Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 02:17 PM

29,547 posts, read 19,640,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So on one hand you agree it has a role, on the other you can't see the correlation.
During that 10 year period, that I posted above? No, I don't see a correlation. Over a longer period like the Little Ice Age? Yes I do see a correlation.

In this lecture Alley shows a chart during the Little Ice Age period which coincided with a double whammy of low sun spots and high volcanic activity (4 min in)

https://youtu.be/ujkcTZZlikg

Quote:

We will never see a 100% exact correlation. Look at the whole picture.

You've taken on a different approach to things lately. Not sure if you're reading the wrong things or just your opinion changed because something happened, but I remember it being different before recently.
Between the PDO and now this. We both can find things that support our opinion, I get that, (it gets old after time) but if you think the Sun doesn't affect weather & climate on Earth that's crazy. It doesn't take a genius to see what the long term effect is.. Just look at the graph. We're still in Modern Maxima, hence all the hot years recently

But you cant say "hey look, the sun is quiet, its gonna be cold tomorrow" It doesn't work like that.
Just been reading and watching lectures from very intelligent people such as climate scientist Dr. Richard Alley.

If you have an hour, watch this lecture

https://youtu.be/RffPSrRpq_g

Quote:
Also understand Urban Heat Islands and "local" warming is different now. We didn't have Jumbo airplanes and blacktop in the 1800s. So you have to factor that in as well...or at least remember it.
I do, and that can help explain some of the warming over populated areas, but the greatest warming is occurring over the Arctic, and on Eurasia (Siberia) where there is no UHI.

Quote:
I think it's fascinating , I always loved Science , but I don't think we should go back and forth and try to prove one theory or another. There's still a ton of work and research to be done.. I myself will stick to NASA with the info and charts provided.. I know there's more to learn!

NASA/Marshall Solar Physics

So do I. However you won't find any Academic Science body (also NASA), that doesn't support the theory that GHG's are the driving force in the current warming.

What's Wrong with the Sun? - NASA Science

Understanding the sun-climate connection

Read this too

Quote:
The Sunspot Number, the longest scientific experiment still ongoing, is a crucial tool used to study the solar dynamo, space weather and climate change. It has now been recalibrated and shows a consistent history of solar activity over the past few centuries.
The new record has no significant long-term upward trend in solar activity since 1700, as was previously indicated. This suggests that rising global temperatures since the industrial revolution cannot be attributed to increased solar activity.

The analysis, its results and its implications for climate research were made public on 7 August at a press briefing at the International Astronomical Union (IAU) XXIX General Assembly, currently taking place in Honolulu, Hawai`i, USA.

The Maunder Minimum, between 1645 and 1715, when sunspots were scarce and the winters harsh, strongly suggests a link between solar activity and climate change. Until now there was a general consensus that solar activity has been trending upwards over the past 300 years (since the end of the Maunder Minimum), peaking in the late 20th century — called the Modern Grand Maximum by some.
https://astronomynow.com/2015/08/08/...-solar-trends/

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 06-05-2016 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM

https://twitter.com/commoditywx/stat...69042991828992

Old 06-06-2016, 12:06 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
That's crazy. 4 days in a row no sun spots?? When was the last time that happened?

Actually its 3. Today isn't over. Still... wow.

SOLARHAM.com | Solar Cycle 24 | Space Weather and Amateur Radio Website

"Good evening. Attached is a look at the visible solar disk as we head into Monday. The disk remains blank for the 3rd day in a row. One of the main indicators of solar activity output, the 10.7cm radio flux (solar flux), stands at 79. More quiet is to be expected during the next few days.

In other news, the solar wind remains elevated above 500 km/s. Periods of minor (G1) geomagnetic storming could persist during the next 12 hours at higher latitudes. Stay tuned to SolarHam.com for the latest spaceweather data and imagery."

Old 06-06-2016, 12:12 PM

Here's another Solar link...

NASA | SDO | Solar Dynamics Observatory

Damn, just blank.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:30 PM

While they got the prediction of the peak wrong... (actual was much lower than they thought) I find it so fascinating that they can predict the ups and downs of the Suns activity and cycles. It's like we can guarantee its on a downturn and heading for minimum "in this cycle"..

" Predicting the behavior of a sunspot cycle is fairly reliable once the cycle is well underway (about 3 years after the minimum in sunspot number occurs [see Hathaway, Wilson, and Reichmann Solar Physics; 151, 177 (1994)]). Prior to that time the predictions are less reliable but nonetheless equally as important. Planning for satellite orbits and space missions often require knowledge of solar activity levels years in advance.

A number of techniques are used to predict the amplitude of a cycle during the time near and before sunspot minimum. Relationships have been found between the size of the next cycle maximum and the length of the previous cycle, the level of activity at sunspot minimum, and the size of the previous cycle."

NASA/Marshall Solar Physics

Old 06-06-2016, 12:54 PM

AWESOME graph showing the comparison of the last 4 cycles.

IMO that is interesting yet kinda scary to see the current cycle being so low compared to the previous. Whoa.

This basically says at no point in this current cycle since it began in 2008 was it higher than any point in the other cycles before.

And each peak has been lower as if the sun is getting tired and tired.

175+ sun spots a month is pretty darn high. Sun has been very active & on fire, now wants to take a long nap

Solar Terrestrial Activity Report

Old 06-06-2016, 01:22 PM

Fewer sunspots colder winters (especially Europe)?

Quote:
A sunspot connection?
And this is where Sirocko and colleagues come in. Last winter, while the unusually cold weather fed Elfstedentocht fever throughout the Netherlands (but, alas, to no avail), the researchers began thinking about the fact that the cold weather waas occuring at the same time as a deep minimum in sunspot activity.* Was that, the researchers wondered, simply a coincidence or could the sunspot minima be a trigger for cold winters in Europe?

To answer that question the researchers attempted to see if there was a correlation between the Rhine freezing over (as a proxy for “cold” winters) and sunspot activity over the past 230 years. The authors chose the freezing of the Rhine as their proxy because, given the long use of the river for shipping and transport, it is a well-documented event as well as a simple one to document.

The results of their analysis are pretty striking. Over the last 230 years there have been 14 “freezes,” and 10 of them have occurred in years near solar minima. Statistically the researchers found that there was only a one percent probability that the correlation was a random coincidence. The authors speculate that the connection between sunspots and cold European winters is being driven by the following mechanisms:

Low sunspot activity,
Lower influx of energetic particles and ultraviolet rays from the Sun and
Lower stratospheric temperatures propagated down into the troposphere, triggering a shift in the circulation patterns in the North Atlantic and regional weather in Europe, such that cold air flows from the Arctic and Scandinavia towards central Europe, leading to colder temps over parts of central Europe.
The Green Grok – Sunspots and climate: a new frozen connection

Old 06-29-2016, 03:57 PM

2nd time in a month. gees

https://twitter.com/NJSnowFan/status/748174648668487680

Old 06-29-2016, 06:44 PM

https://twitter.com/briweather16/sta...79729334063104

More from JB

"If Winter is cold, there are far more physically sound reasons than one year of down sunspots, Example , looking closely at 84-85 for analog"

"Longer term, over decades, centuries, sun would be a huge factor. But short term linkage more the polish than leather as far as factors"

Old 06-29-2016, 06:46 PM

https://twitter.com/ellenbacca/statu...87602878320640
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather