Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM

177 posts, read 412,161 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all the valuable info. We're coming down from the Hudson Valley too, southern Orange County. My better half will be happy to hear that the Mexican food is good, but we will miss the local pizza places here. We'll be getting over to Blairsville to the VA so I'm looking forward to taste-testing all the eateries in the area.
Thanks again, I'm keeping a list of everyone's recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,475,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
On the other hand, I'm still looking for a decent Chinese place in the mountains.. I wish somebody if they knows would share because so far... ugh.
Have you tried Asiano in Hiawassee? That's our favorite.

Asiano Restaurant

Kirby Mom, you have New Happy Garden in Murphy.

New Happy Garden Buffet and Grill, Murphy NC

Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,183,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyMom View Post
Thanks so much for all the valuable info. We're coming down from the Hudson Valley too, southern Orange County. My better half will be happy to hear that the Mexican food is good, but we will miss the local pizza places here. We'll be getting over to Blairsville to the VA so I'm looking forward to taste-testing all the eateries in the area.
Thanks again, I'm keeping a list of everyone's recommendations
No kidding... we just spent five months in Florida, NY... Orange County right?

Thank you, Thank you Shooting Stars! We will be giving Asiano a try as soon as we get back home!!!

Aus - stuck right now in the flat lands of Texas...

Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM

Yep, we are south of there. Tuxedo. For another week.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Anywhere locally to find bagels, or is there a Dunkin' Donuts?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:13 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,183,674 times
No Dunkin Donuts... no Krispy Kreme (as far as fresh store), you'll find them boxed and in convenience stores. I'm not sure about Murphy, but there is a place called Grinds and Glazes in Blairsville that sells wonderful coffee and pastries.

There used to be a bakery in Blue Ridge that was tremendous, but last time I went by it was closed down. I'm not sure if they went out of business or just moved? Every time we get home it seems like a lot of places have shut down and something new pops up in its place. The economy is really taking its toll on a lot of the small town business's around...

Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 AM

535 posts, read 1,750,095 times
There is an ice cream place in town, I can't recall the name of the street. It's on the same road as Big Lots is, west of the credit union. Pretty good stuff.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:03 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,984,390 times
Doc Cranford in Peachtree is the best vet I have ever used! And no offense, but drive to Asiano's, don't go to the Chinese place in Murphy - too many bugs. Brother's is a great restaurant - has the best Fried Caramel Cheesecake - EVER!!

We used Chatuge Family Practice - Dr.Molison to be exact, and he was great. Stay away from the other male doc there, shoot can't remember his name. He was extremely condescending and rude. There was a hair salon, ran by a lady named Kathleen, right across from the Henn theater, she was awesome.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 AM

How about fresh bagels? Anyone? I've been getting the frozen ones from the supermarket but they just don't cut it. I see Shoebooties has a lunch special today with a bagel sandwich, so there must be somewhere to buy them fresh locally. I wonder if they'd tell me if I asked really nicely.

Meanwhile, to update, we LOVE Ingles, the salad bar is the best, we are in there a couple times a week. Their meat is nice and the fresh fish is fantastic.
Love Big Lots too and I think we need our own reserved parking spot at Lowes as we are there almost daily.
Had a date night dinner at Doyles that was outstanding.
The DMV is such a treat after coming from the NY area where most people would rather have a root canal with no anesthetic than go there. A staff of 2, and little or no wait. Heaven.
So far we just love Murphy

Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,475,935 times
I used to get the Pepperidge Farm bagels at Ingles in the bread aisle. They aren't frozen and are much better.

There is Downtown Bakery in Murphy, but they don't sell bagels.

Downtown Bakery at Murphy - Restaurant - Murphy, NC | Facebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina