Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 AM

177 posts, read 411,711 times

Advertisements

When we move down, we want to take a day and do this, it seems silly but I've done it where we live now, since we are in NY but near the border of NJ and not far from PA.
I want to have breakfast in NC, lunch in GA and dinner in TN. Not necessarily in that order, but I was wondering if I can get some recommendations of places to eat that have great grub in the tri-state area. I don't want to drive more than an hour into GA or TN. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,463,185 times
Well, you didn't say what day of the week. Some restaurants serve Brunch on the weekends, but no breakfast on weekdays. It would be easier to have your breakfast in Murphy, but there are not a lot of great choices for breakfast there. However, I did find one with very good reviews.

NORTH CAROLINA

Blue Mountain Coffee and Grill Blue Mountain Coffee and Grill - Restaurant | Facebook
US 64 East and Highway 441
Murphy, NC
828-837-1362

Seems like you'd have to eat breakfast and go home to wait for lunch, because you don't have to drive too far into Georgia.

GEORGIA

For Georgia, I highly recommend Michaelee's Chocolate Caffe for lunch. Excellent service! Their dinner menu is exactly the same as the lunch menu. (Breakfast on weekends only.)

Hiawassee

Michaelee's Chocolate Caffe Michaelee's Chocolate Caffe, Hiawassee Georgia
142 N. Main Street
Hiawassee, GA
706-896-2752

Cafe Portofino serves lunch and dinner, but shines at dinner with live music on weekends - very popular.

Cafe Portofino Lakeview Dining :: Hiawassee, GA :: Cafe' Portofino
3295 US Highway 76
Hiawassee, GA
706-435-0502

Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge, GA has some nice restaurants also, with more of a historic walking downtown. Harvest on Main (lunch/dinner) has good reviews and someone recommended L & L Beanery (breakfast/lunch) to me, but I have not been to either.

Harvest on Main http://harvestonmain.com/
576 E. Main Street
Blue Ridge, GA
706-946-6164

L & L Beanery
260 W. Main Street
Blue Ridge, GA
706-632-3242

TENNESSEE

No specific recommendation for Tennessee. You could go to Copperhill, TN, which is a tiny town with a handful of restaurants. There are other tiny so-so towns with restaurants. Ho Hum on that idea. Or you could go all the way to Chattanooga and have tons of choices and a great downtown to walk around.

Chattanooga, Tennessee Visitors Bureau - Chattanooga's Official Travel Site

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 10-11-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Thank you! I will be keeping notes for our dining day.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 PM

What month are you going?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:54 PM

No clue, we just closed on our house today and have to move down from NY state. So much to do, and looking so forward to learning about the area and exploring.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 AM

Some places you might like:

John C. Campbell Folk School - https://www.folkschool.org/

Lake Hiwassee - TVA: Hiwassee Reservoir

Lake Chatuge - TVA: Chatuge Reservoir

The Murphy Chophouse - The Chophouse,Restaurants in Murphy NC,Restaurants in Hiawassee, GA,Murphy NC Restaurants,Steaks in Murphy NC,Chops,Chops in Murphy NC

The Copper Door Restaurant in Hayesville - The Copper Door - fine dining in beautiful Hayesville, NC (828)237-4030

Italian Cafe & Deli - Great Restaurants in Murphy, NC
(across from the Kia dealership south of town - only hear great things)

Antica Roma Caffe - Antica Roma Caffe - Murphy | Urbanspoon
(this is a new one to me!)

Doyle's Cedar Hill Restaurant - Doyle's Cedar Hill – Fine Mountain Cuisine

Shoebooties Cafe - ShoeBootiesCafe.com

Moose Hollow Trading Co. - Rustic Furniture & Decor | Moose Hollow
(mountain/lodge/cabin furniture)

Heading up north you might like:

Nantahala River White Water Rafting - Nantahala River White Water Rafting

Eat at Relia's Garden Restaurant while there! - http://www.noc.com/noccom/lodging-a-...en-restaurant/

The Cherohala Skyway - The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway

The Snowbird Lodge - Snowbird Mountain Lodge on the Cherohala Skyway in the smoky mountains of North Carolina. 800-941-9290
(you must eat there - one of the best meals of my life! - need reservations)

Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest - Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Fontana Village - http://www.fontanavillage.com/

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 10-12-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Thank you so much Shoebooties is already on my list, I just am fascinated with the name lol. I am c/p your recommendations and can't wait to trip around to see everything. We were only in the area for 2 days but think it will be a great place to retire and relax.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,501,025 times
This is a cool idea. Be sure to take pictures and document it here for use to live vicariously through you!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 PM

228 posts, read 861,001 times
Be sure to also take a drive and have lunch in Tellico Plains, TN at:

Tellico Grains Bakery tellico-grains-bakery.com/

Tellico Kats Delicatessen & General Store on the Tellico River

www.tellico-plains.com/tellico-kats.html

Beautiful lodge restaurant LaPrade's:

Check out in Georgia at Lake Burton Restaurant at LaPrade's Marina on Lake Burton -

www.lapradesmarina.com/

Don't forget The Daily Grind & Wine, Rib Country & Chevelle's in Murphy.

There's also a new restaurant on 19/129 on way to Blairsville which was very good but have forgotten name of it but it's a stand alone log cabin style building

When you have a chance also take a drive to Dahlonega, GA nice llittle town for lunch & shopping. Blue Ridge& Elligjay are both wonderful little towns with some good restaurants.

It's great in Murphy as you criss-cross the different States all the time. Wish we were there to enjoy with you.
Congrats on making your dream come true! Enjoy!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM

If Dahlonega weren't so in the path of development that constantly marches north from Atlanta, I would have considered moving there. That town is just beautiful! Especially the town square at Christmas. They use fresh evergreens on the store fronts very creatively and there are white lights strung in all the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina