Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 PM

83,702 posts, read 76,119,798 times

Advertisements

Isn't it amazing how the models can pick up a potential storm 7+ days away when the energy is still on other side of the globe? and a gulf storm that's not even formed yet?? That's just fascinating!

Its like looking into the future...without the details of course.

Its all about timing and conditions in our fluid atmopshere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 08:34 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,782,694 times
^^

And the skill and accuracy of pinpointing where these storms will hit keep improving.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 PM

44,455 posts, read 20,219,930 times
No spring here yet. I live in NW Indiana, a little over an hour's drive from Chicago. It's in the 20s right now, and we're due for more cold, snowy weather over the next few days. < sigh >

Despite the wintry weather, though, there are signs of spring in my yard. Little green shoots have poked through the soil and dry leaves in my flower garden, and the birds are singing their beautiful mating songs. Surely, spring weather is soon to come!

Hope "springs" eternal.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 AM

Euro which was furthest away is now the closest to the coast. Something interesting its showing.. It has the Gulf low moving OTS direction but a new low forms because of the negative trough and the gulf low gets dragged in towards the coast more which means precip will get thrown into arctic air.

Hmmm!!! Huge implications with that scenario. Once you understand the true details of a storm scenario you'll realize how hard things need to be in order to get a big event.

This was never a Mid Atlantic snow event. its NYC northward but the SouthEast New England has been consistently in the spotlight.

Here's what the Euro shows for snow totals.

Bernie Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqa8SoW9C-E

Old 03-23-2014, 06:36 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,036,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm not liking this long range model for the summer in the US.... (Europe looks warm)

and even this coming fall

^^

At least this is contradictory to the Euro long range which probably has better skill that far out.
Hmm...maybe I was right. Perhaps it will never be above normal again . Seriously, none of these seasonal forecast models are reliable, so we'll just have to wait and see. At this point anything could happen.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Hmm...maybe I was right. Perhaps it will never be above normal again . .
Quick Flashback I had: Early Season Major Snowstorm September 26-27, 2013 for Wyoming then 1 week later October 3-4 again for Wyoming, & included South Dakota Rapid City area.

So we've been tracking snowstorms for pretty much 6 months now.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 AM

Current 850mb temps. Freezing line aloft down to Texas with Arctic High dropping in for a visit again. Will move to Ohio Valley then Great Lakes. Front drops to Florida, high moves of coast.

And the result of the 850mb temp drop is this at the surface...

Cleveland Ohio.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH
720 AM EDT SUN MAR 23 2014

.SYNOPSIS...
ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE NORTHERN PLAINS TODAY WILL MOVE
SOUTHEAST INTO THE OHIO VALLEY AND LOWER GREAT LAKES ON MONDAY.
TUESDAY THE HIGH WILL MOVE OFF THE NEW ENGLAND COAST AND ALLOW
WEAK LOW PRESSURE TO TRACK ACROSS THE REGION. ANOTHER ARCTIC HIGH
WILL MOVE IN FOR WEDNESDAY.

NORTHERLY FLOW WILL CONTINUE TODAY AHEAD OF ARCTIC
HIGH PRESSURE TO OUR NORTHWEST. 850MB TEMPS WILL CONTINUE TO DROP
THROUGH THE DAY REACHING -18C BY EVENING ACROSS NRN OHIO AND NWRN
PA.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,405,067 times
Precip started a few minutes ago as rain but now seems to be snow and coming a t a rather fast clip. According to the Wunderground pws that's less than a mile from me the current temp is 34.7. What I can see land on the black asphalt driveway is melting and the puddles are growing.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 AM

44,455 posts, read 20,219,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Precip started a few minutes ago as rain but now seems to be snow and coming a t a rather fast clip. According to the Wunderground pws that's less than a mile from me the current temp is 34.7. What I can see land on the black asphalt driveway is melting and the puddles are growing.
Ugh. Sounds as though your weather is worse than ours today. I woke up to a thin layer of snow on my car, and it's presently 24F. Sun is out. More substantial lake-effect snow expected soon. At the moment, though, it's quite beautiful to look at. It just more like early February than late March!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,282,004 times
Cooler today, and there is going to be 3" of snow later this week. That makes our totals reach 68" for this winter.

It was 65 F yesterday, and going to be 19 F once Spring begins. Ouch .

Just a remainder for all you cold lovers, that summer is coming with a lot of "hot air" around the capital :

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather