Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 16,868 times

Advertisements

@QuilterChick...Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,490,637 times
Be warned "25 miles out" is quite a radius in the winter on country roads. Furthermore, 25 miles can take up the 3 times as long as 25 miles on the highway would due to slow speed limits and twisty roads. I would think you'll want to pin point a job location first and then try and find housing. That or find a very short term (3month) appt. rental so that you can get to know the area better and have time to find a really good rental.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM

765 posts, read 2,575,263 times
Not good news, but a friend who used of work there told me today that Haywood Regional let 50+ employees go yesterday due or lack of patients. Definitely don't move without first finding a job with a written guarantee. I've heard of folks who thought they had a job offer Neil they moved here and then got the shock of their lives! You've gotten a lot of good advice from others here.

Update: actually it was 82 layoffs among the 3 Medwest hospitals of which Haywood is one. They also cut 79 jobs through attrition for a total of 161 jobs lost.

Last edited by Cofga; 10-10-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 AM

@SaucyStarGazer .....Thank you I will take that into consideration as well. How are the winters there? I was reading that they weren't too bad..lol??
Here we have no winter at all, no snow, and the coldest months here are January and February and its not that cold at all.

Thank you, Cecilia

Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 AM

@Cofga.......I heard all that as well. For such a beautiful area (Asheville), I cant understand why the economy is so bad there? Yes, it is a touristy location but what Asheville has to offer someone as for as so much to do there and see, its so hard to believe there isnt more.

Thank you for letting me know about the job cuts.

Cecilia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina