Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,916 times

Advertisements

My family spent this past Christmas and New Year in Banner Elk and fell in Love with the town. We plan on staying there from now on and would like to move there one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
Years ago i went to Lees McRae College in Banner Elk, it was a winter wonderland. Valle Crucis is same way. But more stuff and more to do in Boone.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 PM

118 posts, read 234,901 times
We bought a place close to Banner Elk. I love the area. We are close to Roan mountain.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Beautiful views, nice folks. And you have a good hospital nearby, as well. Not too far to get back into Boone or Blowing Rock for entertainment, but Lees-McRae has various offerings that the public can enjoy, as well.

Are you actively looking for a place to buy for retirement?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM

25 posts, read 72,911 times
Default Looking, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Beautiful views, nice folks. And you have a good hospital nearby, as well. Not too far to get back into Boone or Blowing Rock for entertainment, but Lees-McRae has various offerings that the public can enjoy, as well.

Are you actively looking for a place to buy for retirement?
My wife and I have visited twice now, once this past July and again earlier this month...we live in MD now and are looking for a place to settle down full time after retirement, in about a year. We loved the area and are interested in the Vista condo's, but are concerned about a couple of things: 1) How harsh are the winters, and will we be bored if we do not ski? 2) Will we be bored in general once the initial allurement of the views wears off? What kinds of activities do retired folks engage in to keep busy and active? Sounds like Boone, Blowing Rock and the college are a good start. Any insights would be appreciated. Thx.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM

25 posts, read 72,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llovin View Post
We bought a place close to Banner Elk. I love the area. We are close to Roan mountain.

How have you been enjoying BE so far?

Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gtr View Post
My wife and I have visited twice now, once this past July and again earlier this month...we live in MD now and are looking for a place to settle down full time after retirement, in about a year. We loved the area and are interested in the Vista condo's, but are concerned about a couple of things: 1) How harsh are the winters, and will we be bored if we do not ski? 2) Will we be bored in general once the initial allurement of the views wears off? What kinds of activities do retired folks engage in to keep busy and active? Sounds like Boone, Blowing Rock and the college are a good start. Any insights would be appreciated. Thx.
We live an active lifestyle (skiing, biking, etc.) I'll echo anifani's recommendation to check out community offerings at Lees McRae. There are a lot of retired people who spend the summer months in the area, and a commiserate level of activities that time of year. I really can't speak to the level of that sort of activity in Banner Elk proper in the winter (I still work full-time). However, there's always lots going on at Appalachian State in Boone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina