Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM

83,621 posts, read 75,673,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I never can remember, which one of these has the better track record?
Not sure about the other but the old farmers almanac one claims 80% correct on average. Last yr was 83%. But read last sentence in 1st paragraph. 1 month can change a whole seasons average.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM

29,594 posts, read 19,714,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
How in the devil could it be above normal just north and east of FL and then super cold down south of Miami? That just can't happen.
That's a wind anomaly forecast, not temperature

Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 PM

83,621 posts, read 75,673,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
East coast blizzards!
MECS baby!
Better yet... HECS!

Old 09-24-2018, 09:07 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,236,208 times
^^^^^^

Don’t worry Cambium, the winter of 2018-2019 will in all probability be a memorable winter season for many people in your neck of the woods. I expect that your region of the United States could well be pounded by frequent nor’easters this season, I am almost sure that by the end of January you will be saying “Enough Already!!!”

Old 09-25-2018, 04:10 AM

30,538 posts, read 21,433,495 times
Quote:
I was gonna say. My eyes are so bad i can't even read these maps. We don't even have wind anymore in FL during the winter like we did in the 80's.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,571,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I was gonna say. My eyes are so bad i can't even read these maps. We don't even have wind anymore in FL during the winter like we did in the 80's.
But you have the reverse west windflow, ayyyyy?

Old 09-26-2018, 04:12 AM

30,538 posts, read 21,433,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
But you have the reverse west windflow, ayyyyy?
Windflow don't mean high winds tim. Just means a displaced summer time ridge over the last 35 years from our normal summer time ridge we had when the axis was north of Tampa in the 50's thru the 70's. Living on the gulf like i do means i miss out on the rain vs anyone 2 miles or more inland from me. Most days in the summer the wind is dead calm.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:19 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,426,250 times
I think this winter will have a strong western atlantic ridge with the cold shoved west of the app mountains... not in agreeance with bastardi at all. Those warm ssts off the coast really favor ridging so those -5 temp anomalies he is forecasting for parts of the southeast don't really jibe well imo with what we have been seeing so far. It would take a large pattern reversal and complete cooling of those ssts or I think we will keep seeing big warmups in the winter. I do believe the cold will be pouring down into the Midwest and moving eastwards just not on the departures this man is forecasting... it takes guts to forecast a record warm winter in the nw and record cold on in the southeast.... a man of extremes he is. Maybe this winter will see those wet warmups with cold fronts on their heels type stuff.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:18 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,018,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I think this winter will have a strong western atlantic ridge with the cold shoved west of the app mountains... not in agreeance with bastardi at all. Those warm ssts off the coast really favor ridging so those -5 temp anomalies he is forecasting for parts of the southeast don't really jibe well imo with what we have been seeing so far. It would take a large pattern reversal and complete cooling of those ssts or I think we will keep seeing big warmups in the winter. I do believe the cold will be pouring down into the Midwest and moving eastwards just not on the departures this man is forecasting... it takes guts to forecast a record warm winter in the nw and record cold on in the southeast.... a man of extremes he is. Maybe this winter will see those wet warmups with cold fronts on their heels type stuff.
If the ridging in the north Pacific and the western parts of the country is strong enough that can easily overwhelm warm East Coast seawater; hypothetically speaking, it just depends on which effect is stronger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
but its Warm & Wet for you with the Old Farmers Almanac prediction. lol.

There's "The Old Farmers Almanac" and theres "The Farmers Almanac".
Here is both their 2018-19 Winter Predictions

https://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/weath...inter-forecast
Interesting that they have polar opposite predictions this year.
Quote:
He cheers for cold, but this time the Euro, and JMA support him. CFSv2 might be coming around as its latest runs call for a cold east and south (unlike the widespread blowtorch it was spitting out a couple weeks ago).

Those analogs look like they were Modoki years too.

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/s...01585351839744
Meh. Bastardi has about as much chance as anyone else at being correct, and quite a few of his blockbuster winter predictions this decade have proven accurate. Some of course have not been so accurate, so we'll see.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:30 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,426,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
If the ridging in the north Pacific and the western parts of the country is strong enough that can easily overwhelm warm East Coast seawater; hypothetically speaking, it just depends on which effect is stronger.

Interesting that they have polar opposite predictions this year.

Meh. Bastardi has about as much chance as anyone else at being correct, and quite a few of his blockbuster winter predictions this decade have proven accurate. Some of course have not been so accurate, so we'll see.
Yeah but even then... I don’t see wall to wall cold that ridge is goin to flex it’s muscle. Especially early on in December. That’s why I don’t necessarily believe such deep anomalies because that requires 0 warmups... that’s unlikely given conditions. I can certainly believe the cold tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather