Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,475,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sounds depressing. Don't mind some rain, but why would you want the best season of the year marred by gloom?
It's the best season of the year because of convective thunderstorms. Why would you want an already chilly season made even worse by gloom and steady rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,528,628 times
Quote:
Sounds depressing. Don't mind some rain, but why would you want the best season of the year marred by gloom?
Summer the best season of the year?

I'm already getting depressed by the prospect of clear, sunny, HOT days, for month after month after month. I dread the thought of having to endure another 2007 (and 2008 and 2009...) with its "blue skies of death." The summer of 2005, the first summer I lived in Atlanta, was just the ticket - it rained and rained (it was the wettest June-Aug on record), and I was so happy, thinking this was the norm for here. Boy, I was proven wrong just two years later - I'm still suffering the emotional scars from that.

Save the dry, sunny days for fall and winter - bring on the clouds and rain for the spring and summer. I want a redux of summer 2005, coupled with a May of 2002 (the rainiest May on record for Atlanta.) What the hell, might as well throw in the September of 2009 as well, the wettest month on record...lol.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,134,600 times
Started at 4-5C this AM, going to a max of 17C.

Yesterday was 24-25C after Sunday's 20-21C.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
It's the best season of the year because of convective thunderstorms. Why would you want an already chilly season made even worse by gloom and steady rain?
Exactly. It just makes the heat run more, pushing up the gas bill. When it's sunny in winter, the sun does the heating for me - money in my pocket. In summer, the clouds and rain cut the need for AC - again, mo' money for me.

And besides, the plants need rain in summer, compared to winter, when it's a silly waste. That's why I absolutely despise Mediterranean climates - I think they're an abomination of nature...lol.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,611,588 times
Quote:
I don't care about those seasons as much, except for May and September — I'm not outside much, there's not as much growing out so the landscape is blander.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Exactly. It just makes the heat run more, pushing up the gas bill. When it's sunny in winter, the sun does the heating for me - money in my pocket. In summer, the clouds and rain cut the need for AC - again, mo' money for me.
Sun is too weak to help heat-wise midwinter, late February and March it can help a bit. Cloudy summer weather is often more humid, meaning warmer nights so things cool off worse not better. Though we have gotten cool summers with rain, too. But for hotter summer weather, cloudy stretches are generally worse comfort-wise except mid-afternoon.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,475,371 times
Quote:
I don't care about those seasons as much, except for May and September — I'm not outside much, there's not as much growing out so the landscape is blander.
In my ideal climate, you'd like spring the best as it's 70s & low 80s with sunshine and the lowest humidity of the year. Summer gets hotter AND cloudier with the wet season.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Summer the best season of the year?

I'm already getting depressed by the prospect of clear, sunny, HOT days, for month after month after month.
I not only had the window open in the afternoon the last two days, I left one window open by mistake overnight and it was comfortable inside! Smells so fresh inside. Only a few more weeks and it'll be like that for five months. I've waited a long, long time for this.

Since I'm more interested in the lack of cold and greenery rather than hot temperatures, I think of seasons as the "warm season" —*last week of April to the first two weeks of October in the broadest definition, the beginning and end weeks can be marginal — and everything else. The first half of June isn't consistently hot here, feels like more of an extension of spring than "summer", so I like to think it of it as just "warm season".

Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
In my ideal climate, you'd like spring the best as it's 70s & low 80s with sunshine and the lowest humidity of the year. Summer gets hotter AND cloudier with the wet season.
I'd be ok with a less comfortable summer together with my ideal "warm season weather" for spring and fall. Not what I'm used to.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I not only had the window open in the afternoon the last two days, I left one window open by mistake overnight and it was comfortable inside! Smells so fresh inside. Only a few more weeks and it'll be like that for five months. I've waited a long, long time for this.

Since I'm more interested in the lack of cold and greenery rather than hot temperatures, I think of seasons as the "warm season" —*last week of April to the first two weeks of October in the broadest definition, the beginning and end weeks can be marginal — and everything else. The first half of June isn't consistently hot here, feels like more of an extension of spring than "summer", so I like to think it of it as just "warm season".
Yeah, that's the beauty of your climate - summer really is a pleasant season up there. I've my windows open too, but I doubt I'll be able to keep them open for that much longer. If summer was merely "warm" - sure, the sun is fine, so long as the rains are frequent and productive - much like I experienced in the UP of Michigan when I visited 2 years ago. Talk about the smell - man, it was pure heaven.

My climate is 100% more tolerable if we have wet, cloudy summers, and our winters are mild enough such that sunny days do make it quite pleasant to do outdoor activities. Up north, I'd want it to be snowy of course, and if it's going to be snowy, I don't care for sun too much, since it's too bright and melts the snow unnecessarily.

If there's one thing I miss about Florida, it's those awesome thunderstorms we used to get - I never tired of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather