Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2023, 06:58 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times

Advertisements

Forget the "rain/snow" line for now....Very cold airmass incoming next weekend.

Euro also on it. Still 8-10 days away

Warm week coming up for Northeast, lets enjoy the tropical 70s!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 07:05 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
I wonder if any U.S. weather stations are "dubious".....or do they all meet WMO standards?

If there are dubious U.S. weather stations ....it would be interesting to compile a list to see
which ones are.....especially for the larger cities....(ie. Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, etc...)

Or is it only a Canada thing.....low budget ......not caring....etc...
I suspect most ECCC stations are up to spec, King North and the airport ones seem fine. Downtown Toronto is probably the exception. But the low budget does result in a lack of stations - we used to have quite a bit more of them 50-100 years ago. And the community run ones might not be as ideal since they have fewer options when it comes to site selection.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Exact opposite to Toronto....September very dry ....under 10 mm...
Elora was not so bad. Officially 52mm although I think the readings were broken for the past couple weeks and there was dew getting into the meter since it was recording a fraction of a mm every day despite no actual rain for a couple weeks. But such small amounts won't affect the totals much - the real number should still be 45-50mm. We got a couple solid rainfalls.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:18 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I suspect most ECCC stations are up to spec, King North and the airport ones seem fine. Downtown Toronto is probably the exception. But the low budget does result in a lack of stations - we used to have quite a bit more of them 50-100 years ago. And the community run ones might not be as ideal since they have fewer options when it comes to site selection.
By Downtown weather station ....do you mean Toronto Annex?
It's location is poor? ...near too much pavement?

I guess it would be difficult to obtain a "correct" location....everything is so built up...
New York City is lucky ....it has Central Park....
maybe having an official weather station located in High Park would be best....
but it is not really downtown anyway....I don't know Downtown Toronto that well....
I think there are smaller parks closer to downtown..."Allen Gardens"?

Old 09-29-2023, 09:22 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
If 4-6" falls, some spots will be near a foot of rain for the month

Unreal here on LI, NY. It's coming down hard. Last weekend was terrible also. Half of September wasted.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:07 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
I wonder if any U.S. weather stations are "dubious".....or do they all meet WMO standards?

If there are dubious U.S. weather stations ....it would be interesting to compile a list to see
which ones are.....especially for the larger cities....(ie. Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, etc...)

Or is it only a Canada thing.....low budget ......not caring....etc...
Not just a Canada thing: the US have some shockers as well. Newark Liberty is a prime example.

However, at least the NOAA put together the Climate Reference Network which has no equivalent in Canada.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Unreal here on LI, NY. It's coming down hard. Last weekend was terrible also. Half of September wasted.
Ground so saturated like a sponge can only hold so much. Add another 3-6 inches and its trouble.

All from an Inverted trough and low pressure

https://twitter.com/Bogs4NY/status/1707773331129110540

Airport under water

https://twitter.com/LiveStormChaser/...48399590600777

Quote:
National Weather Service New York NY
1207 PM EDT Fri Sep 29 2023

.SYNOPSIS...
An inverted surface trough and weak low move northward along the
coast today into tonight. The low will slowly strengthen and move
east Saturday into Sunday, with high pressure building in its wake
and remaining dominant into next week.

There are many flood headlines ongoing across the western parts
of the region with flash flooding and river flooding. The area
is for parts of Northeast NJ, parts of NYC, parts of the Lower
Hudson Valley, and into Southwest CT.

There have already been storm total rainfall reports of near 3
to 6 inches across parts of the Lower Hudson Valley and into
parts of NYC. See our latest public information statement for
more details on exact rainfall amounts for exact locations.
https://forecast.weather.gov/product...n=1&glossary=0

Old 09-29-2023, 02:12 PM

Looking at the latest Euro, WOW looks like this cold shot next weekend could be legit. Coldest air of the season.

This is the upper level pattern for Wednesday. Take note the ridge is in Eastern U.S. Thats why its gonna be in the 70s in the northeast, Jet stream pushing north to Quebec but then watch what happens as everything flows East.....

BOOM.. Ridge is now up to Greenland! This blocks the flow in the U.S and the Jet stream dives south hard with a lot of cold air in it pushing south.

Dare I say Lake effect snow? Nahhh, way too early for that! Maybe for the UP??

Either way, why can't this patten save itself for winter!!!

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/anal...23092912&fh=84

Old 09-29-2023, 02:14 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Looks like a strong cold shot coming after the first week of October especially for the Northeast

Old 09-29-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
By Downtown weather station ....do you mean Toronto Annex?
It's location is poor? ...near too much pavement?

I guess it would be difficult to obtain a "correct" location....everything is so built up...
New York City is lucky ....it has Central Park....
maybe having an official weather station located in High Park would be best....
but it is not really downtown anyway....I don't know Downtown Toronto that well....
I think there are smaller parks closer to downtown..."Allen Gardens"?
Riverdale Farm, High Park, Trinity Bellwoods, Fort York, Queen's Park, Rosedale Ravine, Allan Gardens, Corktown Common, Dufferin Grove Park etc should all provide enough distance from asphalt, but I guess weather stations are also not supposed to be under trees, but rather in the open, and might be deemed a bit unsightly in a popular urban park. Maybe if it can be turned into an educational opportunity for the public it would be more appreciated though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather