Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 04:39 AM

83,702 posts, read 76,119,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Winter weather advisories in effect tonight for local areas in the northern Rockies/interior northwest............along with freeze watches in parts of Washington and Oregon
I don't always look at the 500mb map if its boring weather like a front hovering over us for 5 days....but you reminded me to do it this morning. Glad I did.

Take a look. Huge Upper Low over the PacNW! I see specs of snow so its snowing in the mountains somewhere. That ULL has a -14°F airmass.

Look at the 10,000' temps. WOW. This is keeping the surface in check. and why snow levels are down to 5000'

From NWS Spokane

Quote:
National Weather Service Spokane WA
219 AM PDT Thu Jun 20 2019

.SYNOPSIS...
Even though summer officially starts on Friday, the Inland
Northwest will be under a spring-like weather pattern for the
next week. Temperatures will be near or below average for this
time of the year. We will see scattered showers or thunderstorms
at times...mainly over the higher terrain.

Satellite shows more cloud enhancement across the
Columbia Basin into southeast Washington which meshes well as the
upper low drops south across the area with a leading shortwave
reaching southeast Washington this morning with a band of mid
level instability and an increase in shower activity. With 500mb
temperatures dipping to -26C, snow levels will be
near 5000 ft this afternoon with a rain snow mix in the showers
at the higher elevations. As the showers decrease and clouds thin
from the north overnight, could see temperatures get a bit chilly
across the northern valleys, dipping into the upper 30s to lower
40s.

Last edited by Cambium; 06-20-2019 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 06:15 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,305,004 times
Lots of flash flooding here yesterday afternoon and evening. Once again, places I've never seen flood before but also the traditional flood prone areas. We received 1-2 inches of rain in less than an hour from a storm yesterday afternoon. After more rain today we should dry out tonight with sunshine tomorrow! Then back to more rain for a few days.

6/19/2019 in Indianapolis:
Overcast with occasional storms.
High: 83F.
Low: 68F.
Average: 76F.
3F above normal.

Precipitation: 0.7 inches

Today: Showers and thunderstorms. High 73F.
Tonight: Clearing skies. Low 56F.
Tomorrow: Sunny. High 79F.

Today's Normal High: 83F.
Today's Normal Low: 64F.
Record High: 100F set in 1953.
Record Low: 44F set in 1980.

Sunrise: 6:16 AM
Sunset: 9:15 PM

Last edited by ischyros; 06-20-2019 at 06:23 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,979,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I don't always look at the 500mb map if its boring weather like a front hovering over us for 5 days....but you reminded me to do it this morning. Glad I did.

Take a look. Huge Upper Low over the PacNW! I see specs of snow so its snowing in the mountains somewhere. That ULL has a -14°F airmass.

Look at the 10,000' temps. WOW. This is keeping the surface in check. and why snow levels are down to 5000'

From NWS Spokane
Looks like a zonal flow for most of the US except the Pacific NW.

Sunny and hot today in Austin. 99 degrees expected.

NYC still mild and rainy with 77 degrees today, 78 tomorrow and rain. Finally sun by Saturday. Chicago is going to be in the low 60's again today with rain. Can they ever catch a break? Montreal is now getting the rain that Cambium got as the front lifts northwards under a zonal flow. Montreal rainy in the mid-60's today.

Out West, Sacramento high of 86 low of 57 with a Delta breeze, they must be liking that after the 105 degree temps they had before. SF under a strong foggy marine layer and high of only 63 expected. LA expecting June Gloom and 72 degrees. Seattle cool and cloudy in the 60's. Alll these areas seeing seasonal features.

Desert Southwest has seasonal heat, Vegas and Phoenix at 104, dewpoints running low at 39F so the monsoon season is still a ways off. As July approaches we need to examine the dewpoint there. Before any monsoonal rains can come, the dewpoint has to rise into the 60's. So it's got a long way to go. Until then expect nice dry heat there.

The Gulf South is under a ridge, Miami is sunny and very humid at 89 with a very high dewpoint of 77. No thunderstorms for the next 5 days so the ridge is suppressing thunderstorm activity during their "rainy season". New Orleans, Houston, and Dallas under the ridge. New Orleans sunny hot and humid at 92 (78F dewpoint yucky, this is why I left NOLA!), Houston sunny and blazing hot at 97, Dallas blazing hot at 98 (dewpoint 66F more comfortable). Some of you will say that 66F is humid but I can tell you there is a big difference between a 66F dewpoint and a 78F one. So Texas gets hotter but dryer and further East the dewpoints soar but prevent extremely hot temps. Those slightly lower dewpoints are why I live in Texas and not Louisiana anymore...

Last edited by cBach; 06-20-2019 at 06:51 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,747,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Figures, as I'm driving from Las Vegas to Butte, MT today. Forecast high in Vegas=103°F, forecast high in Butte, 55°F with rain/snow mix after dark😭.

Will turn much colder between Salt Lake and Pocatello for me today, about a 20°F drop in temp between the two

Old 06-20-2019, 11:09 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,988,322 times
For the first time on record, OKC made it to June 19 without hitting 89F/31.5C. However, it looks like they will surpass that temperature today, with a forecast high of 92F/33C.

Also that's a pretty long drive, Firebird.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
For the first time on record, OKC made it to June 19 without hitting 89F/31.5C. However, it looks like they will surpass that temperature today, with a forecast high of 92F/33C.

Also that's a pretty long drive, Firebird.
12 hrs, it could be worse

Old 06-20-2019, 11:43 AM

2,509 posts, read 1,865,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

The Gulf South is under a ridge, Miami is sunny and very humid at 89 with a very high dewpoint of 77. No thunderstorms for the next 5 days so the ridge is suppressing thunderstorm activity during their "rainy season". New Orleans, Houston, and Dallas under the ridge. New Orleans sunny hot and humid at 92 (78F dewpoint yucky, this is why I left NOLA!), Houston sunny and blazing hot at 97, Dallas blazing hot at 98 (dewpoint 66F more comfortable). Some of you will say that 66F is humid but I can tell you there is a big difference between a 66F dewpoint and a 78F one. So Texas gets hotter but dryer and further East the dewpoints soar but prevent extremely hot temps. Those slightly lower dewpoints are why I live in Texas and not Louisiana anymore...
Storms are firing up in north Florida, though. It seems that some of the moisture there is fighting off the high atmospheric pressure.

Austin currently has a 75 F dewpoint according to NWS. Those southeast winds are bringing that gulf humidity to inland Texas.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Storms are firing up in north Florida, though. It seems that some of the moisture there is fighting off the high atmospheric pressure.

Austin currently has a 75 F dewpoint according to NWS. Those southeast winds are bringing that gulf humidity to inland Texas.
I saw at one point yesterday that Dallas had a 96°F temp/74°F dewpoint combination for a 104°F Heat Index

Old 06-20-2019, 11:48 AM

2,509 posts, read 1,865,674 times
Surprise!

Looks like a severe weather threat for the south Atlantic this evening.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,988,322 times
The dewpoint got up to 75°F (24°C) as I was eating lunch outside today. I'm pretty sure that's the worst humidity I've experienced this year. It did make it up to 89°F (31.5°C). Let's see if we can make it to 90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
12 hrs, it could be worse
Somehow it seems like it would take longer, but I guess the speed limits are higher out west and there's probably not much traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather