Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2021, 01:45 PM

5,730 posts, read 3,510,184 times

Advertisements

There are rumours on the internet about one or two banyan trees in Brownsville and even a couple on Galveston Island but I have not been able to find photographic evidence. I wonder if they survived this past winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 02:13 PM

256 posts, read 155,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
No one "wants" anything. It's all about actually having a true understanding of vegetative ecology.
But that's vegetative ecology you're talking about, not climate. Climate's only one factor - soil pH and drainage capability have enormous effects as well.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:05 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
There are rumours on the internet about one or two banyan trees in Brownsville and even a couple on Galveston Island but I have not been able to find photographic evidence. I wonder if they survived this past winter.
If you wanted pics all you had to do was ask, but ok I'll help keep this comical thread alive. One or two?? Hahaha they are common street trees despite being quite cold tender. On the other hand, they never really "die" but freeze back to varying degrees. All the way to the ground in a century freeze like 1989 but they pop right back up and reach a decent size again after around 10 mildish winters

These pics are mine

Ficus elastica in Port Isabel

Ficus microcarpa in Brownsville

Old 11-04-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
Nope, I've been quite consistent in what I'm talking about. How much nitpicking are you going to do to deflect from the fact of the South's cold winter extremes, and the huge effects that it has on vegetative presentation?
Hnm I haven't denied the cold in the US. I just find your claims of evergreen subtropical Shanghainese paradise funny. You can spam "laurophyll" as many times as you want but Savannah still looks more like a subtropical paradise than Shanghai

Old 11-04-2021, 08:52 PM

5,730 posts, read 3,510,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
If you wanted pics all you had to do was ask, but ok I'll help keep this comical thread alive. One or two?? Hahaha they are common street trees despite being quite cold tender. On the other hand, they never really "die" but freeze back to varying degrees. All the way to the ground in a century freeze like 1989 but they pop right back up and reach a decent size again after around 10 mildish winters

These pics are mine

Ficus elastica in Port Isabel

Ficus microcarpa in Brownsville
Nice pics, thanks. I should have specified though that it was none other than the one and only Ficus benghalensis in particular that was said to have one or two specimens in Brownsville. Got any of that?

Old 11-04-2021, 09:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It's what is referred to as "extreme continentality," meaning China is prone to seeing stronger intrusions of colder air from Siberia and Mongolia at lower latitudes that aren't modified as quickly when they move over large snow covered areas.
That contradicts what the other poster was saying about how the SE US gets cold air intrusions, which China does not. China gets plenty of cold air intrusions, in fact a decade or so ago they got hit very hard.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
The US southeast is prone to even stronger intrusions of cold air than southeast China as evidenced by record minimums that are colder both in absolute terms and with respect to deviation from the mean.
1953 to present record lows
Wuhan China, latitude 30, record low -0.6F
Columbia SC, latitude 34F, record low -1F

1953 to present record lows.

New Orleans is at latitude 30, same as Wuhan, and has record low of 11F, which is same as Shanghai record low. Also, the averages are much colder. Wuhan avg Jan temp of 39F, vs 46F in Columbia SC.

Seems to me China gets cold air just as far south as the US, maybe even further South. Everyone forgets that southern China is quite lower in latitude than Southern US. Beijing record low is colder than Philadelphia, and averages are much colder in winter. Beijing and Philadelphia same latitude.

Since 1951 (can't find China extremes beyond 1951) Beijing record low of -17F, vs Philadelphia record low of -7F. That part of China gets much colder than Philadelphia. Philly has never gone down that low since the 1800's when records were first kept.

Wuhan looks quite green in winter, and with those averages and that record low, it has way more to do with the fact that China never got glaciated in the last ice age, and has a direct land bridge to tropical rainforests in Malaysia. New Orleans has tons of deciduous trees along the MS outside of the city, yet it is far warmer than Wuhan in averages and record lows. How can one explain that?

Only a matter of time before broadleaf evergreens advance further north in US like others have mentioned. There is definitely naturalization of broadleaf evergreens moving northward.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Nice pics, thanks. I should have specified though that it was none other than the one and only Ficus benghalensis in particular that was said to have one or two specimens in Brownsville. Got any of that?
Plenty of that that too (is there some kind of forum touting the 1 or 2 "mystical" Banyan Ficus in Brownsville?...what a bunch of nonsense LOL). Most of the banyan type Ficus are fairly similar in (lack of) cold hardiness.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Plenty of that that too (is there some kind of forum touting the 1 or 2 "mystical" Banyan Ficus in Brownsville?...what a bunch of nonsense LOL). Most of the banyan type Ficus are fairly similar in (lack of) cold hardiness.
Those trees are all over Broward County in Florida.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
The US southeast is prone to even stronger intrusions of cold air than southeast China as evidenced by record minimums that are colder both in absolute terms and with respect to deviation from the mean.
Again, not sure about that. Hit or miss I think. Some years China gets it bad, others US. According to Judah Cohen, a meteo who has extensively studied the NH polar vortex, Asia gets hit more with a vortex outbreak than NA. One never knows where it will end up.

Also, China is lower in latitude. Shanghai is right on the coast and heavily heavily urbanized. Go inland from Shanghai and record lows plummet, and so do averages.

As far as greenery, who wants to explain to me how Beijing can have more green than Philly in winter, which it does, with those way colder records and averages.

IE, the lack of greenery in winter in the SE, doesn't have to do with cold waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather