Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 04:43 AM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This board uses meteorological seasons:

Spring=Mar-Apr-May (Sep-Oct-Nov Southern Hem)
Summer=Jun-Jul-Aug (Dec-Jan-Feb Southern Hem)
Fall=Sep-Oct-Nov (Mar-Apr-May Southern Hem)
Winter=Dec-Jan-Feb (Jun-Jul-Aug Southern Hem)
I don't. But no fall at all in my part of FL. Just goes from insane hot to hot year round. Maybe 4 days are colder and nothing like the 1980's when we had real winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 05:11 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
66°F at 4am, headed to 82°F this afternoon (Riverside, CA)

Today's averages are 94°F/64°F

Old 09-01-2021, 10:17 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
High temperature of around 75F, low of 52F tonight. I'm guessing for the city it will be 82F and 61F lol.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:59 AM

6,814 posts, read 4,257,270 times
Quote:
This board uses meteorological seasons:

Spring=Mar-Apr-May (Sep-Oct-Nov Southern Hem)
Summer=Jun-Jul-Aug (Dec-Jan-Feb Southern Hem)
Fall=Sep-Oct-Nov (Mar-Apr-May Southern Hem)
Winter=Dec-Jan-Feb (Jun-Jul-Aug Southern Hem)

I actually think the term 'meteorological season' makes no sense when it's applied to that. There's nothing more 'meteorological' about saying fall starts on Sep 1st than saying it starts on Sep 22nd.

The reason for the scientific use of those 3 month blocs is primarily one of methodological convenience. It's simply more suitable for statistical calculation.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I actually think the term 'meteorological season' makes no sense when it's applied to that. There's nothing more 'meteorological' about saying fall starts on Sep 1st than saying it starts on Sep 22nd.

The reason for the scientific use of those 3 month blocs is primarily one of methodological convenience. It's simply more suitable for statistical calculation.
It also happens to coincide with the warmest and coolest 90 day periods (for summer and winter) in most of the world

Old 09-01-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Also, if you use the astronomical seasons, Spring happens to be much warmer than fall in most of the world, compared to the meteorological seasons

Old 09-01-2021, 12:41 PM

29,546 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Will certainly feel like fall for a good chunk of the eastern 2/3rds next week as summer rolls on out west according to the Euro

Now check what the 12z run of the GFS is showing

Old 09-01-2021, 03:25 PM

6,814 posts, read 4,257,270 times
Quote:
It also happens to coincide with the warmest and coolest 90 day periods (for summer and winter) in most of the world

It will differ strongly from location to location. In the D.C. area for instance the first 10 days of September are on average warmer than the first week of June. This is not uncommon for climates near coastlines at all due to the seasonal lag caused by the sea. It's similar for instance in coastal UK/Ireland or the U.S. West Coast. In fact in quite a few locations on the West Coast summer only peaks in September and September is notably warmer than June.

I recall reading a definition of meteorological seasons in a textbook describing them as being highly variable based on location while the simple 3 month bloc division was instead called "calendar seasons".

I can see why 'calendar season' isn't popular though as it could confuse people. A lot of folks would think this means the seasonal start and end dates as marked in calendars (which typically refer to the astronomical seasons).

Old 09-01-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
It will differ strongly from location to location. In the D.C. area for instance the first 10 days of September are on average warmer than the first week of June. This is not uncommon for climates near coastlines at all due to the seasonal lag caused by the sea. It's similar for instance in coastal UK/Ireland or the U.S. West Coast. In fact in quite a few locations on the West Coast summer only peaks in September and September is notably warmer than June.

I recall reading a definition of meteorological seasons in a textbook describing them as being highly variable based on location while the simple 3 month bloc division was instead called "calendar seasons".

I can see why 'calendar season' isn't popular though as it could confuse people. A lot of folks would think this means the seasonal start and end dates as marked in calendars (which typically refer to the astronomical seasons).
Conversely, in the Arctic, winter is already starting (de facto), even though today is just September 1st

Old 09-01-2021, 05:03 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Sept 23rd is fall and that is all there is 2 it. But we never see any 50's anymore it seems until Nov. Nothing like the real falls we had in the 1980's when Sept 17 and 18th saw a 58f and a 62f at my house in Tampa in 1980 if i remember right. That was just a freaky thing as i won't ever seem them temps again in Sept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather