Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:47 AM

385 posts, read 1,114,133 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I really love the Marshall/ Mars Hill area and was thinking maybe I could move there in a couple of years. I have a few questions about it, though...

1. How long is the commute from this area to Asheville? Would it be treacherous in the winter if I don't have 4wd?
2. What are the best hiking spots in this area?
3. Which is a better rural area for artists- Marshall or near Spruce Pine/Penland? What about the Sylva area? I also like the Abingdon VA area which seems to have a strong arts community.
4. What local community colleges are in the area?
5. Are there any negatives to this area I may not have thought about?

Last edited by corvidae; 09-18-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 AM

12,045 posts, read 6,585,626 times
There's a member here called "Loves Mountains" (the one from Chicago) who has property in Marshall and is full of good info and very helpful. Be patient and hopefully she will see this thread--or you can contact her via PM.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM

442 posts, read 1,510,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
Hi,

I really love the Marshall/ Mars Hill area and was thinking maybe I could move there in a couple of years. I have a few questions about it, though...

1. How long is the commute from this area to Asheville? Would it be treacherous in the winter if I don't have 4wd?
2. What are the best hiking spots in this area?
3. Which is a better rural area for artists- Marshall or near Spruce Pine/Penland? What about the Sylva area? I also like the Abingdon VA area which seems to have a strong arts community.
4. What local community colleges are in the area?
5. Are there any negatives to this area I may not have thought about?
1. The Mars Hill/Marshall actual towns are about 25 minutes from Asheville - but most people live out of the towns and the commute is longer, for example, our property is 15 minutes from Marshall - so it will be about 40 - 45 minutes to get to Asheville - just depends on where in the County you end up - Madison County is pretty spread out and large. And it is treacherous if it snows - mostly because there are few snowplows - better to stay home until it melts! Most people need 4-wheel drive to get to their homes - without snow!
2. There are plenty of good hiking spots in Madison County - the Appalachian Trail runs through the top of the county - near Hot Springs. Also the Laurel River Trail is a favorite! and the hike to the top of Max Patch! there is a good website LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near U.S. Metropolitan Areas that is a good resource.
3. Marshall does have a vibrant, active arts community - the Marshall High Studios is a cradle for all things ART!
4. There is an Asheville-Buncombe Technical College in Marshall and Mars Hill is home to Mars Hill College which was founded as a Baptist college but I think now is more liberal arts and non-secular (people who live there have more insight, I'm sure)
5. I'm not the best one to ask about negatives because we fell in love with the county at first sight! Yes, it is the poorest county in WNC and there are meth labs out there in the coves - but the people are among the kindest and friendliest I have ever met. We have been welcomed from the start.
Just hang out in downtown Marshall for a few hours - have lunch at Zuma and talk to the folks in the art gallery. Good luck in your searching. and feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,643 times
Hi! This ones for loves mountains....I live in a Chicago suburb and I am thinking of taking a trip to NC to possibly move to the Asheville are. I have extensive questions...I would love to talk to you or private e mail you. arteaga76@aol.com

Old 07-08-2015, 04:23 PM

14 posts, read 71,970 times
Yet another one for "loves mountains." Seeing lots of older posts so not sure if you are still participating in this forum. Hope you are because you give some great answers! Interested in what others in the area think too.
We are contemplating a move to Marshall/Spruce Pine/ Penland/Bakersville area. Both semi-retired but have our own home businesses: me designing and making hooked rugs; my husband restores/repairs clocks of all kinds and ages. We have visited this area and fell in love with it -- spent years living happily in rural places but we need to find some better weather and lower living costs. Concerned that we will fit in and make new friends. Used to and prefer small town living, friendly, love our pets and love to garden, read, antiques, music, etc., lots of interests. We'd love to find a place in a town with just regular nice people. You live in a beautiful area.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:14 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,513,354 times
Although I don't live in Marshall, I am several miles outside of Weaverville, maybe 15 minutes or so from there. It is easy to fit in around here : be friendly, non judgemental, don't talk politics or religion until you know someone. If invited to attend church smile and say thank you regardless of your desire to attend or not, do not say where I came from we did it this way. People here are very nice and you will find locals, transplants and everything in between. Gay, straight and everthing in between, super conservative, super liberal and everthing in between.So you go slow and judge your audience. I have found making friends here one of the best of places I have lived. Marshall is a neat old town with lots of history smack on the river with mountains all around just beautiful!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,036 times
Marshall is only about a 40 minute drive into Asheville, NC.
Some years the Marshall area does get a lot of snow so a 4X4 would help.

Good Luck,
Charles,
W2CSI,
W2CSI.com,

Old 02-20-2016, 02:27 PM

Default Long Overdue Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Although I don't live in Marshall, I am several miles outside of Weaverville, maybe 15 minutes or so from there. It is easy to fit in around here : be friendly, non judgemental, don't talk politics or religion until you know someone. If invited to attend church smile and say thank you regardless of your desire to attend or not, do not say where I came from we did it this way. People here are very nice and you will find locals, transplants and everything in between. Gay, straight and everthing in between, super conservative, super liberal and everthing in between.So you go slow and judge your audience. I have found making friends here one of the best of places I have lived. Marshall is a neat old town with lots of history smack on the river with mountains all around just beautiful!

You probably have forgotten that you even wrote this because it was in 2015. I just happened to check back today and saw your message and wanted to thank you for your answer. I think it is good advice for anyone and any place. Kind of survey the scene and get to know a place before making assumptions.

We are still debating what to do. We still like western NC, and especially Marshall area so maybe we will end up there after all. We are putting our place up for sale next month so have to reach a decision soon. My one wish is that we already had some contacts/friends in that area -- that would make it much easier -- but it sounds like people are friendly and open to newcomers in general. Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:08 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,513,354 times
Good luck with your house sale and pending move to WNC. A great way to meet people is to volunteer with an organization whose mission you care about, instant common interest. The outlying areas of Madison county can be isolated so consider that when you are looking at places way out. Winter can isolate even more if no 4WD and you are cooped up, this is Suburu country for a reason. The other is... will the need to drive 5, 10 or more miles to the store get old? Not trying to deter you we love it here just food for thought. I think if you are a friendly accepting
person who can roll with "it takes all kinds" you will find it easy to fit in here. There are so many interesting people from all over who live here it will amaze you as much as the beauty of WNC. As I mentioned this has been an easy place to make friends and most of the local people are super nice if you give them a chance. The cultural history here is rich and wonderful! Keep us posted we always like to hear how things work out.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:07 PM

You really have been helpful and we appreciate it.
Small towns are not new to us, that's what we have always preferred and we've even had a few Subarus over the years. We are older now and realize it probably would be easier and smarter to settle in or closer to town if possible.
I just discovered a NC author, Vicki Lane, who writes mysteries set in Asheville and the surrounding mountain communities. A way to feel like I'm almost there for now.
My husband repairs antique and vintage clocks and would like to continue doing that if we move. Do you think there would be any market for that there -- not a big store or anything, rather just something in our home? I design and make hooked rugs and know that your area has wonderful crafts and arts so I figure I'd be pretty much at home with that. Though retired we still want to make some additional money to augment.
Your ideas about volunteering are great. Makes sense. I volunteer at Habitat for Humanity here and enjoy it. Love pets -- do you know if there is a good pet organization that might need some help. I know that the arts in general in Marshall, that is part of what attracts us.
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina