Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the climate of London more similar to Sydney or New York City's
London's climate is more similar to Sydney's climate 23 52.27%
London's climate is more similar to New York City's climate 21 47.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:03 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times

Advertisements

Queen Palms grow like weeds in Sydney. In fact they are weeds: they're trying to get rid of them. Any candidate Sydney vegetation equivalent on the US east coast would therefore have to be pretty far south. Any place where all they can do is barely cling to life on the fringes of botanical society would not qualify.

The fate of Sydney's Queen Palms (Syagrus romanzoffiana) in pictures - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 05:10 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Queen Palms grow like weeds in Sydney. In fact they are weeds: they're trying to get rid of them. Any candidate Sydney vegetation equivalent on the US east coast would therefore have to be pretty far south. Any place where all they can do is barely cling to life on the fringes of botanical society would not qualify.

The fate of Sydney's Queen Palms (Syagrus romanzoffiana) in pictures - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk
Queen Palms are the nº1 most hated palm in Palmtalk

Here we also got rid of them, it's an invasion of Syagrus anywhere you look, i'm tired of them, luckily they're planting more and more Archontophoenixes, Howeas and Bismarckias but in this climate we can also have Roystoneas without any problem (I remember when I posted my first Roystonea photos in palmtalk in 2009, now in 2017, 8 years after, they're still there and obviously bigger than 8 years ago and I've never noticed them any kind of damage). Malaga is known as the Roystonea paradise in Europe. You can see specimens as big such as in Florida. Idk why they don't start doing that here too.

flaming look at this pls, probably you didn't notice it as I've edited it after I wrote it:

Quote:
what do you think about palms or any kind of citrus in Milan? I find it impossible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan#Climate, December and January are even colder than in Rotterdam. And the sunshine hours are terrible. After a lot of Google search I didn't find anything related to palms in Milano which weren't Trachycarpus, and citrus even less. I think Thessaloniki can be a limit climate.
btw, I don't know why someone would hate a palm tree, they're the sexiest flora you can plant, you have them in all kinds of sizes and all kinds of foliages, I just can't understand why someone dislikes this!

Paradise is represented in 90% of times as a golden sanded island full of coconut palm trees surrounded by crystal clear waters, in lots of restaurants, bars, etc you can see pictures of palm trees in the walls.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:20 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Are you joking? I guess if not discussing them for 13 seconds counts as "quite a while" then that makes sense......

Literally every thread gets derailed by these discussions, even threads like this one which have absolutely nothing to do with palm trees.....actually the last few pages only proves my point further.
I have not seen palms being discussed for ages & I don't ever start discussing them, I will only contribute if someone else has brought them up... Lots of threads go off onto completely different subjects all the time anyway.

You are turning into a grumpy old man already Alex, god knows what you are gonna be like when you are older

Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I have not seen palms being discussed for ages & I don't ever start discussing them, I will only contribute if someone else has brought them up... Lots of threads go off onto completely different subjects all the time anyway.

You are turning into a grumpy old man already Alex, god knows what you are gonna be like when you are older
Lol you must not be very observant then on the forum? It literally gets discussed every day on numerous threads....

If I'm grumpy than many others on here are too. I'm not the only one who finds this annoying.

Anyways, I'm not really getting on YOU in particular about discussing palms. Matter of fact, I even signaled you out one time when I mentioned that I WASN'T talking about you, so I'm not sure why you're taking it so personal.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Lol you must not be very observant then on the forum? It literally gets discussed every day on numerous threads....

If I'm grumpy than many others on here are too. I'm not the only one who finds this annoying.
Perhaps you purposefully seek them out so you can moan about it

You are the most palm obsessed on here, just that you hate them lol

Oh & I'm not taking it personally, I just find it amusing that you get so wound up about the P A L M word being mentioned, I have no interest about many other things that get discussed on here repeatedly but I just ignore it...

Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
I rarely mention palms, occasionally I post photos that have them in, or respond to other comments about them in the UK.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I actually don't, but it never fails on every thread for it to be brought up.

Perhaps because I've lived in Miami my whole life, I really don't see the obsession over them. Anyways, I'm sure a lot of people on this forum will agree with me that palm tree discussions are way OTT. There was even a palm tree discussion thread a few months ago, whatever happened to that?

Anyways, there's a big distinction between calling out something that's annoying (and numerous times, because it doesn't stop) than being "obsessed" with something. You guys are the ones having a circle jerk on every thread over palm trees, I'm just echoing what everyone else says on this forum that it's annoying AF.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Oh & I'm not taking it personally, I just find it amusing that you get so wound up about the P A L M word being mentioned, I have no interest about many other things that get discussed on here repeatedly but I just ignore it...
Oh please. If extreme cold and snow was discussed on this forum as prolifically as palms are, you would find it annoying too. Stop acting like it's a one way street. You even get wound up when CG discusses Chicago's climate or when he says that he doesn't find London's climate appealing. You get wound up over dumb things plenty of times.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Oh please. If extreme cold and snow was discussed on this forum as prolifically as palms are, you would find it annoying too. Stop acting like it's a one way street. You even get wound up when CG discusses Chicago's climate or when he says that he doesn't find London's climate appealing. You get wound up over dumb things plenty of times.
Cold & snow is discussed literally every single day & I couldn't care less lol

When was the last time I mentioned Chicago or anything related to George??

Yes I may get wound up sometimes, but you foam at the mouth about palms constantly lol

And if replying to a post someone else makes is having a circle jerk then erm yeah...

We get it you hate palms, you detest them & you don't want anyone to ever mention them again on here, but that's not going to happen is it, so why not just ignore any palm related posts or report them to a moderator & get them deleted if it is off topic then. It may save you getting grey hairs for a few years

Old 03-24-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Cold & snow is discussed literally every single day & I couldn't care less lol

When was the last time I mentioned Chicago or anything related to George??

Yes I may get wound up sometimes, but you foam at the mouth about palms constantly lol

And if replying to a post someone else makes is having a circle jerk then erm yeah...

We get it you hate palms, you detest them & you don't want anyone to ever mention them again on here, but that's not going to happen is it, so why not just ignore any palm related posts or report them to a moderator & get them deleted if it is off topic then. It may save you getting grey hairs for a few years
Cold and snow is discussed a lot this time of year because it's winter/early spring still, and it's occurring in a lot of places this time of year. But you don't see me, snj, ILMC or any other cold and snow lovers jerk off to it on every thread or bring it up unsolicited. And TBH I find it stupid when the likes of Cambium or someone like that brings up cold and snow in the middle of summer....

And I wouldn't report something stupid like that to a moderator, not my style. Even if someone insults I don't report it. Anyways, you act like this is exclusively a me problem, when 75% of the people on this forum find this annoying too.

And dude you act like you're not a grump on these forums lol every day I see you getting into an argument with someone new (or someone who you've previously argued with). Stop acting like Mr. Perfect Angel and **** lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather