Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 AM

177 posts, read 409,876 times

Advertisements

Well, in a little more than a week, I will be a new Murphy-ite. Any others who can recommend professionals in the area. Great haircutter, dentist, lady-parts Dr. veterinarian, best place for ice cream, all that important stuff one needs to know, when you're new in town. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,337,016 times
the traditional way is to take a plate of cookies and visit the neighbors. ask them.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Neighbors? What neighbors? Just kidding, but we are pretty far out, I'm already in email contact with the nearest neighbor who spends months at a time in Florida, so that's why I was hoping to use cyber-neighbors to help.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 PM

32 posts, read 186,031 times
What is Murphy? It looks close to Ellijay, GA. One of my fav towns. We live in the Tampa area, but are looking to move to WNC in 2 to 3 years.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 PM

We were considering Ellijay as well as Blue Ridge, but found our dream house in Murphy. Saw it online, drove down from NY state and that was it, bought it that day. Murphy looks like a nice town, so I'm hoping to get acquainted with it as soon as possible.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM

32 posts, read 186,031 times
Sounds good, Ellijay and Blue Ridge are great small towns. My only concern is my 5 year old and them being too small of a town. If it was just my wife and I , then it would be perfect.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:23 PM

65 posts, read 135,374 times
Hair cut right in town. One block off Main street. Can't remember the name of the place but there is a steak house that serves great meals. A walMart is in town as well as a large Grocer. Kroger I think. I live in Ft. Myers but have a cabin in Murphy. Love it. Can't wait until 9/2013 when I will hang up my sneekers for good. Nantahala has a great lake for fishing and water sports. Bryson offers cayaks and white water rafting. I just love that town. In winter, Maggie Valley is the place. About 1.5 hours away.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,429,039 times
Wish I could help you out, but all the service businesses I frequent are in North Georgia.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM

We are spittin' distance from the GA state line, so I am not opposed to drive for something outstanding!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,153,375 times
Kirby Mom...

The Big Grocery in town is Ingles.. I used to drive up to the Murphy Ingles to shop before the Blairsville one got re-modeled. It is nice. Coming from NY if your used to Shop-Rite or Price Chopper, it beats the heck out of either by miles.

The steak house that Gator dog speaks of I'm guessing is the Murphy Chophouse. It's good.. a bit pricey in my opinion, but it's as elegant as your gonna get around these parts. Personally, I prefer good ole fashioned home-style food. Hubby and I like Rib-Country out 64 west of Murphy. Once again.. one of these in Blairsville too. Best BBQ I've ever had.. no. But not bad either! I might add... you will get better Mexican food in Murphy than in NY. Our recent stint in NY (the hudson valley) we couldn't find a decent mexican joint. On the other hand, I'm still looking for a decent Chinese place in the mountains.. I wish somebody if they knows would share because so far... ugh. NY pizzeria... don't expect it. I don't care for any of the pizza places in Murphy, and the local places in Blairsville are okay... not great. I can handle any kind of pizza.. NY, Chicago deep-dish, Sicilian.. I don't care... but so far the only impressive pizza I've found has been AnyBody's in Atlanta.. So your basically stuck with chain pizza... When it comes to breakfast food... Come down to Blairsville and go to The SawMill Place!!! When we get home it's a must for biscuits and gravy, grits, pancakes... oh... just plain good food!!!

If you like having your nails done... T-Nails in the little plaza on 64 has always done a great job for me.

When it comes to a meat market there are two in NC which we use every week. Either we go to Brasstown Beef (out near the Bellview and Martins Creek area). There is a farm store @ the farm itself and you can not beat the quality. Or George's butcher shop, which recently moved to the little strip mall where Big Lots (Old Ashley Furniture) is now located. Never gotten anything bad there either!

Now... if your close to the GA line... and don't mind driving to Blairsville... I love Barikke' salon. We travel all over this country, but I won't let anyone else do my hair anymore. Very Very pleased.

We use a general practitioner in Blairsville that hubby and I both are happy with, and we are happy with Union County Vet clinic. When it comes to Ice Cream... it's all about the Mayfields!

Welcome to the area.... as a relative newbie (going on 3 years now) I'm still learning all about the area, but it is so much fun to get out an explore.

Last edited by aus10; 01-10-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina