Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is the cause of recent global warming?
I think It's mostly man-made. 56 31.11%
I think It's mostly natural. 66 36.67%
I'm not sure. 11 6.11%
I think it's an equal combination of man and natural influences. 47 26.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:04 PM

269 posts, read 237,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
Good luck with the "no heated arguments" goal. Few things seem to get people more angry than somebody not just buying everything global warming that comes down the pipeline. I voted "not sure", because I find the question loaded, but didn't want to post with out at least adding to the poll.

For example, it's like asking the same questions about the recent solar minimum. "What is the cause of the recent changes in solar radiation?" Then including "mankind" as one possible answer. You might expect somebody to argue that such a poll is ridiculous. Except if we are talking about changes in sunlight at the surface of the planet, mankind could actually be a cause. So if the poll is actually about sunlight and air pollution, it could be valid.

Which is why global warming has to be defined before you can have a discussion, or poll, about it. anyone who refuses to define what they mean by global warming is putting the cart before the horse.

Which is more than enough to start a huge argument.
By "recent global warming" I mean the warming commonly attributed to greenhouse gases emitted by mankind.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:38 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Everyone needs an excuse (a reason), just like with weather. Ie: It got cold because the MJO went that way. We got a snowstorm because the Typhoon went to visit Uncle Joe. We had a heat wave because the Maple tree sang to me. There's been record low Atlantic hurricanes because the fish are moving too much...ect. They always have to find a reason for something happening to fit their theory. (both sides of the argument)

Anyway ... The sun is ignored way to much and only a select few actually mention it.

Speaking of the sun..... The Maunder Minimum was a time of almost no sunspots from 1645-1715. It was a time of colder winters in eastern North America and Europe when the Thames froze

Old 06-25-2015, 08:08 AM

29,526 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Had a heated discussion with a friend who is a computer climate model worshiper and cited this study on how Chicago will see many more 90 degree days in this century.

From the study it show that Chi/ORD will go from 17 days a year to 45 day within the next 35 years (laughable), to 75 by the end of the century (lunacy).

Quote:
In Chicago, the hottest days of the year today are those above 90°F and the city sees about 17 of those days a year, on average. But by the end of the century, the Windy City will see a whopping 75 days above 90°, and in the shorter term, would see 45 such days by mid-century.
Then I sent him this

He had no response as to why while co2 has increased by 100ppm since the 1930's we have the fewest 90F days this decade than any other, and how the trend rate is going exactly opposite of model predictions.

more from the study

Quote:
ome of the other findings from the analysis include:

New York, which currently sees 18 days above 90°F, will see more than 39 days above 90°F by 2041-2060 under the highest-emissions scenario and more than 69 days by 2080-2099.

Los Angeles currently sees 23 days above 90°F but will see more than 41 by 2041-2060 and 79 by 2080-2099 if emissions continue unabated; even under the lowest-emissions scenario it will see more than 28 days above 90°F by 2041-2060.

Philadelphia currently see 29 days above 90°F but will average over 58 a year by 2041-2060 and more than 89 a year by 2080-2099 under the present trajectory; only under the lowest-emissions scenario will the number of days above 90°F remain unchanged.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
He had no response as to why while co2 has increased by 100ppm since the 1930's we have the fewest 90F days this decade than any other
Not just local...

The record # of highs created in the 1920s & 1930s were more than past 7 decades meanwhile how has the CO2 trend been? LOL

Meanwhile when we do have record warm temps what do they do nowadays? They salivate over it so they can use it to "push" something.

"They"(the brainwashers of global warming) will find things to use as "the excuse" to support their theory, when in reality they sound so damn idiotic as if they never picked up a book in their life. Been frustrating to keep hearing and the general public just doesn't understand that because they aren't around weather/climate folks enough to hear debates or the other side or research and rebuttal themselves.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Had a heated discussion with a friend who is a computer climate model worshiper and cited this study on how Chicago will see many more 90 degree days in this century.

From the study it show that Chi/ORD will go from 17 days a year to 45 day within the next 35 years (laughable), to 75 by the end of the century (lunacy).

Then I sent him this

He had no response as to why while co2 has increased by 100ppm since the 1930's we have the fewest 90F days this decade than any other, and how the trend rate is going exactly opposite of model predictions.

more from the study
I can give you a response. While mean temperatures have increases the daily highs have been going down. In other words, more than 100% of the warming has come from the warmer daily lows. This reason why the highs have dropped is because the humidity has gone up, which in turn has lowered the diurnal temperature range.

Let's think of an extreme example: The moon. On the moon there is no atmosphere, and the temperatures swing from like +100 and something to -100 and something. Now, put an atmosphere, and what do you get? You get a huge drop in the daily highs, but an even bigger rise in daily lows, and thus a warmer mean. Add even more greenhouse gasses, and the trend continues.

On the point of extreme heat, it is interesting that of the 16 most most extreme heat waves in BC, none of them occurred in the 1930s! This contrasts greatly with what you find in most of North America east of the Rockies.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:10 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Everyone needs an excuse (a reason), just like with weather. Ie: It got cold because the MJO went that way. We got a snowstorm because the Typhoon went to visit Uncle Joe. We had a heat wave because the Maple tree sang to me. There's been record low Atlantic hurricanes because the fish are moving too much...ect. They always have to find a reason for something happening to fit their theory. (both sides of the argument)

Anyway ... The sun is ignored way to much and only a select few actually mention it.

Speaking of the sun..... The Maunder Minimum was a time of almost no sunspots from 1645-1715. It was a time of colder winters in eastern North America and Europe when the Thames froze

Is there any chance of this wondrous event occurring in my lifetime? I wonder what the climate in CNY was like during that era. I bet 80-degree days were rare in summer...lol.

Where I grew up in the Piedmont of North Carolina, I learned about how the early settlers used to cut out blocks of ice from the nearby river and keep it in caves for summertime use - that river sure hasn't frozen in modern times, let alone thick enough to cut huge blocks of ice from it.

What we really need is a redux of the Maunder Minimum, plus a series of huge volcanic eruptions taking place over a decade or so, and a cloud of cosmic dust coming through the Solar System to dim the sunlight a bit more, for good measure...lol.

I know I'm fantasizing, but a fellow can dream, right?

Old 06-25-2015, 11:24 AM
SFX

1,637 posts, read 893,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
I can give you a response. While mean temperatures have increases the daily highs have been going down. In other words, more than 100% of the warming has come from the warmer daily lows.
Let's see if that is actually true. First, the warming.

Was it from higher Tmax?

Or from warmer lows?

Old 06-25-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Is there any chance of this wondrous event occurring in my lifetime? I wonder what the climate in CNY was like during that era. I bet 80-degree days were rare in summer...lol.

Where I grew up in the Piedmont of North Carolina, I learned about how the early settlers used to cut out blocks of ice from the nearby river and keep it in caves for summertime use - that river sure hasn't frozen in modern times, let alone thick enough to cut huge blocks of ice from it.

What we really need is a redux of the Maunder Minimum, plus a series of huge volcanic eruptions taking place over a decade or so, and a cloud of cosmic dust coming through the Solar System to dim the sunlight a bit more, for good measure...lol.

I know I'm fantasizing, but a fellow can dream, right?
Lol, you & me both. Cool story about the ice blocks.

This was great.. I was seeing and hearing it before I realized what they were doing to us. Was getting too much it was so obvious. Yes folks, I was suckered into the fear but then woke up.

ABC 7(and so many more outlets) years ago, predicting NYC would be under water in 2015 because of global warming

"hilarious (although not intentionally) report by ABC titled "Earth 2015." You have to see this. It's just a 53-second clip but it hits all the highlights.
New York City underwater?
Milk at $12 a gallon?
Gas at $9 a gallon?

And all this was supposed to happen by June 8, 2015 - which of course was just a few days ago"

Politics: VIDEO: ABC 7 years ago, predicting NYC would be under water in 2015 because of global warming | Best of Cain

Old 07-02-2015, 04:17 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
There's still a 4 foot high snowbank in St John's, Newfoundland.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
There's still a 4 foot high snowbank in St John's, Newfoundland.
Cool. And there's still snow left in Boston. Not the fresh kind but its still snow. In fact they removed a ton of garbage from it and now the mayor has people guessing when it will be gone.

https://twitter.com/BostonDotCom/sta...24421365108736
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.