Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM

63 posts, read 295,300 times

Advertisements

I am from Louisiana and may be making a move to the Clarksburg area and I am trying to find out how much snow WV actually gets. Is there always snow on the ground or is it random snowfall throughout the winter? Is it so bad that you have to shovel snow every morning to leave for work?

Thanks,
hatnic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
It's mostly random in Clarksburg and surrounds. We're around 1,000 ft. elevation so it's not so bad. Expect a few deep snows, but mostly piddly amounts. The higher elevations to the east and north get more crud than we do.

I had no problems getting around this past winter.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks. What would you consider deep snows? Would this be snowed in and having to shovel my way out the house?

Thanks,
Nicole

Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 PM

Well, you're going to have a rough winter or two where the snow may be deep; over 12", but for the most part I'd say 6" would be the average 'big' storm.

So yeah- buy a shovel

Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Maybe this average snowfall per month for the last 13 years will help (I assume "Years on Record: 13" means over the last 13 years.
Qwikcast.com: Records and Averages for Clarksburg, West Virginia, United States of America=

Threerun, when we get several inches of snow (6" my guess) in Chas just about everything shuts down. Is that also true for Clarksburg?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
I can remember walking to school many times in snow above my knees, and digging my car door out just so I could get in it. To me it snows a lot in Clarksburg, but you couldn't maintain a ski resort there. We never had snow days in school like they do now. It didn't matter how deep it was, you went to school anyway. Only once in my school years did it snow enough to close the school, and people in Clarksburg still refer to that as the year of the big snow.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:30 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
Snow is insignificant anymore...I would say last year our total snowfall was about 12".
Unless we get a horrible artic blast of air...what they call a Canadian Clipper and it picks up a lot of moisture from the great lakes...we don't have much winter anymore..
What we get is a lot of mild southern air from the gulf in the 30's and 40's. If the jet stream stays along the Canadian Border we get almost no winter...and it has done that for several years now...If this is global warming...bring it on...
The mountains are a different story and snowfall there can be pretty good...but the spring times seem early and I wonder if the resorts get enough business to keep them afloat. This year seemed like a perfect one to me...

Let me add this tidbit: The News/Weather people Hype the weather here and scare the old people to death..have them running to the grocery stores to stock up on food...make a 2" snowfall sound like a disaster...has just about ruined any credibility in my mind...that's why I went back to the "weather rock...infallible...everyone should have one (about 40 lbs) in their yard...big enough to see from the kitchen window..angle the flat part towards the house...

Last edited by David Kennedy; 08-01-2008 at 03:40 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 AM

I've only been in Clarksburg for one winter, and this past one, as Mr. Kennedy pointed out, was very mild as far as snow is concerned.

In any event- I'm not concerned about it. We're sorta out of the snow belt.

I did get caught in a wicked late season snow when I was heading back to my old neighbors house in Berkeley county to butcher hogs. It was March and it laid down snow as soon as I got 1/4 the way up Coopers rock area on I-68. It dumped 6" in less than an hour and the only way I made it up to the top was to put my trucks right wheels on the rumble warning strips on the shoulder of the road.

Stopped at Little Sandy's and had a nice slow breakfast until the white-out diminished then headed on. By the time I got to Inwood, they already butchered my hog for me

Not a bad deal, I'd say.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-01-2008 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
The locals know to be aware of the Maryland Mountains on I-68...Gigantic blizzards well up if the conditions are right...makes Wisp a good place to ski...and Nemacholin too...and fog too...pea soup type like the sailors speak of...three years ago traffic hit a fog bank at Grantsville and piled up over 100 cars...took 2 days to clear out all the junk...emergency crews were understaffed and in shock...needed help in the worst way and told us to go home...we were very well qualified to help...took the Pa Turnpike to I-81 and on to DC...oh well.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:47 AM

Is there always light snow on the ground during the winter? Will we need chains on our tires to drive in snow? There's been mention of school snow days. Do the kids usually miss alot of school due to the snow? Also, one question about school, do the kids where uniforms in public school in the Bridgeport/Clarksburg area? The only reason I ask is because our public schools have mandatory school uniforms. Sorry so many questions we do not see snow at all around here. The last time it snowed here was about 4 yrs. ago and we all ran out to see it but the snow didn't stick. Very seldom does it snow here and the roads very seldom freeze.

Thanks,
hatnic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia