Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 AM

215 posts, read 375,481 times

Advertisements

For those of you who live in Franklin, what is your internet provider of choice? We will probably be living about 5-10 miles out of town. Internet is a must, as I do a lot of work from home. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM

4,805 posts, read 10,686,661 times
See post #4 from a thread on Franklin; it's a couple years old, but may still be valid.
And Franklin fans may add to your knowledge.

True, high speed Broad Band Net is a problem in many areas of western NC, outside of the A'ville, H'ville, et al.

That thread was easily grabbed from the Search This Forum Tab, upper right hand corner of main western NC forum page.
GL, mD

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...lin-sylva.html

Old 04-06-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks motordavid! Yes, I did a search prior to posting and immediately saw that thread. As it was almost three years old, I thought I would ask again. There were only a couple of posts actually referencing internet, and it sounded to me like things might have changed as far as providers, from then to now. I would really like to know what providers are being used, and what people think of them. For instance, I use Time Warner broadband, and if I were staying where I am, I would be changing. Their customer service is terrible.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM

4,805 posts, read 10,686,661 times
pc,
Wasn't admonishing you; glad you searched...many posters don't.
Hope you get some good feedback, but BB is almost mythical here in western NC, outside of any 'metro area' cable reach.
There are always VZ air cards and the like, but calling it BB is a stretch, imo.

If/when you get to western NC, you may long for the days of real broadband, regardless of any brand's crummy CS, lol!
GL, mD

Old 04-07-2013, 07:07 AM

I had a feeling it would be a challenge. I don't consider it too much of a sacrifice though, a slow connection is a small price to pay. We will be moving this summer, I'm hoping by then I will have a better idea of my choices. I think if I can tolerate TWC's slow connection, I will be fine in Franklin.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 PM

2,923 posts, read 1,868,933 times
Franklin, when we visited we used the wonderful library in town for to check our e-mail; also the b-b-q, a small mom and pop, behind the antique mall was fantastic !

Old 11-19-2013, 11:12 PM

606 posts, read 1,989,597 times
Updating thread . . . Looks like Frontier DSL is the only game outside of Franklin proper. I am going to subscribe to the Business Ultra high speed bundle. I'll have a landline and moderately high speed Internet that I need for school and for Robert's X-Box Live subscription! It's not cheap, but it beats what I was paying Charter in Lenoir!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina