Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 03:26 PM

389 posts, read 586,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
LA isn't actually that dangerous contrary to the stereotype.. San Francisco I believe has a much higher homicide rate than Los Angeles, about 8-9 per 100,000 people which is baffling for such a 'rich city'.
Much more liberal, with a high 'transient' population - SF, like Portland, is full of the homeless and murder rates are high (but you reminded me, I forgot SF).

LA is much harder if one is homeless.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:28 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Quote:
LA isn't actually that dangerous contrary to the stereotype.. San Francisco I believe has a much higher homicide rate than Los Angeles, about 8-9 per 100,000 people which is baffling for such a 'rich city'.
A lot of that must be from Oakland - across the Bay. Oakland is known for having high homicide rates, though I'm not sure if those stats would be included with SF. I know SF has its fair share of hoods, but I know it's nothing compared to Oakland.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:32 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Gangs exist here.. there have been 8 shootings in Manchester over the past month, which might not be noteworthy for an American city but for here it's concerning. Manchester had a problem with guns in the 1990s/early 2000s so the police are hoping it isn't picking up again.

Here, no such problems.
Gang activity and culture has never been huge in the Nordics for some reason. The gangs we have are mostly loose non-criminal groups sharing some ideology or subculture, like the Helsinki block gangs in the early 20th century, rockabillies, punkers, anarchists, neo-nazis, and especially in Sweden football hooligans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
This country is way too big in size and population for that to happen and isn't NYC bigger in population than Finland?
I find the "too big" as a weak argument. Japan has no problem with guns. It's just putting up your hands in the air saying that it's not even worth trying. Or try it in Minnesota, exactly the same population Finland has, and 32% of the population are of Nordic decent. See what happens.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:34 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Hmmmmmmm perhaps might be worth on a state level - but on a federal one might be a bit too far-fetched. Even then, Florida has way too any rednecks that cling to their guns for that to come to fruition. I think the most logical thing would be to do some sort of psychological screening before the purchase of a gun or the handing of a license. Way too many crazy ****heads with guns here.

Eight shootings is quite a lot for a month, what's the population of Manchester?
Well, for the area in question the population is about 1.5 million.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Gang activity and culture has never been huge in the Nordics for some reason. The gangs we have are mostly loose non-criminal groups sharing some ideology or subculture, like the Helsinki block gangs in the early 20th century, rockabillies, punkers, anarchists, neo-nazis, and especially in Sweden football hooligans.

I find the "too big" as a weak argument. Japan has no problem with guns. It's just putting up your hands in the air saying that it's not even worth trying. Or try it in Minnesota, exactly the same population Finland has, and 32% of the population are of Nordic decent. See what happens.
The problem is the US has way too many right-wing nutjobs for that to happen. Right-wingers love their guns and bible. I would assume Japan is far more liberal than the U.S.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Well, for the area in question the population is about 1.5 million.
Oh, well then no. It wouldn't exactly be huge news here then. In a place like Seattle probably.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:37 PM

389 posts, read 586,867 times
Only a few miles separates them, but the murder rates for Detroit, MI and Windsor, Ontario are so vastly different. Overall Canadian homicide rates are only slightly higher than the Western European average, but in the US you have around 4 or 5 times the likelihood of getting murdered, and when you look at big cities like Milwaukee or Miami the difference is vast.

Even in New York City (despite a big reduction) you're still 5 times more likely to be whacked than in London, England.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
I don't think there were any fatalities involved.. it's all down to drugs. A mother and a son got caught up in a shooting though.. neither died but the son was in hospital in a bad state. He was only 7 at the time.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Only a few miles separates them, but the murder rates for Detroit, MI and Windsor, Ontario are so vastly different.
I think Detroit probably has a much higher rate of poverty than Windsor does.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:39 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,460,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Gang activity and culture has never been huge in the Nordics. The gangs we have are mostly non-criminal groups sharing some ideology or subculture, like the Helsinki block gangs in the early 20th century, rockabillies, punkers, anarchists, neo-nazis, and especially in Sweden football hooligans.

I find the "too big" as a weak argument. Japan has no problem with guns. It's just putting up your hands saying that it's not even worth trying. Or try it in Minnesota, exactly the same population Finland has, and 32% of the population are of Nordic decent. See what happens.
Well Japan is surrounded by ocean and the US is bordered by Mexico which hurts us a lot. A lot of guns are smuggled into the USA from Mexico which has much bigger problems than the US. You would think the US has a murder rate of 5,000,000 with all of the talk about murder rates on here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather