Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the climate of London more similar to Sydney or New York City's
London's climate is more similar to Sydney's climate 23 52.27%
London's climate is more similar to New York City's climate 21 47.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:21 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,415,112 times

Advertisements

No way Madrid grows queens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 04:25 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,623,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
No way Madrid grows queens
yes it grows buddy, the lowest recorded in Madrid city is just -10.1ºC. I've seen them in Ibi, Alicante at 850m of altitude... which has winters almost akin to Madrid https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibi#Clima

Take account that I'm talking about the metropolitan area of Madrid, and urbanizations inside the city districts, I suppose for the UHI

http://archivo.infojardin.com/tema/s...miento.312868/

banana plants and Syagrus in Madrid, they have supported 3 winters at the moment and they look like that (notice that the post is from some years ago). The city of Madrid has a low avg of 2.7ºC in January.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
yes it grows buddy, the lowest recorded in Madrid city is just -10.1ºC. I've seen them in Ibi, Alicante at 850m of altitude... which has winters almost akin to Madrid https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibi#Clima

Take account that I'm talking about the metropolitan area of Madrid, and urbanizations inside the city districts, I suppose for the UHI

Syagrus romanzoffiana: información, resistencia a heladas, crecimiento...
I looked at hardiness map, Madrid is a weak 9. It would be hard pressed for a queen to survive. Jerusalem has similar winters to ibi and Queens also grow but Jerusalem is zone 10.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:28 PM

13,492 posts, read 9,043,793 times
I doubt also that Queen palms can survive in Madrid, certainly not long term anyway, even Phoenix canariensis sometimes get damaged there...

Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I looked at hardiness map, Madrid is a weak 9. It would be hard pressed for a queen to survive. Jerusalem has similar winters to ibi and Queens also grow but Jerusalem is zone 10.
Ibi is a zone 9 too

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I doubt also that Queen palms can survive in Madrid, certainly not long term anyway, even Phoenix canariensis sometimes get damaged there...
You have the photo above, a few other pages from Spanish forums talk about that, people saying that they grow them, but that's the only photo I achieved, which claims to be planted from 3 years, you have the link and the proof... Phoenix Canariensis where get damaged in Madrid? In the outside of the metropolitan area maybe, but not in the city, do you have any proof of that?

I would like to see it. As much as I readed was in palmtalk, a guy living outside Madrid which "has a friend which lives in Madrid", I readed that thread also, but I can show you some Google Maps street view zones with CIDPs and Washingtonias and you can check them in the winter to see that as much they got a very very few leaf damage, and because they're outside of Madrid like in Getafe or near Barajas.

Even Cuatro Vientos airport which is colder as Madrid (as you know, the average lows of Madrid - Retiro Park are warmer in winter than Cuatro Vientos) registered a low of -4ºC in 2016, -3ºC in 2015, -4ºC in 2014, -4ºC in 2013... just 2012 was colder and arrived to -7º, as 2010, but 2011 also was just -3.5ºC, 2009 -8ºC, 2008 -5ºC, 2007 -5ºC, 2006 -4ºC... https://www.tutiempo.net/clima/2016/ws-82230.html

And remember that the city is even warmer. In the last page I posted various photos of big and mature CIDPs and Wash., note that 2 are in winter (for the dead leaves of other trees) and they look good.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Ibi is a zone 9 too

You have the photo above, a few other pages from Spanish forums talk about that, people saying that they grow them, but that's the only photo I achieved, which claims to be planted from 3 years, you have the link and the proof... Phoenix Canariensis where get damaged in Madrid? In the outside of the metropolitan area maybe, but not in the city, have you any proof of that?

Even Cuatro Vientos airport which is colder as Madrid (as you know, the average lows of Madrid - Retiro Park are quite higher in winter than Cuatro Vientos) registered a low of -4ºC in 2016, -3ºC in 2015, -4ºC in 2014, -4ºC in 2013... just 2012 was colder and arrived to -7º, as 2010, but 2011 also was just -3.5ºC, 2009 -8ºC, 2008 -5ºC, 2007 -5ºC, 2006 -4ºC... https://www.tutiempo.net/clima/2016/ws-82230.html and remember that the city is even warmer.
One photo of a juvenile specimen Syagrus romanzoffiana does not prove they can grow in Madrid. There is no way they are long term palms anywhere in Madrid. And yes in colder winters Phoenix canariensis get burnt fronds as do Washingtonias. I have seen photos before on Palmtalk.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:38 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,379,917 times
What the **** does growing queen palms in Madrid have anything to do with this thread lol

Old 03-24-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
One photo of a juvenile specimen Syagrus romanzoffiana does not prove they can grow in Madrid. There is no way they are long term palms anywhere in Madrid. And yes in colder winters Phoenix canariensis get burnt fronds as do Washingtonias. I have seen photos before on Palmtalk.
Yep, photos posted by me hahaha (check it) and they were on the outskirts of Madrid as i'm saying to you. Such as in Getafe or near Barajas.

It was exactly me who posted the photos, as Phoenikakias was skeptic about palm trees in Madrid which weren't Trachycarpus and I posted lots of photos. Remember that?

I checked that post and some ones from a park located outside of Madrid in the south, which had many Washingtonias show a little leaf damage (yellowish) after the winter, but was a colder winter tho.

Phoenixes don't look with any damage. And that photo is from the park i'm mentioning outside Madrid on the south. But within Madrid they look great

A photo from the winter, as you can see any single damage

Old 03-24-2017, 04:39 PM

^^
Any thread related to London or the US south will be derailed with palm talk lmao.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Yep, photos posted by me hahaha (check it) and they were on the outskirts of Madrid as i'm saying to you. Such as in Getafe or near Barajas.

It was exactly me who posted the photos, as someone was skeptic about palm trees in Madrid which weren't Trachycarpus and I posted lots of photos. Remember that?

I checked that post and some ones from a park located outside of Madrid in the south, which had many Washingtonias show a little leaf damage (yellowish) after the winter, but was a colder winter tho.
No not ones posted by you. I have seen other photos from a long time ago & read various reports from various forums of people who have seen Phoenix & Washingtonias get leaf burn in colder winters...

Anyway this has nothing to do with this thread & Alex will burst a blood vessel if we continue to discuss palms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather