart. Good jobs are too few by half and rent is double what you'd believe reasonable. Heed QC's wise words for now and build something solid on your desire.

My best to you and your child.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:03 AM

411 posts, read 615,377 times
I'm a massage therapist, and I can tell you that it's tough out there. Most therapists I know must have several massage jobs just to equal one full-time job. Therapists are a dime a dozen, as you say, and there are at least 4 schools turning out new ones every day. The pay has nosedived because there are too many of us, and because there are too many massage businesses for each of them to have a thriving client base. Unless you are willing to work for nothing, or are willing to drive out of Asheville to work, you might find it difficult to make ends meet.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:03 AM

679 posts, read 1,463,158 times
Good guidance from the previous contributors. Based on the facts she posted, I think the OP knows the answer to her own question.

The standard advice on this board is either come here with a job in hand (and in writing, we've seen verbal offers not materialize after the person moved here) or a year or so worth of living expenses in hand. I don't expect that advice will become obsolete any time soon.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:05 PM

55 posts, read 128,979 times
I've lived in Asheville, Weaverville, Fletcher and Hendersonville. I actually found rent in all of these areas to be surprisingly affordable. I paid $400 for a room in downtown Asheville (shared bathroom and kitchen), $400 for a private cabin in Weaverville (with all utilities paid! But BOY WAS IT RUN DOWN AND RUSTIC), $470 for a one-bedroom apartment in Fletcher, and now $500 for a single-wide trailer, two bedrooms.

All of my places were pretty run down and ghetto, but I have friends who spend a couple hundred more a month and they have completely nice homes. I don't understand how this is a high cost of living. People seem to complain about cost of living no matter what area they are referring to. Then again, I moved here from California, so maybe there are much cheaper places and I've just never come across them.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydes View Post
With all these new massage therapy spas like Massage Envy cropping up, you can get a job right after school. Especially being a female. If it's something you're passionate about I say go for it. It can be a very rewarding career. You will never get rich at doing massage therapy but you're helping people and it can be a flexible job. GOOD LUCK..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina