Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 AM

14 posts, read 111,762 times

Advertisements

Can anybody give me any insight into what type of community Marshall is? What type of people, things of that nature. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 10:53 AM

122 posts, read 456,847 times
Well, let's see.... it greatly depends in what you are looking for in a community; but here goes anyway. I live here in Madison County of which Marshall is the seat. Marshall is rugged and beautiful. The town itself is crammed between cliffs and the river; just one street, but that street houses art galleries, restaurants, a new bulk food store and a coming bookstore. Hardware,bank, post office.. and old buildings turned condo. Huge new library though with all the moderns and Marshall just went wireless with the internet.
Mars Hill is a few miles away and that has a GREAT farmer's market in season. Also cultural activities through the college and theater(as in actors on stage)
There is a mix of people from farmers and artists, work from home designers, engineers etc.. homesteaders and old schoolers..locals and transplants.
It has a slightly different way of life to it though... back in the day it was a den of iniquity and a little of that still holds today. Yippeee. It makes it interesting. There is no forecast for Madison Co., we get weather Asheville doesn't, that's always fun.
All in all it's a great place to live, we are moving, but that has nothing to do with loving Madison Co. with it's steep mountains and creeks and rivers and wonderful people. If you live here, you feel special, bonded with the others that make it their home. Even though it is less than 30 mins. from Asheville, you feel that you are in your own world. If there are more detailed questions that you have post again.
And if you are looking for a gorgeous piece of land that is very unique, We are selling ours FSBO. IM me and I will fill you in. Grin!

Old 03-25-2007, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 111,762 times
Thank you so much for the lenghty respose. You painted the picture very well. It sounds like a very charming little town that contains all the bear essentials that you would not have to drive too far for. The mix of people is actually a scary similarity to what we are use to so it would be perfect for us. We would love a piece of land with a small home on, however, we are just graduating college in the spring so we first need to pay off some of our school debts before having a mortgage. If anyone knows of a home to rent in the area that is below 700 a month we would be interested. Thanks again for all the insight.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,295 times
zimmerdj - I have a friend that has an apartment for rent in Asheville - a small one bedroom - near the Biltmore - 600/month - wood floors - really cute - let me know if you are interested - it's a great place for young people to live -

Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM

16 posts, read 56,808 times
Hey Chickenista, I was up there last month looking for a house on some acreage and didn't find what I wanted. I'm coming up with my wife at the end of July. How about e-mailing me the info on your prop? jmackay54@verizon.net

Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM

165 posts, read 884,173 times
So chickenista,

Betty & I will be in Madison next week.
PM me regards your property if still for sale....might have an interest and certainl know people in FL who keep asking us about property in NC.

Ed

Old 07-29-2007, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 21,160 times
Madison Co. isn't a very friendly place - is it? It REALLY does depend on who you know there, who YOU are, and especially where you are from! From personal experience, Maggie Valley (further west) is a much friendlier place. And the views there are breathtaking.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,928 times
Default From Marshall, NC

Hi - I live in Marshall, and love it. If you're still interested, e-mail me at pammacncnj@aol.com and I will tell you anything you need to know.

I've lived here 19 years, 20-25 minutes from Asheville. If you love friendly, small town life this is the place. It's also beautiful. We've been accepted here from the beginning and don't try to change things, that is the key. They drive a little slowly here, but that is the only drawback I can think of!

Good luck!

Pam M.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-31-2007 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Deleted advertising content.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,345 times
Default Quesions About Relocating To Your Area

Hi! My name is Jerry and I am a retired college art prof. My wife and I are interested in relocating in your area of the US if you would accept us : )

There are many factors we must consider and I will share some with you. Please ignore if this is boring. First, we need to know about proximity of emergency health care. I have had a heart attack and am not as mobile as I would like to be.

We are on a pretty rigid budget and have our state retirement from the college and our SS. Consequently, we need an inexpensive place to live. I am thinking of a used mobile home in good shape. We began looking around Asheville and the property there is not within our budget.

A great view is vital or we have no other reasons to relocate. I don't want to get into drilling for water etc so that is a factor. If I could find a beautiful view with water and septic that would accept a mobile home I would be happy. I certainly would not want a really dumpy place.

Other things occur to me such as how much one has to pay for a handyman. I can no longer mow my yard so I would need to find a schoolboy to cut my yard. Does anyone know what a good carpenter charges per hour in your area? I would want a deck most likely. I know this will appear silly to many but I am dealing with reality (I hope!).. I know there are many other things I have overlooked but these are a few.

I hope I don't come off as a snob or an old curmudgeon! I came from very poor but proud people. I am a very good artist and I feel much younger than the docs tell me I appear to be! I love to teach drawing and painting and I love working with others. I also have a deep and abiding interest in ancient coins. Please take a look at my site if you like. The URL is as follows: Ancient Coin Store - ancient roman and greek coins, collectibles, and antiquities I hope some very practical members of the community will respond. I have never done this before but I did join the group and I have bookmarked. Thank you for reading and I look forward to learning more about your area.

Just one more thing. Why Marshall? My wife and I were driving through your town recently and locked out keys in the car. We had time to not what a wonderful place Marshall would be to live. We were at Stanley's BP and I highly recommend the business as a great place to lock one's keys in the car! The people were great as we waited an hour or two for the locksmith to finally show up.. Will one of you Stanley patrons please thanks them again for me. We would have eaten there but the noon plates were all gone! Thank you and God Bless.. Jerry.. PS: Will somone please e-mail me and tell me how to read posts and please tell me if I will be notified it I receive a post? My e-mail is as follows: coinstore@comcast.net

Old 11-04-2007, 04:10 PM

86 posts, read 359,708 times
Hi Chickenista!
I just joined this site today, and read your post about land you have for sale. Can you tell me more about it? Also, if it is no longer available, would you mind sharing some information about rentals in your area? I am particularly interested in finding a "senior" friendly place to relocate from KCMO, and am on a fixed income. Thanks in advance for any information you can offer in my quest to get out of the Midwest!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina