Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:56 PM

26 posts, read 67,460 times

Advertisements

So the wife and I are looking to get a small chunk of land , somewhat secluded and build a nice lil house, maybe some critters, maybe some gardens and such.

We are thinking along the lines of homestead/retreat to get back to a more simple life.

How is the land up there? Lots of tourists from Asheville come summer time? Any serious environmental issues concerns?

I would appreciate as much feedback as possible, even if its about other areas in the region. We arent stuck with any one area...just want the best suited for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 AM

25 posts, read 77,252 times
Kalos
Not sure why you sandwiched Murphy&Glenville together.I have a place near Glenville and it is nowhere near Murphy

Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
I agree that Murphy and Glenville are not exactly bordering each other...
I often wonder how enquiring posters pick a/one spot of "interest"?
Throw a dart at the map?!

My 50Cts:
-"Lots of tourists from Asheville"... yes, Western NC is a summertime
tourist area. Not a big deal or, of concern in terms of "area hunting", imo.
-Western NC is a large geographical area, with many different kinds of
towns, "areas", feel, etc. I rec'd a few trips to look around and investigate.
-"chunk of land": there are thousands of "chunks" available, literally; they
could range from a barely build able spot of bottom land to a difficult to build
steep mtn side. No idea what the OP is looking for, per the OP's post.
RE web sites list numerous lots for sale, and many parcels never make the
listings, but any RE joint(s) usually have many more in their "pocket inventory".
-"Simple life"? Yes, if one is retired; if not, it is standard work situ, often with
a commute. Jobs are slim to none, and Slim is on the bus to west Texas.
-Great area to live, imo: not crowded by any standard, 4 seasons, friendly
people, multi-cultured and geographically diverse population; a live and let live
mentality, imo.
Hope this helps...better defined needs on the OP's part would be helpful in terms
of more specific responses.
GL, mD

Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the replies...

We are looking for a small couple of acres along a ridge line or something with views. Wooded preferably. To build a home and live a more simple life. Not worrying bout the hustle and bustle of the "big city" or the "corporate rat race".

We want fresh clean well/spring water, clean air and a view. Pretty much everything... :P

The reason I ask about tourists is in FLA we get "snow birds" mirgrating down every winter and everything changes. Traffic sucks, grocery stores are always packed. The entire attitude of the town changes...

Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
Thanks for the replies...

We are looking for a small couple of acres along a ridge line or something with views. Wooded preferably. To build a home and live a more simple life. Not worrying bout the hustle and bustle of the "big city" or the "corporate rat race".

We want fresh clean well/spring water, clean air and a view. Pretty much everything... :P

The reason I ask about tourists is in FLA we get "snow birds" mirgrating down every winter and everything changes. Traffic sucks, grocery stores are always packed. The entire attitude of the town changes...
Look at Franklin and surrounds, in Macon County.

Yes, there is a tourist (or terrorist) season. BUT, on a small scale. My realtor was fuming about traffic jam on Main Street, one summer, and when I asked about it she exclaimed that there were at least 3 cars ahead of her at the traffic light! I noticed more people at the grocery store and Walmart but it was never overwhelming.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 AM

25 posts, read 77,252 times
There is all sorts of land for sale in WNC.To give you an idea,after our search we decided on the triangle of Franklin/Sylva/Cashiers.We ended up building 3 miles north of Glenville just off hwy107.We are in a 64 lot subd developed in 1985 16 homes built none assessed for more than 300K(in other words fairly modest compared to other areas).It is heavily wooded,lot size 1-3 acres,paved roads(some steep,but very park like)Hoa fees $300/after you build $400,includes water.Just come up ,hop in your vehicle and go get lost,you"ll be amazed what you can find.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 AM

I was hoping for something not in a HOA...perhaps even backing to a National Park or soemthing. I need me some privacy...

Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
Quote:
I was hoping for something not in a HOA...perhaps even backing to a National Park or soemthing. I need me some privacy...
As I suggested, hit the RE sites for the areas of interest to you;
most RE sites have considerable land for sale, and call a few as
most have some land parcels "in pocket" that aren't up on their
sites.

That course of action will be more fruitful than hoping a poster
will write, "there's a great 2 acres over in so & so...", imo.

When you nail down some potential land chunks, then make a visit
and/or ask again for local knowledge. It is a big geographical area;
waiting for some specific pointers is analogous to someone asking
where to live in NE FL, or west coast FL, or...you get the picture.
GL, mD

Old 07-20-2010, 07:36 PM

Fair enough...

Are there any particular environmental concerns in any part of Western NC?

Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,392 times
Quote:
Fair enough...

Are there any particular environmental concerns in any part of Western NC?
Much of western NC has very little zoning, and with that has come significant environmental harm.

There has also been overdevelopment and some watersheds are just about tapped out - I am thinking of Highlands, NC - taking 64 over to Cashiers and points further.

There are erosion and landslide issues because of building on steep slopes using less than best practices.

There are problems with water quality and sewage going into the Little Tennessee around Franklin, NC ... and much of NC still has problems with "straight pipe" sewage disposal.

I could continue, but maybe this isn't to the point of your question. Tell us more what you mean by your question.

P.S. Western NC is a huge area ... there are some areas that are more pristine and intelligently developed (or left alone) than other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina