Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 09:48 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,420,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
It's not just a Florida thing. Savannah has been going through an increase in crime these past couple years. It's been a main focal point for the upcoming mayor elections there. Part of the problem is due to public housing being right beside the historic district.

The Savannah forum isn't a very active forum, but it has been a talking point there.
I think it's honestly a Southern thing. Southern states tend to have higher crime rates than Northern states, perhaps due to higher poverty?

Tallahassee is really bad with crime too. Nearly every mid-sized city in GA is bad with crime too (Albany, Columbus, Macon, etc) and same can be said for AL, MS, and especially LA.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:51 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,297,096 times
Yes, it's all them negroes!!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Yes, it's all them negroes!!

Or maybe the heat pisses people off and fries people's brains?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,499,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Actually, I think Tampa has higher crime than Miami as well. Miami has a reputation for high crime because it was essentially a war zone from the 70s-90s (and through the early 2000s as well). Not to say it's a walk in the park here, but there are worse areas within FL. Overall, FL is a bad state when it comes to crime. Nearly every major city has much above-normal crime.
St Petersburg is worse than Tampa I believe. Tampa is probably the nicest of the 4 major cities IMO.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
St Petersburg is worse than Tampa I believe. Tampa is probably the nicest of the 4 major cities IMO.
Yeah, I've heard St.Pete is really bad.

It's weird how nearly every single major city in FL has a reputation for high crime. Even mid-sized cities have reputations for high crime.

Believe it or not, the worst town in FL is actually a small town (Belle Glade). I've read Perry (about 50 miles SE of Tallahassee) is horrid too.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,405,351 times
Quote:
Actually, I think Tampa has higher crime than Miami as well. Miami has a reputation for high crime because it was essentially a war zone from the 70s-90s (and through the early 2000s as well). Not to say it's a walk in the park here, but there are worse areas within FL. Overall, FL is a bad state when it comes to crime. Nearly every major city has much above-normal crime.
Wow, and I always thought of Tampa as one of the better cities. I've never been to Miami, but I just assumed all the bad parts were like Pork and Beans, that's the way some people make it sound anyway. I'm really surprised that Orlando is considered dangerous, I've been all over there and I've never felt uncomfortable, but I'm from one of NYC's worst areas, so I'm used to bad areas being run down, Orlando isn't, at least not by my standards.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,499,910 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard St.Pete is really bad.

It's weird how nearly every single major city in FL has a reputation for high crime. Even mid-sized cities have reputations for high crime.

Believe it or not, the worst town in FL is actually a small town (Belle Glade). I've read Perry (about 50 miles SE of Tallahassee) is horrid too.
And speaking of football in southern Florida, over 60 NFL players have come from Belle Glade which is kind of random. Don't know anything about Perry.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Wow, and I always thought of Tampa as one of the better cities. I've never been to Miami, but I just assumed all the bad parts were like Pork and Beans, that's the way some people make it sound anyway. I'm really surprised that Orlando is considered dangerous, I've been all over there and I've never felt uncomfortable, but I'm from one of NYC's worst areas, so I'm used to bad areas being run down, Orlando isn't, at least not by my standards.
Pork and Beans is probably the worst part of Miami, though certain areas certainly give it a run for its money (places like Opa-Locka, Overtown, Florida City, etc).

I think you probably didn't wander off into the run down areas of Orlando. Did you ever go into Pine Hills or Parramore?

I remember back in 2013, I took a bus from Tallahassee back home to Miami and we made a stop in Orlando on the way back. The bus stop was in a VERY run down area, I didn't feel safe at all and I come from a bad part of Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
And speaking of football in southern Florida, over 60 NFL players have come from Belle Glade which is kind of random. Don't know anything about Perry.
Belle Glade does have a good football program. Must be all the blacks (jk)

Old 10-30-2015, 10:08 PM

I've never felt unsafe in any city, even while lost in the notorious northern suburbs of Mexico City.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:12 PM

Lol...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather