Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 AM

54 posts, read 122,328 times

Advertisements

Are they all within 15-20 minutes of UNCA, but does it mean they're any colder, or about the same as A'ville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRuns View Post
Are they all within 15-20 minutes of UNCA, but does it mean they're any colder, or about the same as A'ville?
They are all very rural, and yes, definitely more snow and ice. Some would say "remote". You can get some views from some areas of Fletcher, but not the norm. Fletcher is more heavily populated I believe because it is closer to the airport, but also remember, Fletcher itself takes in a very small area and has many subdivisions. There are plenty of areas within a proximity of Asheville where you can get some views ... but it also will depend on whether you want long range view (very expensive), valley views, plateau views etc. etc. If you want good access to Asheville plus views, Black Mountain would be my pick. Or areas east of Ashevillle out Rt. 74 east, beautiful and close to Asheville. Parts of Fairview and parts of Gerton.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 14,451 times
Default In the same boat with you! Wanting to move to there also!

I am in the same boat with you! We live right outside Savannah, GA and absolutely hate the weather! We want to raise our kids somewhere with 4 seasons!

My husband is active duty army and will get out next may, and then we would like to move to that area.... but really any mountain area town, small town in western Carolina area (we would be open to SC, TN, GA, Mountain areas besides NC, if it is the right fit and has what we need!)

Here is our issue, I will be graduating nursing school in December here with my RN/BSN. And the job situation for NEW GRADS is horrible here, but heard it is horrible there too. Does anyone know a small town that would probably be hiring new grad nurses?

My oldest will also be going into Middle School that summer. He plays every sport and is quite a little football star! I would love to put him in a Christian School, but haven't found any that really have competitive sports to include football (besides Christ's all boy school, which is way too much $). So if no private/Christian school, maybe just a really good public school system.
Thanks so much for any advice!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy82 View Post
I am in the same boat with you! We live right outside Savannah, GA and absolutely hate the weather! We want to raise our kids somewhere with 4 seasons!. . .

Here is our issue, I will be graduating nursing school in December here with my RN/BSN. And the job situation for NEW GRADS is horrible here, but heard it is horrible there too. Does anyone know a small town that would probably be hiring new grad nurses?
My oldest will also be going into Middle School that summer. He plays every sport and is quite a little football star! I would love to put him in a Christian School, but haven't found any that really have competitive sports to include football (besides Christ's all boy school, which is way too much $). So if no private/Christian school, maybe just a really good public school system.
Oh No! You spoke the dreaded "J" word! Jobs! Don't you know that there are NO jobs in all of WNC? Lol.

Truth is that many nay sayers will tell you to stay away, don't come, no jobs, what were you thinking?

I completely understand the need for elevation and am hell bent on getting to the mountains at some point. I have heard the hospital in Asheville was hiring new grads. Some of the smaller mtn towns like Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Brevard have tiny hospitals but I don't think the prospects look good. I have been checking Brevard for years and a per diem job for RNs pops up every once in a while.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy82 View Post
I am in the same boat with you! We live right outside Savannah, GA and absolutely hate the weather! We want to raise our kids somewhere with 4 seasons!

My husband is active duty army and will get out next may, and then we would like to move to that area.... but really any mountain area town, small town in western Carolina area (we would be open to SC, TN, GA, Mountain areas besides NC, if it is the right fit and has what we need!)

You know, I always thought the health care field was a bit better off in asheville, but my old doctor there just sent out a letter stating she is moving due to her husband not being able to find a job and her not being able to support them. It really made me go...wow even doctors can't make it in asheville. I suppose she has a lot of student loans to pay off unlike an RN, but it was a shocker. Just wanted to share that with you.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 14,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
You know, I always thought the health care field was a bit better off in asheville, but my old doctor there just sent out a letter stating she is moving due to her husband not being able to find a job and her not being able to support them. It really made me go...wow even doctors can't make it in asheville. I suppose she has a lot of student loans to pay off unlike an RN, but it was a shocker. Just wanted to share that with you.

Thank you guys for all your input, it really helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina