Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 12:16 PM
SFX

1,639 posts, read 896,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
And this is all happening on average. Outlier cold/warm years mean nothing.
But the trend means a lot.

Early record snow is not a sign of global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 12:40 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,414,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
If global warming was causing climate change, we would see frost, freezes and snow coming later in the fall. We would see more rain and less snow in winter, and night time lows would be rising faster than daytime highs. Spring would come earlier, and warming would be greater over land than the oceans.

Early record cold and snow has never been a prediction of global warming theory.
You replied to a message from 2016. Since then I believe the globe has not warmed which would lead to the question.... Is the effect of the quiet sun starting to show up? We wont know for another few yrs, maybe a decade? The trend line will take a while to show up, there will be ups and downs during.

And it wont be for 1 location (ie Chicago), but I do believe in my opinion regions will be showing the affects of it as well as the globe but The globe is huge, I hate using Australia's, or Indias, or Arctic, or Pacific, Avg to debunk a cooling trend because there's so many factors that go into a weather climate pattern its not the same for everyone. Plus people forget what goes into a trend. Warm nights can mislead it all. 5 hot days can ruin an entire month below normal. I hate that fact.

It's well documented the sun controls the climate on earth (one of many drivers)

Old 10-09-2019, 04:37 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,972,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
But the trend means a lot.

Early record snow is not a sign of global warming.
Northern Hemisphere snow cover is increasing in fall and decreasing in spring. I think the fall increase has to do with more open ocean in the Arctic providing more moisture for storms.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:36 PM
SFX

That's the theory of Judah Cohen. Siberian snowfall as predictor of Northern Hemisphere winters. At least Europe and the Eastern US.

It's a great time to be watching the weather/climate

Old 10-21-2019, 05:21 AM

Interesting Paper/Research.

Changes in Earth’s solar orbit changes Earth's Climate.

Quote:
But, for about 50 years, Milankovitch's theory was largely ignored. Then, in 1976, a study published in the journal Science examined deep-sea sediment cores and found that Milankovitch's theory did in fact correspond to periods of climate change (Hays et al. 1976). Specifically, the authors were able to extract the record of temperature change going back 450,000 years and found that major variations in climate were closely associated with changes in the geometry (eccentricity, obliquity, and precession) of Earth's orbit.
Indeed, ice ages had occurred when the Earth was going through different stages of orbital variation.

Since this study, the National Research Council of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences has embraced the Milankovitch Cycle model.

Sources:
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/fe...nkovitch_1.php
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/fe...nkovitch_2.php
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/fe...nkovitch_3.php

Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 AM
SFX

Before 1976 the theories to explain the ice ages were so numerous, you could write a book about them.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:56 AM

I like how some winter forecasts and now using "solar minimum" as a factor in their forecast. LOL. Doesn't work like that but I guess you can use it since there is "some" short term effect.

Check out Solar Cycle 25.

Quote:
Solar cycle forecasting is a new science

While daily weather forecasts are the most widely used type of scientific information in the U.S., solar forecasting is relatively new. Given that the Sun takes 11 years to complete one solar cycle, this is only the fourth time a solar cycle prediction has been issued by U.S. scientists. The first panel convened in 1989 for Cycle 22.

Source:

Old 10-21-2019, 11:04 AM

Same source as above...

"Cycle 25 is anticipated to peak between 2023-2026, & a sunspot range of 95 to 130. This is well below the average number of sunspots"

“We expect Solar Cycle 25 will be very similar to Cycle 24: another fairly weak cycle, preceded by a long, deep minimum”

Pretty crazy how they are forecasting a long deep minimum. That's similar to 1700s or even before. It's going to be interesting to follow this and any effects it has. I also read studies that showed volcanoes become active when sun is inactive. Maybe the combo of the 2 will "change" things. Hope we don't get taxed on saving the planet before it naturally does. Taxes and inflation rarely get reversed.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:30 AM

Speaking of Solar.....

Only 1.1 hrs of sun in the past 9 days here.

Last time with more than 50% of the day with sun was Jan 8th.

Last time with more than 6 hours of sunlight in a day was October 21st!

Old 02-01-2024, 08:44 PM

5,903 posts, read 6,115,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Speaking of Solar.....

Only 1.1 hrs of sun in the past 9 days here.

Last time with more than 50% of the day with sun was Jan 8th.

Last time with more than 6 hours of sunlight in a day was October 21st!
We had 26 days with 100% clouds, although in two of those the clouds were "translucent" (letting a fair bit of sunshine through, but still had visible cloud cover blanketing the whole sky)

Example of what I mean by translucent clouds.

Aside from that, 3 days that were mostly cloudy (1-3 hours of sun), and 2 days I recorded as a "mix of sun and clouds" (3-5 hours of sun), although from what I recall, it was only around 3.5-4 hours, so I think we've had zero days in January that had >50% sunshine.

The upcoming days look like they'll make up for that though, with an abundance of sunshine. I haven't been awakened by sun shining through my SE facing bedroom window since December (or even November? definitely not January).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather