Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times

Advertisements

Fading fast and, going away by the minute up here at altitude. Last night and today's rain have taken a toll up here. Great time of the year, however. Maybe some snow or flurries this eve.

A shot from a couple days ago, with sun out, looking down the Mtn:

Same shot, from yesterday, with no sun:

And, shot from yesteday, looking down the slope of trees towards LRCC:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:14 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
I was gonna come on here and say, David, you might be getting some snow tonight! You lucky so and so! Send some my way if it comes!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I was gonna come on here and say, David, you might be getting some snow tonight! You lucky so and so! Send some my way if it comes!
Yea for real. I'll never see snow again living in hel....i mean SC....

Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 PM

353 posts, read 426,497 times
Hope they can stay in the trees in another few weeks

Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
I AM READY FOR SOME SNOW NOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, yesterday I woke up and there was snow coating the peaks of the high mountains around Barnardsville. Mt. Mitchell, Mt. Craig were especially snowy, but strangely this one mountain that looms over central Barnardsville was even more snowy. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH I seriously need to get myself to somewhere where real winter happens. All I can do for this year is just hope hope hope we get some snow. A lot of it too. And then next year I should be in Boone, so it will be a guarantee.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
We had 30 degs F, with 45+ mph winds, and a light coating of snow on the roof(s), decks, and all the vegetation, yesterday morning. It was chillywilly.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Spent the weekend in Hendersonville, Asheville, Maggie Valley, and went over to entrance to Cades Cove and wow the colors are fading fast! Some areas they are gone and the trees are naked. Some strips there were lots of color still. Some places were still green. A very mixed bag this autumn! Last year, I spent the same weekend in Maggie Valley and there was definitely lots more color. I did see snow on the side of a mountain in NC just over the TN border. Chilly mornings. It was lovely! Plenty of apple picking to be had as well. It was a fabulous weekend. Too bad today is Monday....blah....LOL

Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,255 times
I know the leaf event is nearly over, but I just had to offer a few comments on what my eyes hath seen in the last few days here, leading up to Halloween weekend, when only once in a great while the leaves will continue into November. I think this is one of those weekends.

So, a few days ago, I'm driving from downtown and onto the Patton Avenue bridge, and as you know the view from that spot is panoramic and varied. Even tho the Asheville area leaf change was spread out and didn't slam all at once, from that crest on the hill I could see there was still some oranges and reds, amongst the burnt russet shades covering the mtns, and of course the evergreen that makes a great backdrop for the whole experience. The impact was not as "bright" as MOTORDAVID's pics a week or so back, but folks, when I descended onto the bridge, I was stunned by the view, even tho the leaves were fading in color, and I swear I could see the Smokies waaaaaay off past the Pisgah area, they seemed so far since I could compare to some closer hills like the Spivey Mtn Range, and to top it all off, clouds in the distance and some fog in between, I just appreciated the few seconds I had there to take it all in. And this was the last weekend of October when usually the colors are all done.

And then yesterday, it rained a little, and riding from west to east on I40, all the woods that line that roadway (a perfectly good two-lane country road...smile), they opened up in depth from leaves having fallen, and what were left were so drenched in vibrant color that I felt like I was walking in those woods as I drove along, enjoying the beauty and peace of the mountains on a fall day.

As of yesterday, Friday the 29th, the yellows and reds are still there, the hills have a muted rust vibe, and our little curvy back roads at spots will wrap a driver in a color wonderland. Even a quick trip up a main city avenue is a treat for the eyes, on corners still remnants of foliage from trees, shrubs, and flowers. Our fall was long, quiet, the peak time in Asheville this year I think will remain disputed, because it's STILL all a swath of new colors shades every day, even tho it has calmed down a lot.

I've seen ONE gorgeous three-day peak hit the Parkway about 20 years ago, and I compare every fall event to it. And this one had nothing to do with peak, but rather it was a long, long moderate but engaging show. And the long-range views, as I mentioned, I could see the smoke of the Great Smokies and I got a rare sighting of the Mt. Mitchell range going the other way. So, for those who wondered which weekend to come, and us who attempted to predict, I believe all tourists to our region anytime this month saw SOMEthing worthwhile.

Did anyone come up into Asheville from the east via I40 in the last couple weeks? I ask because sometimes when you finally make it to the top and the land plateaus, there's a great big curve that eventually goes straight to Asheville, and all in front of that turning road are stacks of colorful trees, up and up above on straight-up ridges, one of the most exciting views getting here, becuz before that, there's just a hint of color on account of the blasted-out rock for the roadway. But when you go into that curve, BOOM, it just blows me away anytime I happen to be coming back home from a trip further down and east of here.

Sorry, no pics, and sorry, I talk too long. But I wanted to try to capture what I saw, I thought it was an amazing fall, and our pear trees that line our roadway STILL have not turned their bright red, we're in a shady cove, so I'm figuring this thing at least in MY yard is gonna go right past Halloween. But, you know, it depends on the weather, especially the winds, how many gnats are in the air.... GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina