Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 10:29 AM

83,522 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Worked in Woodbridge, CT this morning. Couldn't resist stopping for this..

No baseball yet. Amazing to see here! And this isn't NW corner. This is between Shelton and Hamden in South Central CT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 04:23 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Took a long walk at Bluefield Preserve in St. Lucie County. About 5 miles I think.

Near the trailhead. Nothing exciting.

Marsh from the observation tower

Xeric hammock with sand live oaks

Deer moss - a lichen.

In the baygall

Mostly loblolly bay in here. One of my favorite trees.

Stream flowing out of the baygall

Bridge needs a bit of a repair

More sand live oaks

This oak was the victim of a fire.

Unidentified insect in a pricklypear cactus flower

Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Went to the Poconos yet again today, March 28, 2015. Still plenty of snow to be enjoyed. Also had some light snow flurries early in the morning. (I always get on the road very early when it's still dark out and usually get there not long after sunrise. Great feeling to be there at that time of day, especially when it's cold & snow covered.) Hiked about eight miles (13 km) in total today.

The trails.

Lots of debris in this spot!

Quite icy in some spots. This spot was pretty dangerous because of the ice (and it's going downhill; I'm facing the direction I came from in this picture). Had to walk around it on the snow.

Then got to this. Decided to turn around because it wasn't worth the risk. Very icy and nowhere to really walk around the ice while hiking downhill. That's a pretty big drop to the left. That's a short trail, though, so it's no big deal. Still a lot more walking to do.

Going back the other way, and gaining elevation, the snow was noticeably deeper. Still deeper than my whole boot in some spots! (Probably about 12 inches in this particular spot.) It's March 28th and this is only 100 miles from me, lol!

Another look at the snow depth.

Trail intersection. Midway point. I'm standing on the intersecting trail here, which can be used for snowmobiling.

A lot more of the boulders showing this time compared to my last few visits. Very windy at this point in that open field and temperatures probably around 27 F / -3 C - no higher than that. I had to put on all the layers I had packed in my backpack: a thermal undershirt, t-shirt, two sweatshirts, and my jacket. A winter hat and gloves, too, of course. I already had all that on except the extra sweatshirt.

Last edited by snj90; 03-28-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 08:44 PM

That's incredible! Crampons definitely were needed there. I like the boulders updates.

I got lakes around here still frozen. That's crazy itself let alone the snowpack and piles. What's going on? 64 straight days now.

Still snowing lightly here. New snow on old makes it look nice and fresh

Old 03-29-2015, 06:21 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,805,277 times
some more from central sweden. lower terrain (100-150m) this time. 15-20cm snow-cover, alltough more patched (nothing on the south oriented slopes). 1C, overcast and sleet.

a bit higher ground, -1C, overcast, snow.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,693,663 times
Mountain plateau near Røros, Norway, this weekend, about 800 m asl.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:54 AM

From a park near me this morning. NUTS!

Simply amazing we cant see the seesaw under the snow even in sun or shade in this spring season in SWCT. 3-29-15 .

Typically see kids in parks, playgrounds, ect this time of year. We never even have small piles around.

This is so cool. Had a dusting of snow everywhere this morning. The snow is melting in the sun and its cool to see the snow line follow the shade/sun line. 33°F/1C with full sun at 12pm March 29th. NUTS!!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Took a long walk at Bluefield Preserve in St. Lucie County. About 5 miles I think.

Near the trailhead. Nothing exciting.
Hard for anything back home to look exciting after you've been out west. Though you got nice trees and interesting plants there, but it's too flat for me. Meant to reply to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Had a nice time in California

Going down Lombard Street in San Francisco

Redwoods at Muir Woods

Yosemite Falls on a crisp 41F morning

Top of Yosemite Falls on a not-so-crisp 78F afternoon. 2700 feet of elevation gain..very exhausting

Still some snow in the High Sierra

High voltage picnic area

View of the upper falls down by the Merced River
Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing your photos. I wanted to do that hike up Yosemite Falls when I visited Yosemite, family I was with wasn't interested. I assume it 78°F in the valley not at the top? 78°F at the top of the valley would mean very hot Central Valley temperatures. Forecast looks like it's around the mid 50s now:

North Dome Weather Forecast (2299m)

Not much snow up there at all.

Quote:
Succulents with pink flowers at Drakes Beach, Point Reyes National Seashore

Some crazy people were actually swimming in the 59F water

Scenic power line

More cliffside succulents, this time with yellow flowers

Lighthouse at the end of the world. A good workout climbing back up the 300 steps.
Point Reyes is beautiful; don't think a lot of visitors know about it. I visited it December 2013, it was all dried up when I went, looks prettier in your photos. Didn't get to the lighthouse; bottom section was closed. I think I forgot to add my lighthouse photo, it was very windy there. Here's from my trip:

North Dome Weather Forecast (2299m)

Old 03-29-2015, 10:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yup, the NYT building and BoA tower. C'mon, you're American, 150 miles is as close as it gets. What big city is within 150 miles from here? Marseille? Meh, I'd rather stay home.
Nope, Boston's 100 miles away. Nice doesn't count for you? Too small? I noticed you don't posted much photos of Nice, or at least in or near the city center. Are the surroundings more interesting?

Is nice to have big cities close by.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Mountain plateau near Røros, Norway, this weekend, about 800 m asl.
How deep is that snow? I wonder if snow up at 800 m here is still fresh looking and deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather