Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 16,880 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone...My husband and I are considering moving to the Asheville, NC area come next year around June or a couple of months after that. I have been reading so many negative posts about the area, meaning, no jobs, high rent rates, not being able to rent a home there.

I work in the Medical Field as a Medical Biller / Office Manager where I am at now. My husband works in the automotive parts sales as a Manager. I have heard on here that Asheville is a Health/Touristy area which is just fine by me and my husband. Also, I have read on here that it is laid back/hippie style. We are both very laid back maybe hippie as well to a point.

My question is what area of Asheville are good areas to rent homes or the like? I do not want the bad areas of Asheville and not the very expensive areas either. Are there other little towns that might have a better selection of rental homes available? Is there a website where I can go and look at to see rental homes that are not from a Realtor?

I would like some positive feedback on Asheville...not discouraging words..lol..

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any helpful information that you can give us will be very much appreciated.
Cecilia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,695,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciliaandJim View Post
Hey Everyone...My husband and I are considering moving to the Asheville, NC area come next year around June or a couple of months after that. I have been reading so many negative posts about the area, meaning, no jobs, high rent rates, not being able to rent a home there.

I work in the Medical Field as a Medical Biller / Office Manager where I am at now. My husband works in the automotive parts sales as a Manager. I have heard on here that Asheville is a Health/Touristy area which is just fine by me and my husband. Also, I have read on here that it is laid back/hippie style. We are both very laid back maybe hippie as well to a point.

My question is what area of Asheville are good areas to rent homes or the like? I do not want the bad areas of Asheville and not the very expensive areas either. Are there other little towns that might have a better selection of rental homes available? Is there a website where I can go and look at to see rental homes that are not from a Realtor?

I would like some positive feedback on Asheville...not discouraging words..lol..

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any helpful information that you can give us will be very much appreciated.
Cecilia
Is the only reason you picked Asheville because of the "laid back/hippie style"? The area is very touristy and is in the mountains, so you should expect high rent. If you work in the Medical Field, I don't think Asheville would be the best place in North Carolina to look.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,695,642 times
Quote:

Cecilia
You don't have to live "in" Asheville Cecilia; but it is true about jobs. Don't listen to the naysayers who came with an attitude and took it back when they left the area. For the most part, we find that many come for a vacation and decide to move to Asheville without giving it much thought, or doing serious homework. As in any relocation, do not move without having a job to go to -- especially in this economy, or any economy. Do some more homework about the lovely small towns outside of Asheville, as in a 15 or 20 mile radius. If you get 7 or 8 miles outside of the city, you can actually be in the country. Google is your friend; and there are plenty of threads on this forum about life in and around Asheville, in the NC mountains in general. Here are some good websites you may be interested in:

www.carolinaliving.com

www.downtownasheville.com

www.romanticasheville.com

www.citizen-times.com Asheville newspaper (Buncombe County)

www.blueridgenow.com Henderson County newspaper

www.realtor.com put in your search criteria and get an idea of home prices *
www.careerbuilder.com for jobs
www.apartmentguide.com
www.rent.com

etc. etc.

Major hospitals:

St. Joseph Mission Hospital, downtown Asheville

Par-Dee Hospital in Hendersonville

Park Ridge Hospital in Fletcher (1/2 way between Avl. and Hvl.)

Haywood Hospital, west of Asheville

Transylvania County Hospital, southwest of Avl., in Brevard

*you don't need to get involved with a Realtor, but being one of "those" who retired a few years ago, I promise they won't bite off your head off, or lead you down the garden path. What they will give you is good information about specific towns, rents, taxes, etc. You can always search on Craigslist for ideas about rentals, but you won't know actually what the neighborhoods are like and so forth. Also we don't know enough about your specific shopping list for what your needs are. Children?, Schools?, Arts?, Entertainment?, Outdoor activities? etc. Size of house or apt? There are some very nice apartment complexes in western NC, we don't know your rent requirements. Makes it difficult to give intelligent answers here. If you want to give more info, you'll get more info in return.

The best to you !

Last edited by QuilterChick; 10-09-2012 at 05:36 AM..

Old 10-09-2012, 08:21 AM

@fltonc12.....No, that's not the only reason because of the lifestyle there in Asheville, we love the area as well. Yes, we do know its in the mountains and love it. The rent is really reasonable there actually. Its about the same as where we are located now.

I will add more information on the next post. I do appreciate you letting me know that.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM

@QuilterChick....I want to start off by saying Thank you for your response. Now let me fill you in on a little more information about us.

My husband is from North Carolina but not the Western part. His last place to live in NC was in the Raleigh/Durham area. He moved to Texas in 2007.. We met when he moved here in that year and a little over a year we married. On our second Anniversary we went to Asheville for a week since I had never been to NC. Going there and seeing Asheville and the surrounding areas that we visited, I fell in love with the whole Western part! Yes, I was born and raised near the Gulf of Mexico in South East Texas. But personally, even though I have lived here most of my life but in different areas of Texas as well, I have never ever liked the area I am from. I am not a Texas fan and people think I am crazy because I say that. I am the type of person that I say..I just don't care what others think!! I have said all my life that I really think that I should have been more in the mountains! When I get near mountains I feel for some odd reason that I belong there. Its crazy I know but not just in NC I would that I am sure but just around the mountains in general. I have always felt out of place where I am at and just so happens when my husband took me for our Anniversary to Asheville, I felt the hippie/touristy lifestyle immediately. When we took our trip it was the end of October for our Anniversary and I did get to experience the FALL weather there which we never ever see here. We don't have the 4 seasons here and I had never even been around a real FALL or Winter.
So, since my husband is from NC he would like to move back there but to the Western Part because that is the part I love, he loves it as well. I have lived on the coast long enough and so has he there, in NC and here.

We don't have to be living in Asheville at all. We would like to be no more than 20 to 25 mins away from there. What is around 20 to 25 mins out of Asheville that you would consider to be a good area to move or look into? This may help you help me.
1. We don't have any kids at home. We have 3 grown kids that are on there on and not living with us any longer.

2. We have 2 two small rat terriers which we call our kids..hehe..so maybe an area that offers possible parks, trails, woods,...country lifestyle but not in the boonies as we call it here. We would like to raise chickens, maybe do a little gardening. Nothing major or big. I didnt know about zoning wise there which would be a good area for that.

3. Rent wise here we have paid $1000.00 a month. We are not rich, we don't live richly, we try and just have the bare basics and a little extra to do a few things only. I know everyone talks about jobs and having a job before you move, etc., my husbands job he could transfer to an area if they are hiring. That is one reason we are wanting some help understanding whats available in or around Asheville. Like I said though, it doesn't have to be Asheville at all. But I need to know outside of Asheville area, what is a good area to move to.

4. I do work in the Health care. I am a Medical Biller /Office Manager.At this point, if I get a job working in the Healthcare field then that is fine. If I don't, then I can do whatever. We are not looking to get rich at this age.. Me 45 and my husband 50. We are just wanting change from this very dull lifestyle here in Texas and to be able to get fresh air, a little snow, go walk and enjoy the scenery, take pictures, take our doggies outside for a good run and maybe play some golf etc.

5. Our wants are not much at all. Golfing every now and then, outdoor activities, walking, scenery, a few things to go look at , sit somewhere on the weekends to eat lunch so a very simple lifestyle. No kids, No schools to worry about with us. Just living a country mountain/hippie lifestyle.

6. We would prefer a rent home or a cabin is fine as well. I am not much into apartments just because we have our dogs with us. Two bedroom is fine as well.

QuilterChick, I Thank you so much for your response. I truly appreciate it. I just need to be steered in a direction of areas to look into that are not so rent expensive, nothing over $1000.00. Preferably $900.00..hehehe..

Again, thank you so much for all of you input on here and I am looking forward to hearing more from everyone.

Cecilia and Jim

Old 10-09-2012, 10:40 AM

42 posts, read 175,795 times
I moved here 2 years ago and I also based what I wanted to pay in rent according to what I had been paying before we moved. I just want to caution you because even though Id been in the medical field 20 yrs I took a pay cut when I moved here. The wages are alittle on the low side. I also find groceries, utilities etc to be alittle higher here. Just make sure to check on wages for the job you will be doing in this area and compare cost of living expenses overall..then add your rent. That will give you a more complete picture of what you'll be looking for when you move. Best of Luck!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
@QuilterChick....I want to start off by saying Thank you for your response. Now let me fill you in on a little more information about us.

My husband is from North Carolina but not the Western part. His last place to live in NC was in the Raleigh/Durham area. He moved to Texas in 2007.. We met when he moved here in that year and a little over a year we married. On our second Anniversary we went to Asheville for a week since I had never been to NC. Going there and seeing Asheville and the surrounding areas that we visited, I fell in love with the whole Western part! Yes, I was born and raised near the Gulf of Mexico in South East Texas. But personally, even though I have lived here most of my life but in different areas of Texas as well, I have never ever liked the area I am from. I am not a Texas fan and people think I am crazy because I say that. I am the type of person that I say..I just don't care what others think!! I have said all my life that I really think that I should have been more in the mountains! When I get near mountains I feel for some odd reason that I belong there. Its crazy I know but not just in NC I would that I am sure but just around the mountains in general. I have always felt out of place where I am at and just so happens when my husband took me for our Anniversary to Asheville, I felt the hippie/touristy lifestyle immediately. When we took our trip it was the end of October for our Anniversary and I did get to experience the FALL weather there which we never ever see here. We don't have the 4 seasons here and I had never even been around a real FALL or Winter.
So, since my husband is from NC he would like to move back there but to the Western Part because that is the part I love, he loves it as well. I have lived on the coast long enough and so has he there, in NC and here.

We don't have to be living in Asheville at all. We would like to be no more than 20 to 25 mins away from there. What is around 20 to 25 mins out of Asheville that you would consider to be a good area to move or look into? This may help you help me.
1. We don't have any kids at home. We have 3 grown kids that are on there on and not living with us any longer.
  • For travel purposes to have visitors, and to travel, you may want to have access to airports and connections. 3 airports to consider. Asheville Regional which is really closer to Hendersonville. Greenville/Spartanburg (SC) over the state line, 45 min. drive. Charlotte NC: 2 hrs. drive from Hendersonville. That alone should keep you within the 20+/- mile radius of Asheville.
2. We have 2 two small rat terriers which we call our kids..hehe..so maybe an area that offers possible parks, trails, woods,...country lifestyle but not in the boonies as we call it here. We would like to raise chickens, maybe do a little gardening. Nothing major or big. I didnt know about zoning wise there which would be a good area for that.
  • Some apartments will allow 2 pets under 30 lb. each. Yes... plenty of parks, trails, woods, everywhere within walking distance depending on where you "land", or an easy drive. This is absolutely the best time to buy a home. Inventory is excellent, prices are down, and interest rates are 3.5% on a fixed rate mortgage. The perfect storm for opportunity. It is much less $$ to buy than to rent. A decent 2 bedroom apt. in a nice area in or close to Asheville will run you around $1200/mo. including utilities and amenities, pool etc. $900 will get you a one bedroom; and I would only suggest that on a 6 mo. lease while you look around to buy.
3. Rent wise here we have paid $1000.00 a month. We are not rich, we don't live richly, we try and just have the bare basics and a little extra to do a few things only. I know everyone talks about jobs and having a job before you move, etc., my husbands job he could transfer to an area if they are hiring. That is one reason we are wanting some help understanding whats available in or around Asheville. Like I said though, it doesn't have to be Asheville at all. But I need to know outside of Asheville area, what is a good area to move to.
  • See above.
4. I do work in the Health care. I am a Medical Biller /Office Manager.At this point, if I get a job working in the Healthcare field then that is fine. If I don't, then I can do whatever. We are not looking to get rich at this age.. Me 45 and my husband 50. We are just wanting change from this very dull lifestyle here in Texas and to be able to get fresh air, a little snow, go walk and enjoy the scenery, take pictures, take our doggies outside for a good run and maybe play some golf etc.
  • All of the hospitals have websites where you can review what they have available, and even submit your resume online. The Career Builder website I gave you earlier should be helpful as well as the various local newspapers, and employment agencies. Hubby can submit applications to the auto dealers (of which there are many, remember, it's NASCAR territory in NC, he may have a good chance of getting something by inquiring directly.) Also, check www.monster.com for jobs in the areas.
5. Our wants are not much at all. Golfing every now and then, outdoor activities, walking, scenery, a few things to go look at , sit somewhere on the weekends to eat lunch so a very simple lifestyle. No kids, No schools to worry about with us. Just living a country mountain/hippie lifestyle.

6. We would prefer a rent home or a cabin is fine as well. I am not much into apartments just because we have our dogs with us. Two bedroom is fine as well.
  • Nice towns that are within your 25 mile parameter would be: Weaverville, a tad north of Asheville, Black Mountain, a tad east of Asheville; West Asheville itself may interest you and is up and coming laid back more hippy type atmosphere, older homes etc. Arden, Fletcher, Fairview are south of Asheville but have no town centers per se. Lovely areas close to shopping etc. Hendersonville, south of Asheville by about 23 mi. has everything in a small quaint atmosphere, plenty of shopping, medical, etc. Ditto on Waynesville which the furthest west of Asheville by a good 25 miles, but also quaint, has everything. Then a very small "comfy" town southwest of Asheville, although not easy to traverse the area from because the town is up against a mountain or two or three, is Brevard, some may find it too confining. Let me mention, ALL of these areas have fabulous restaurants, arts and crafts, entertainment and so forth.
QuilterChick, I Thank you so much for your response. I truly appreciate it. I just need to be steered in a direction of areas to look into that are not so rent expensive, nothing over $1000.00. Preferably $900.00..hehehe..

Again, thank you so much for all of you input on here and I am looking forward to hearing more from everyone.

Cecilia and Jim
Cecilia and Jim: See my replies by paragraph above. And... you are entirely welcome ! always willing to help the folks. Yes... the mountains are seductive! and the people are warm and welcoming. You will notice people just smilling as they drive along. One client of mine put it that way a few years ago, she was from Ohio, a/k/a Stressville she called it and figured people in the mountains are always happy because they smile a lot. She is right.

One more thing you will both enjoy I believe is the magazine "Our State". If you're not up to a move until a year from now, do yourself a favor and subscribe to it. www.ourstate.com Really gives you more of a flavor for what is available ... and you'll be a huge fan of NC after the first issue.

If you can, take a few vacations of at least a week at a time and get a feel for various towns. Cost of living is all relevant, and the closer you get to Asheville, however, the expenses go up exponentially. Live within the County(ies), not in the City limits (property taxes will be higher). Hope the above helps you.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 PM

@artistic.maze.....Thank you for your reponse. Overall, do you like it there after two years of living there? I hate to say this but I can almost bet you I am not making near what I should be making at my job now. I run a whole Psychiatry and Therapist office by myself..I do it all and make crap for pay. I am also biligual in Spanish and never get paid for that either. Here where I live is a horrible paying area. Everyone tells me that I should be making really good money..HAHA! Thats a joke! So, if I move there and make about the same...which isnt much now then all will be okay..lol..

I found a website that does comparisons to both cities and it seems to be a little higher there in Asheville but everything else much the same within a few dollars. Like any other place, all areas have the rich and famous I call it, which, we could never afford and then there are the nasty trashy areas which I am not interested in at all.

I will continue to look in the surrounding areas for places and whats happening around there. It will not be until June the ealiest that we get to head out towards there.

Thank you so very much for the heads up on wages and bills. That helps that you did mention that. If you can think of anything else that might be of interest to us, since you been living there for two years....I truly do not mind hearing more from you.

Are you still in the Medical field?

Thank you, Cecilia

Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 AM

@QuilterChick......Thank you so very much for all your help! We will be looking into all that you have mentioned to us on here. I showed my husband last night all that you have posted on here and his thing he said to me was....We are not looking into finding killer jobs there that pay a lot. We are going to make sure wherever we go that he can get transferred close to the are we are wanting to move to. Asheville just happens to be the area we like and want to try with Plan A first.
So, in other words, he has to be able to transfer to an area we are wanting are we are not going to move to that area. I am just thinking that no matter where we end up there is always going to be issues with economy. We are just looking for simple and to make it.

We are not wanting to purchase a home at this age. We are just going to rent. So much information you provided and you have been so very helpful. I will check closer into those other areas that you mentioned. I am not really interested in moving directly into Asheville but some where in a surrounding area. I prefer closer to the mountains and views instead of city life like I have now..heheh

Thank you Again, If you have anything else that would be of help please come back and post on here again. My goal is now checking into all information provided by you. If I have any questions I will be back to post and ask you.

Cecilia

Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
@QuilterChick......Thank you so very much for all your help! We will be looking into all that you have mentioned to us on here. I showed my husband last night all that you have posted on here and his thing he said to me was....We are not looking into finding killer jobs there that pay a lot. We are going to make sure wherever we go that he can get transferred close to the are we are wanting to move to. Asheville just happens to be the area we like and want to try with Plan A first.
So, in other words, he has to be able to transfer to an area we are wanting are we are not going to move to that area. I am just thinking that no matter where we end up there is always going to be issues with economy. We are just looking for simple and to make it.

We are not wanting to purchase a home at this age. We are just going to rent. So much information you provided and you have been so very helpful. I will check closer into those other areas that you mentioned. I am not really interested in moving directly into Asheville but some where in a surrounding area. I prefer closer to the mountains and views instead of city life like I have now..heheh

Thank you Again, If you have anything else that would be of help please come back and post on here again. My goal is now checking into all information provided by you. If I have any questions I will be back to post and ask you.

Cecilia
Happy for you both as you plan your relocation; I usually tell folks to draw a circle around Asheville for a radius of no more than 25 miles; and that will put you in a reasonable driving location for employment as well as possible views depending on the elevation. You have enough information there to keep you busy and looking forward to your move. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina