Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2022, 01:49 PM

5,751 posts, read 3,537,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
All the way up to Queensland, which I believe is north of 30°S?

Sydney's both moderated and rain shadowed. Its lack of snow is much more complex than simply being "subtropical"
Explain it away however you like, the fact remains that the coldest temperature Sydney measured during that cold snap of yours was 7.5°C/46°F. Snow and other forms of winter weather are unknown in Sydney--just like everywhere else at sea level on the Australian mainland.

And BTW, Sydney is not rain-shadowed. Quite the opposite in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 01:52 PM

2,840 posts, read 1,430,769 times
Just my 2 cents, but I see nothing wrong with snow in some subtropical climates. Subtropical is supposed to be between continental (where snow sticks around on average) and tropical (where it doesn't snow on average), so the criteria of snow falling but being unable to accumulate (provided it snows in that subtropical climate) seems very logical to me.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Just my 2 cents, but I see nothing wrong with snow in some subtropical climates. Subtropical is supposed to be between continental (where snow sticks around on average) and tropical (where it doesn't snow on average), so the criteria of snow falling but being unable to accumulate (provided it snows in that subtropical climate) seems very logical to me.
Except there are many non-tropical locations where snow is unknown. So why should subtropical locations be condemned to suffer snow while their temperate brethren escape scot-free?

Old 01-02-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
Oh but...... but the genius Ed mountain said Florida doesn't look like that, Florida is completely evergreen while the rest of the south is a deciduous wasteland, something's wrong!!!
No, as I said before there's a demarcation line. It lies somewhere north of Florida.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:49 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,546,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Except there are many non-tropical locations where snow is unknown. So why should subtropical locations be condemned to suffer snow while their temperate brethren escape scot-free?
Why is snow any more significant than a heat wave or a hurricane? You never answered the same question before.

Not following the logic of "subtropical locations can have snow so therefore any location that never records snow despite being temperate is therefore at least subtropical"? Is that what you are implying?

Is Auckland "superior" to tropical Miami, Freeport or Tampico on the basis of not having recorded snow? Certainly not reflected in the local ecology flora whatever.

And to the Texas satellite snow pic you posted before, maybe you should go find one for Guangzhou and Fujian too?

Old 01-02-2022, 03:00 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,738,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Why is snow any more significant than a heat wave or a hurricane? You never answered the same question before.

Not following the logic of "subtropical locations can have snow so therefore any location that never records snow despite being temperate is therefore at least subtropical"? Is that what you are implying?

Is Auckland "superior" to tropical Miami, Freeport or Tampico on the basis of not having recorded snow? Certainly not reflected in the local ecology flora whatever.

And to the Texas satellite snow pic you posted before, maybe you should go find one for Guangzhou and Fujian too?
Superior is subjective, so not really relevant.

Auckland's flora is very representative of not being a temperate climate with a dormant period.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:02 PM

207 posts, read 158,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Superior is subjective, so not really relevant.

Auckland's flora is very representative of not being a temperate climate with a dormant period.
Also, any recorded snowfall in a climate data's history does not take away the overall climate in itself, even in North Florida, there's native palms everywhere as well as plenty of broadleaf evergreens galore too.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,738,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonside421 View Post
Also, any recorded snowfall in a climate data's history does not take away the overall climate in itself, even in North Florida, there's native palms everywhere as well as plenty of broadleaf evergreens galore too.
Yep - I only really consider the ability of a climate to enable growth during the coldest months, and while cold snaps may limit the species that can grow, the ability to sustain growth is more important in defining an ecosystem imo.

That's what I mean about vegetation reflecting the climate - the individual mixture of plants can often be unique to an area, and can reveal that it can be an otherwise warm climate prone to occasional negative anomalies etc, or a climate without negative anomalies but steady cold season growth, etc.

The devil is often in the detail - not one or two indicator species, but the whole package.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:19 PM

2,840 posts, read 1,430,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I never said all non-tropical locations see snow on a regular basis. There are certainly some which don't, such as Wilmington or Tallahassee.

But, again, it makes sense that some subtropical locations see snow even if not all subtropical climates or climates within the C temperate scheme do. I stand by what I said about snowfall being possible but not being able to stick around as a good 'middle of the road' between tropical and continental, and have seen nothing to suggest it isn't a good middle of the road.

What Asdgi said is also logical imo.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:24 PM

207 posts, read 158,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I never said all non-tropical locations see snow on a regular basis. There are certainly some which don't, such as Wilmington or Tallahassee.

But, again, it makes sense that some subtropical locations see snow even if not all subtropical climates or climates within the C temperate scheme do. I stand by what I said about snowfall being possible but not being able to stick around as a good 'middle of the road' between tropical and continental, and have seen nothing to suggest it isn't a good middle of the road.

What Asdgi said is also logical imo.
It's also a good point that most of Ohio doesn't have regular snowfall even, but that doesn't change the overall structure of its climate, now does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather