Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more likely to get a freak 6 inch snow accumulation?
Downtown San Jose, CA 2 8.00%
Orlando, FL 8 32.00%
Both are impossible 15 60.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:57 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,890,125 times

Advertisements

Snow is very rare in both locations but both downtown San Jose and Orlando have recorded very light accumulations (trace up to an inch or so) a few times in recorded history. Neither has recorded anything close to six inches though.

Which location is more likely to get a freak 6 inch snow accumulation event?

A) Downtown San Jose- cooler winter averages but a lower standard deviation than Orlando with a winter "rainy season" (semi-arid climate so even the rainy season isn't all that rainy although there are much wetter microclimates nearby). Unlike the Southeastern U.S., the Pacific Ocean moderates San Jose's climate to keep it from getting hard freezes most years. Averages 3-5 subfreezing nights a year but it's almost always on clear nights after the cold front has passed.

San Jose, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

B) Orlando- warmer winter averages but far more standard deviation than San Jose due to a continental influence. Winter is their "drier" season but Orlando does rain a few times a month during their dry season. Also averages 3-5 subfreezing nights a year but it's also almost always on clear nights after the cold front has passed. However, the climate is a lot less stable than San Jose with a lot more "weather" action in general.

Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

C) Although both locations can get light snow accumulations under freak circumstances, 6 inches would be IMPOSSIBLE in either location.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 02-09-2014 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
I think C is the most likely option... Especially nowadays, I see the likelihood of that amount of snow occurring in either city to be very very rare... So virtually impossible

Old 02-09-2014, 12:27 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think C is the most likely option... Especially nowadays, I see the likelihood of that amount of snow occurring in either city to be very very rare... So virtually impossible
I think as long as we've established that either place can get accumulating snow, either one could get 6 inches, in theory, if conditions are right. And whatever the likelihood is, I definitely disagree that it is less likely now than it once was. Especially here on the East Coast, we seem to be having more large snowstorms, not fewer. Case in point, Philadelphia's largest snowstorm in recorded history was as recent as 1996, when 31 inches fell, and since then we've had 4 snowstorms since the year 2000 that rank amount the top 10 largest. I think you'd find a similar trend for other East Coast cities, and while it'll always be a bit of a stretch to see how this benefits Florida, my point remains that conditions are not necessarily getting less favorable for it on this side of the country. If it can snow in the first place and accumulate, then it can snow a lot if there's enough moisture.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:28 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I think as long as we've established that either place can get accumulating snow, either one could get 6 inches, in theory, if conditions are right. And whatever the likelihood is, I definitely disagree that it is less likely now than it once was. Especially here on the East Coast, we seem to be having more large snowstorms, not fewer. Case in point, Philadelphia's largest snowstorm in recorded history was as recent as 1996, when 31 inches fell, and since then we've had 4 snowstorms since the year 2000 that rank amount the top 10 largest. I think you'd find a similar trend for other East Coast cities, and while it'll always be a bit of a stretch to see how this benefits Florida, my point remains that conditions are not necessarily getting less favorable for it on this side of the country. If it can snow in the first place and accumulate, then it can snow a lot if there's enough moisture.

And yet during the same time frame our average winter temps are going up. Warming ocean waters are causing this increased precip in both summer and winter. The last few summers seem to have been like a monsoon.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
San Jose - Cooler winter days and cold lows.

Orlando seems too warm.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:07 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,976,734 times
I choose option C.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
San Jose - Cooler winter days and cold lows.

Orlando seems too warm.
Except that San Jose is USDA hardiness zone 10B while Orlando is 9B

Old 04-17-2016, 10:57 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,849,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Orlando- warmer winter averages but far more standard deviation than San Jose due to a continental influence. Winter is their "drier" season but Orlando does rain a few times a month during their dry season. Also averages 3-5 subfreezing nights a year but it's also almost always on clear nights after the cold front has passed. However, the climate is a lot less stable than San Jose with a lot more "weather" action in general.
Freezing weather doesn't happen that often in Orlando proper due to the urban heat island. They did not go below 35 F this past winter and they only bottomed out at 33 F during winter 2014-2015. In fact, only a select few nights even drop below 40 F there.

That being said, I'm going with option C. There just too much water moderation going on around both locations to allow enough cold air to stay consistent with moisture. However, San Jose does have mountains nearby, so you won't have to drive very far to see potential snow, unlike Orlando.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:11 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Except that San Jose is USDA hardiness zone 10B while Orlando is 9B
Has nothing to do with snow. I don't think 6 inches of snow is possible in either location.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:25 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
I would go with option C.

Il live in a climate that is much colder and wetter in winter than San Jose or Orlando, but snow is about as rare (some nearby areas have no record of snowfall), and 6 inches would be very unlikely here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather