Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Thanks for giving me piece of mind
Just saying - you need to be careful.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Just saying - you need to be careful.
It not me its the cat he always goes into people's homes, don't know why.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
Sorry to hear that dude, cars are a real money pit. My car is also about 15 years old, but it runs very well and have never had issues with the heating or A/C. However there is always something that pops up, like a broken door seal, dead indicator (which I just got fixed) and now one of the headlights went. Last service was $900, but that was both regular service plus LPG service and tune-up (it runs on dual fuel) and repairing a few niggles here and there like the dead indicator, replacing wiper heads etc. This mechanic is honest and is really professional and does everything needed to keep the car in good shape though so the expense to me is justified.
Indeed they are. Mine is turning into one. By the time I can afford to fix my A/C, summer is going to be almost over. Glad you car is running well. What do you drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei
What kind of Mercury (Mercury are really Ford cars with slightly better features and different styling with a couple of exceptions)? My mom used to lease Mercurys for a long time, and my dad went through two (they almost always leased, doesn't make financial sense but they're scared of old cars). She just got a new Ford Fusion to lease as there's no Mercury's anymore. Really same car different icon in front.
Mystique. I would consider leasing just so I can have a pretty car for a few years, even if it made no financial sense. I do so much driving, so I may as well drive something that I enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei
My car is 17 years old, had to do a $700 repair a year ago, nothing major (except new battery, tires) since. It's rusting a lot though, so it may not have too many more years.
Mine's rusting out too. The climate and terrain are rough on cars up here. My brake line is rotting, which is my current car dilemma. Paint is chipping so aesthetics aren't very pleasing to the eye. Yes it gets me from point A to point B which is all that matters, but I really want to get something newer. Not brand new, but pre-owned would be fine.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
It not me its the cat he always goes into people's homes, don't know why.
If a cat is comfortable with other people, they'll explore the nearby area. The cat I mentioned didn't grasp the idea that he had particular "owners" only that there were humans surrounding him that gave him attention and were supposed to let him inside (that cat would allow on my screen window and meow to come inside*.

*Without screens the cat would come right inside.

One summer in college I rented from a fraternity house. The frat brothers didn't bother put screens since it was an old building with windows that would need modification and most of them weren't around during the summer. First week I was there it got hot (near 90s in late May) for the first time in the season and lots of insects all hatched at once. The moist bathroom was full of interesting creatures. One frat brother who was around for a week was an entomology major (study of insects). I told him the bathroom was full of weird bugs. And he came in looked at them carefully and said they were very interesting . Centipede and a bunch of other ones. They mostly cleared out after a week. Later in the summer, a squirrel entered my screenless bedroom and ate some food I had. Pooped on the windowsill. I was on the 3rd floor, too! Afterwards, I kept my windows closed when I wasn't around.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Mystique. I would consider leasing just so I can have a pretty car for a few years, even if it made no financial sense. I do so much driving, so I may as well drive something that I enjoy.
Actually, I think my dad had two of them. They were ok cars from what I remember, nothing special. Oddly, the same car was marketed in Europe as the Ford Mondeo. Ford's changed the Mondeo around, I read the new version of European Mondeo to be released next year will be the same as the new Ford Fusion (the one my mom got). It's a really nice looking car, my mom thought it might be the best car she's driven. Overpriced, though.

Quote:
Mine's rusting out too. The climate and terrain are rough on cars up here. My brake line is rotting, which is my current car dilemma. Paint is chipping so aesthetics aren't very pleasing to the eye. Yes it gets me from point A to point B which is all that matters, but I really want to get something newer. Not brand new, but pre-owned would be fine.
My rust isn't that visible, yet. It drives and handles well, better than most mid-size sedan (96 Nissan Maxima). Seats are comfy, too. Unlike my mom's ford, few features, but in some sense I almost that it's simple — the new Fords feel like a computer that happens to drive. Maybe not my ideal car, but I really have little complaints about it other than the gas mileage and the fact the seats don't fold (a smaller wagon/hatch would probably fit more). So, since I actually like the thing I hope I can keep it as long as I can.

The fact I don't need to drive all the time, so I can just not drive right after snowstorms, might help it from getting rusty. I had an interesting 6 hour drive from upstate NY through a snowstorm in a dark, I skidded in the middle of I-88. There was only really one lane width cleared of snow. Somehow the trucks managed to go at 60 mph when I was going 40 mph.

A/C is ok, it seems have trouble ouputting enough a while back, but weirdly it seems almost too good. Without climate control, I often get either too cold or not much at all, so often I just switch between on and off. Mild summer days I don't bother with A/C often even with road trips (summer 2009?) Not this one.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Actually, I think my dad had two of them. They were ok cars from what I remember, nothing special. Oddly, the same car was marketed in Europe as the Ford Mondeo. Ford's changed the Mondeo around, I read the new version of European Mondeo to be released next year will be the same as the new Ford Fusion (the one my mom got). It's a really nice looking car, my mom thought it might be the best car she's driven. Overpriced, though.
The new Ford Fusion is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei
My rust isn't that visible, yet. It drives and handles well, better than most mid-size sedan (96 Nissan Maxima). Seats are comfy, too. Unlike my mom's ford, few features, but in some sense I almost that it's simple — the new Fords feel like a computer that happens to drive. Maybe not my ideal car, but I really have little complaints about it other than the gas mileage and the fact the seats don't fold (a smaller wagon/hatch would probably fit more). So, since I actually like the thing I hope I can keep it as long as I can.

The fact I don't need to drive all the time, so I can just not drive right after snowstorms, might help it from getting rusty. I had an interesting 6 hour drive from upstate NY through a snowstorm in a dark, I skidded in the middle of I-88. There was only really one lane width cleared of snow. Somehow the trucks managed to go at 60 mph when I was going 40 mph.

A/C is ok, it seems have trouble ouputting enough a while back, but weirdly it seems almost too good. Without climate control, I often get either too cold or not much at all, so often I just switch between on and off. Mild summer days I don't bother with A/C often even with road trips (summer 2009?) Not this one.
I actually remember my aunt getting a new Nissan Maxima in 1996. I was obviously young at the time. Car lasted a long time. Nissans are nice cars. I would consider getting one.

I love the new Nissan Altima coupe. Since I can't afford a BMW, I would definitely consider getting this or a Honda. Going to have to settle for something cheaper if I get another car next year though. Maybe I'll splurge on what I really want the next time around. At this point, any newer car would be an improvement over my current one lol.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
can't sleep

Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
No offence but why would you have a 17 year old car?

Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
My cat is a house cat now as he used to stay out really late sometimes & even not come home for a day or so. It got too much as we were worried about him constantly & would be going round the neighbourhood shaking his biscuits & calling him at 1am lol, little bugger... Also a couple of cats got hit by cars outside our house so we couldn't risk that happening...

Old 07-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No offence but why would you have a 17 year old car?
Because it still runs mostly ok. It'd cost money to get another one that I'd rather not spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.