Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 AM

7,149 posts, read 12,695,855 times

Advertisements

Hi,

If you know Franklin well, I'd sure appreciate your advice.

We're coming for a week's vacation from the NC coast and I'd love your tips on where to get great food, especially ethnic or down-home, and your favorite hikes (with dog in tow) and anything else you could suggest as a "do not miss" for a nature-loving, unusual food and art-loving couple.

Really looking forward to seeing your part of the world.

Many thank you's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 AM

283 posts, read 1,292,067 times
My advice - stop before you get to Franklin and stay in Waynesville. Nice people, lovely scenery, Blue Ridge Parkway and other sites are right there... a wonderful Main St. environment... and - BONUS! - it is about 45 minutes closer!

Not trying to be smart with my post - merely wishing you a great trip. (I am not a big Franklin Fan... it's like the first stop from Atlanta that has hills). Haywood County has spectacular vistas and friendly people. I can help you with any questions you might have.

Where are you on the coast? My kids were born out that way? Carteret County. I love it there.

let me think for a little bit and I can post some items for the "things to do" list.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:14 PM

518 posts, read 2,228,160 times
We've stayed near Franklin a few times when friends have offered us the use of their cabin for free. It's nice, but heed my friend JBird's suggestion and spend some time in Waynesville. You won't regret it.

Having said that, there are a couple restaurants we really like near Franklin's town square -- the Frog and Owl and The Chef and His Wife. Also a few decent barbecue places on the edge of town -- Willy's and Fat Buddys. For local attractions, there are many gem mines, if you're into those. We also spent an afternoon at Nantahala Gorge (about 45 minutes away) and really enjoyed it. It's a canoeing/rafting hotbed, and there also are waterfalls and a riverside restaurant.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:21 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,249,744 times
Yes, gem mining around Franklin is fun, I found a pink sapphire. I have read there is a dog friendly one-mile hike around Cliffside Lake. You take the curvy hwy going towards Highlands, go 4.5 miles and turn right at the park's sign. Also, Highlands has some interesting shops.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your tips...

Waynesville for the next trip--we've already booked and paid for a cabin in Franklin. But maybe we'll get over to Waynesville to visit and look for our next vacation cabin to rent. Tips appreciated there.

We like rustic, cabin-y places with fireplaces and quiet and not too far from town as on vacations, I take a vacation from cooking dinner and we like to eat out then...pooch-friendly is a requirement for our gentleman Whippet mix companion canine, Mr. Regal, who wouldn't dream of being left behind.

And guess what, I hang my hat in Carteret County--on the wonderful Crystal Coast! Small world, eh? Love it here so much--and also love the mountains--aren't we lucky to have both?

Old 04-25-2008, 12:22 PM

34 posts, read 81,966 times
Hi Little Dolphin,
I live in Franklin. Waynesville is nice, but compared to Franklin is a little on the "pricey" side. Franklin is much more country and laid back. A previous poster said Franklin is the first place you find "hills" coming north out of Georgia. Well ...... Franklin sits down in a valley surrounded by mile high "hills"! There are literally hundreds of miles of "dog friendly" hiking trails within 10 to 15 minutes of main street Franklin. You could easily spend the entire week just hiking the area of Albert Mountain and Standing Indian (a couple of our mile high "hills"). I would suggest the following as a start ...... south of Franklin, on Hwy 441, find Coweeta Lab Road. This road takes you to the base of Albert Mountain. There you will find a ranger station and an outdoor gazebo with maps of Albert Mountain. On top of the mountain is a steel fire tower, unmaned and open to all hikers. It is a primary marker for the Appalachian Trail. On a clear day from the top of this tower you can see Georgia, So Carolina and Tennessee. You can either park in the large parking lot at the ranger station and walk all the way up (about 8 miles) or drive up the forest service road to a parking area about 1/2 mile from the tower. Hiking trails are everywhere going off in every direction. Albert Mountain has not been discovered yet by many in the hikers world, so it is very possible you could hike all day and not see another person. It's almost like hiking through a rain forest. As to restaurants, my favorite two are Fat Buddies for BBQ (everythings good, the babybacks are great!) and Cafe REL (fantastic food! the chef is the owner and everything on the menu is wonderful! reasonably priced. take cash. He does not take credit cards. expect a wait, but it is worth it! To find it, just ask anyone where the Hot Spot gas station is in downtown Franklin. Please ..... if you have any questions or problems you can call us direct at 828-524-3133. Larry & Ingrid Davis

Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 PM

Thanks so much, Larry. Your information was just what I'd hope to find and Albert Mountain sounds like a great hike. We'll sure give it a try. The cabin we rented is within walking distance to Standing Indian Park and we hope to find some good walks there, too. Your restaurant recommendations have us eager to sample the menus...many thanks.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:39 AM

283 posts, read 1,292,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks so much, Larry. Your information was just what I'd hope to find and Albert Mountain sounds like a great hike. We'll sure give it a try. The cabin we rented is within walking distance to Standing Indian Park and we hope to find some good walks there, too. Your restaurant recommendations have us eager to sample the menus...many thanks.
Little D.

The areas of Standing Indian, Beech Gap Trail, etc. are beautiful! I agree with Larry D. that Macon Co. has some wonderful places to visit. I am a huge Haywood County Fan, I suppose, as that's where I have spent most of my time. I did do a job (we provided steel for a trail bridge) out at Beech Gap and I thought the area was rugged and beautiful. I don't think you will be disappointed in any of the areas in Western NC. It is a beautiful place.

In my opinion (and in the opinion of friends) the Coast and the Mountains are the two best areas of the state. We are so fortunate to have both, within such a relatively short distance.

I know that drive to Carteret County well. My Mother lives in Beaufort. I lived in Craven Co. when my kids were little. The Crystal Coast feels like coming home each time I visit.

Wherever you go, travel safe and enjoy the mountains of the area. I hope you have a great visit.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:46 PM

10 posts, read 21,684 times
Default Franklin is Wonderful

We moved to the mountains and it was difficult to choose between Sylva and Franklin, so we purchased land between the two. Franklin and Sylva are so much more relaxed than the towns further west (Waynesville, Asheville...). If you want to be nearly in a city, then either one of those will do. Nothing wrong with them, they are just way to urban for my taste. Franklin is charming, slower, surrounded by lots of hiking, biking, fishing, canoing, kayaking, and just relaxing. A day trip to the others leaves me worn out. I can sit on Franklin's Main Street and imagine what it was like 100 years ago. The people are friendly and there are some great places to eat (yes, Fat Buddies and Cafe REL), but also Frog and the Owl, Chef and His Wife, The Gazebo, and don't forget to stop by The Sunset or Ms. Lois's for a bit of local color and good cooking. Saturday nights are fun, with Pickin' on the Square. Eat outside at Motor Grill and take the pooch with you. Standing Indian has lots of trails and it's so relaxing. If you want to get away from traffic and just kick back with good food and great people (who will wave at you even if they don't know you), Franklin is a great place to go. Don't miss the gem mining...it's a tradition. Sheffield's, north of town, seems to be a favorite. Don't miss out on the museums downtown, either. Gems, History, Tartans...there may be more. Ice cream stores (3 of them!) with great cones. Stop by the Rathskellar for an evening of entertainment (and wireless Internet), take the kids. There is a place north on 28 called Great Smoky Mtn. Fish Camp. Rent canoes, tubes, and kayaks or get a guided fish trip. The owner's name is Jerry and he's a hoot. I love Asheville and Waynesville feels a little like Asheville without the alternative lifestyles going own...just wouldn't want to vacation there. But a day trip would be fun. Now, who wants to hear me rave about Sylva?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Loves WNC--thanks kindly for your great information-filled post...I'm going to print out the responses to my postings so we don't miss any of your tips--and the tips from the other good folks who answered. Less than a week and we'll be there--I'm very excited. I truly love the Coast of NC, but my heart lifts high in the mountains--and hiking, canoeing, star and bird-watching are favorite activities--as well as local crafts and music, swapping yarns and listening to folks tell about their love and history of the area.

Franklin sounds delightful! Look for us--we're the ones with the odd looking dog who's half Whippet and half Jack Russell--looks like a very tall Jack Russell--or as one observant soul once said--A Jack on stilts. That's a fitting description--pls. say howdy if you see us...and don't honk if we're driving too slow--we flat-landers take a while to adjust to altitude and curves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina