Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 AM

83,686 posts, read 76,040,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The first winter weather advisories are issued by the NWS anywhere in the Lower 48 for the upcoming snow season. Early June was the last time a winter weather advisory was issued in the Lower 48 as a late-season weather system brought snow to the West.
https://weather-com.cdn.ampproject.o...ontana-wyoming
Need it to plunge down to the Equator ASAP!

"Southward plunges of the jet stream moving over the region this time of year can allow just enough cold air and moisture to intermingle and produce accumulating snow. That's the type of weather pattern we are seeing early this week.

Even where temperatures won't be cold enough for snow, Monday is expected to be a raw day, with some possible record cold daily high temperatures for August 27 possible. Highs in parts of Montana's Rocky Mountain Front Range Monday may struggle to rise out of the 40s

This plunge of the jet stream is also helping to scour out wildfire smoke that has been plaguing the Northwest recently."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,946,025 times
Leaving for Alaska this weekend, Denali National Park is supposed to get a light dusting of 5-8" of snow right before I arrive

Old 08-27-2018, 08:56 AM

795 posts, read 745,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Its gonna be an awesome winter! I love this patented model.

https://twitter.com/Climatologist49/...92791104065536
"Way Above Normal" "Insanely Above Normal" "Epically Above Normal"

So scientific...

Also, the map lacks data for Mexico.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:52 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,486,016 times
The one hope I have for next winter is that it lasts into late April again.

No better feeling than going outside on April 15th with snowpiles still lingering and highs still like 44F.

Oh and some big Arctic blasts too. Though most recent winters haven't disappointed in that respect.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:56 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,251,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
The one hope I have for next winter is that it lasts into late April again.

No better feeling than going outside on April 15th with snowpiles still lingering and highs still like 44F.

Oh and some big Arctic blasts too. Though most recent winters haven't disappointed in that respect.
Last winter was a freak event when it comes to cold weather and snow in April; I would not be surprised if the winter of 2018-2019 ended early and next spring and summer turns out to be a 2012 repeat.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:35 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,770,560 times
https://twitter.com/Met_khinz/status...36479231033344

Old 08-27-2018, 12:41 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,251,961 times
^^^^^^^^

Doesn’t look too severe in terms of cold especially given the fact that some of the farmers almanac predictions are calling for a very cold and long winter across much of the lower 48 States.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:11 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,681,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Nice to see some of the mets mentioning the solar minimum. I like the look of that map.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:20 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,432,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Its gonna be an awesome winter! I love this patented model.

https://twitter.com/Climatologist49/...92791104065536
LOL! I did NOT "get" it. I took the forecast graphic literally and my heart sank. The (sarcastic) snowfall range on the chart goes from a high of "insane" to a low of "above average".

In heavily congested areas (such as where I live in Metro DC), "snowfall" = "add two hours onto a 10 mile commute". Sucks away your life. Just awful. Therefore, every winter, I PRAY for zero snow in the DC Metro area.

IF it's going to snow, I'd prefer two large snow accumulations so severe that the government shuts down and non-essential personnel are advised to stay off the roads.

I understand the medical emergency impact. However, I have witnessed snowplows dispatched to lead the way for emergency vehicles going to hospital. Lady in my building, labor started a week early. Man in my building with heart attack. Ambulance followed snow plows to local (nationally ranked hospital, 5 mi or 7 mi away depending on route and traffic). Unbelievable that this level of "follow the plow to the hospital" service is available in a metro area of several million people.

So, I'd really rather take a week's worth of snow days and work from home. Where you work is not relevant to delivery. Let's assume you send off the document on time, and the customer deems it to be acceptable. Acceptance triggers payment within 30 days, regardless of where it was developed. Therefore I yearn for nice, quiet snow days.

It will be interesting to see which model or almanac proves the most accurate after the fact.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:46 PM

4,951 posts, read 3,116,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDavid View Post
Wxbell released its preliminary winter outlook, you can probably guess what the forecast is
https://www.weatherbell.com/winter-2...august-outlook

I'd say bring it. I'm a summer guy but as a weather fan winter is the most exciting season.

Seems fairly accurate considering upper level steering has persisted from the NW since prior to last Winter.
This would translate into a repeat of last winter here in the Midwest US.
A somewhat mild start, followed by brutal cold and Canadian clipper systems.
We haven't really experienced a mild Winter since 2012, when solar conditions were aiding; then record heat same year for Spring/Summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather