Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2021, 04:14 PM

2,842 posts, read 1,437,068 times

Advertisements

One thing I just can't help but wonder about is what exactly the South-Southeast would be like in winter once its cold epoch is over.
Maybe averages would resemble this winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 12:31 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,278,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
One thing I just can't help but wonder about is what exactly the South-Southeast would be like in winter once its cold epoch is over.

Maybe averages would resemble this winter?
Then you'd have 30°N tropical climates right on the Gulf Coast.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:21 AM

2,842 posts, read 1,437,068 times
I could see that being the case, given how warm New Orleans was this December (18 C average according to TimeAndDate).

Old 01-01-2022, 07:14 AM
pdw

2,696 posts, read 3,115,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
One thing that I notice about the Southern Hemisphere is how quickly the "wet" subtropical/tropical look and influence dies off as you go poleward of ~30° or so — you then get some sort of quasi-med or "warm oceanic" regime going through.

The differences in ecology and climate between Durban and East London illustrate this well. See also Sydney versus Coff's Harbour in Australia, or even Buenos Aires and Porto Alegre vs Floripa. I don't know what to call it, but I can definitely sense the "midlatitude" features that grow stronger in poleward direction — even in the ocean moderated Southern Hemisphere.
I’ve notice this as well. Maybe it has to do with the cold water currents and the lack of shielding the smaller landmasses provide

Old 01-01-2022, 08:29 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,547,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
No, I have only heard about it. It is possible that people have confused jackfruit with breadfruit as they are related and fairly similar looking but jackfruit is less demanding.

There is a photo of a seeded breadfruit at Santa Cruz palmetum in this thread: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index...24-breadfruit/ It's looking a lot healthier in the photo than when I saw it earlier this month.

Would Durban be less suitable than Santa Cruz de Tenerife? Winter average lows are considerably lower but highs a little higher and the much greater rainfall, humidity and summer rather than winter rainfall bias would be more favourable to most tropical plants.
They get chilling damage around 10C so probably not. Furthest north I've seen it in Florida is Pine Island with lows in the 13-14C range in the coldest month. And it still looks horrible coming out of winter.

Jackfruit is not comparable at all, it's even slightly hardier than coconut and much more chill tolerant. It survives mild winters in Houston with no problems and I could never dream of growing coconut here.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:47 AM

1,503 posts, read 922,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
They get chilling damage around 10C so probably not. Furthest north I've seen it in Florida is Pine Island with lows in the 13-14C range in the coldest month. And it still looks horrible coming out of winter.

Jackfruit is not comparable at all, it's even slightly hardier than coconut and much more chill tolerant. It survives mild winters in Houston with no problems and I could never dream of growing coconut here.
This looks to me like a breadfruit tree in Durban botanic gardens. The only reason I mention jackfruit is searches for images of breadfruit in Durban turn up lots of jackfruit, so it's likely they are being confused and reports of "breadfruit" might be jackfruit, especially as neither are familiar in South Africa.

I don't think it's easy to compare NH more continental influenced climates such as Florida with SH more ocean influenced ones like Durban. Even if average winter lows are similar, monthly mean minimums will be lower in Florida. Eg Fort Myers has a coolest month average low of 12C and a mean minimum 3.4C. Durban is 10.5C and 5.8C for 1961-90. If anyone has more recent data it would be interesting, as I think it's probably warmed considerably.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:34 PM

Durban botanic gardens also list breadfruit as one of the trees they grow, with one of them listed for the co-ordinates of that street view tree. See https://durbanbotanicgardens.org.za/trees-1-2-3/

Old 01-01-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Durban botanic gardens also list breadfruit as one of the trees they grow, with one of them listed for the co-ordinates of that street view tree. See https://durbanbotanicgardens.org.za/trees-1-2-3/
Yeah it looks like a stunted and sparse breadfruit

Compare to these in Miami
https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index...n-north-miami/

Old 01-02-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Yeah it looks like a stunted and sparse breadfruit

Compare to these in Miami
https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index...n-north-miami/
It's not surprising that breadfruit grow better in Miami as it's a tropical climate, and we're talking about subtropical climates here.

I saw some even nicer looking ones in the Daintree region of Australia where it's warmer and wetter again.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
It's not surprising that breadfruit grow better in Miami as it's a tropical climate, and we're talking about subtropical climates here.

I saw some even nicer looking ones in the Daintree region of Australia where it's warmer and wetter again.
Miami has similar mean minimums but warmer averages overall than Durban. I referenced it to illustrate the difference extra heating makes (and less chilling) despite similar absolute lows.

Daintree of course doesn't see any real cold at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather