Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatnic View Post
Is there always light snow on the ground during the winter? Will we need chains on our tires to drive in snow? There's been mention of school snow days. Do the kids usually miss alot of school due to the snow? Also, one question about school, do the kids where uniforms in public school in the Bridgeport/Clarksburg area? The only reason I ask is because our public schools have mandatory school uniforms. Sorry so many questions we do not see snow at all around here. The last time it snowed here was about 4 yrs. ago and we all ran out to see it but the snow didn't stick. Very seldom does it snow here and the roads very seldom freeze.

Thanks,
hatnic
No.
Depends on what kind of car you drive and how well you drive.
Depends on how much snow we get. Expect maybe 5 snow days per year.
Kids don't wear uniforms in public schools but there is a dress code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatnic View Post
Is there always light snow on the ground during the winter? Will we need chains on our tires to drive in snow? There's been mention of school snow days. Do the kids usually miss alot of school due to the snow? Sorry so many questions we do not see snow at all around here. The last time it snowed here was about 4 yrs. ago and we all ran out to see it but the snow didn't stick. Very seldom does it snow here and the roads very seldom freeze. Thanks, hatnic
Is there always light snow on the ground during the winter? - No. How much - depends on Mother Nature's mood that year. Often there will be lingering snow on the ground but it has melted off the roads.

Will we need chains on our tires to drive in snow? - I've seen people put on chains in the mountains. I used to always put studded snow tires on my car -- they are pretty amazing in the snow & ice and good for driving on dry roads also (I guess they are still legal). For several years I've had a front wheel or 4 wheel drive car so have not needed them for a long time. Your car makes a big difference on how easy it is to get around on snow covered roads.

Sounds like you have never driven on snow covered roads. Don't mean to be overdramatic but you may want to take a course or something so you know what to do.

Icy roads are more tricky than snowy roads - hate it when the snow gets packed down from traffic and turns to ice.

Anyone know where to find the video of the "ice skating rink" on I-64 on the bridge over the Kanawha River. It was March 8, 2008. That was pretty cool and even made it to the weather channel and national news.
It can be found at StormScenes : Car Accident Stock Video : Numerous Icy Accidents Caught on Tape byt looks like you have to be a member to watch the video.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:28 PM

63 posts, read 295,404 times
No. I have never driven in snow before unless you consider a few snow flakes as driving through snow. None where the snow actually stuck when it hit the ground. Do they have snow plows up there to clean the snow off the highways and the roads? I guess in my mind I am seeing me waking up one morning and being snowed in my house. My brother's friend is from Michigan and they had to shovel snow on a daily basis to go to work. It doesn't sound like you all get that much snow but is a little scary to have to drive in. What do you mean I should take a course?

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
When it snows the roads are covered with cinders by the highway departments...the snow days that the kids get are mostly unwarranted by foul weather and taken as a respite for the teachers...any teacher comments on this?...I'm speaking for the lowlands and not the mountain country...the best driving course is to go to a large parking lot on a deserted day and so some donuts and get the feel of what the machine will do...skids and slides and braking practices...did that with my kids and they moved to Florida...just can't win...

Old 08-01-2008, 02:14 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Unless it's an unusually cold winter, the snow in Clarksburg will come and go on the ground. Only in the mountains (Davis, Elkins, Marlinton, etc.) will most snows stay longer than a few days before melting.

Hardly anyone uses chains anymore, and certainly not in Clarksburg. 18-wheelers might have them, and it wouldn't be a bad idea if you drive to the mountains a lot. Chains don't mix well with front wheel drive, and most cars today are FWD.

There are two types of snow days: delays and cancellations. Delays (typically 2 hours) are for minor snowfalls, to give the road crews time to get the roads cindered and/or salted before the buses run. Delayed days need not be made up. Cancellations are exactly that: there is no school that day, and the time missed must be made up. Most school districts build "Snow Make-up Days" into the yearly schedule; if they're not needed, they become vacation days.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Are there mountains near Bridgeport/ Clarksburg area?

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 08-01-2008, 04:43 PM

Clarksburg is in the foothills, the real mountains start just east of there.

So the terrain in Clarksburg is hilly, but not truly mountainous. Which probably sounds to you like I'm splitting hairs (and maybe I am .

In the hill country, there's maybe a few hundred feet elevation difference between the valley floor and the top. In the mountains, that difference could be from 1000 to 2000 feet. A road climbing a hill might reach the top in half a mile, maybe a mile at most. A road climbing a mountain will take several miles to reach the top.

Really, except in the true mountains, snow won't be much of an issue. Just take care in driving, have good tires, and don't rush.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:54 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
He's from 'Lusianna', where an anthill is a mountain.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Thank you all so much for the information on winters in Clarksburg. I feel much better about moving there now that I know more about the snow conditions. Can anyone give me any information on the area of Bridgeport/ Clarksburg? From what I have read it seems like the area is nice and seems to be much more safe than where we are at the moment. Is there a Super Walmart there or a Target? What are your taxes on food and clothing purchases? I consider ours to be very high at (9.5%) 10% in some areas.

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 08-01-2008, 06:06 PM

I think the general sales tax rate in WV is 6%, but it's only 3% on food items. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia