Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 04:52 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
For heat, if it's low enough that it can't kill me, I probably like it.

Sounds like your the same when it comes to cold.
Different strokes for different folks.
For me, windchills under -15 F feel like I'm being skinned alive after 10 minutes,
and I've always lived in a very-cold climate.
yep you're exactly right "different strokes for different folks". IDK dude it's weird, I think we should switch climates, here the avg high is 90+ from May 17-Sep 29. just thought I'd throw that little piece of info out there. and where I lived in Venezuela the avg.high NEVER got below 90 :

Average Weather for Maracaibo, * - Temperature and Precipitation)

Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hey CC, how high would the temp have to be for you to say it's too hot? Just wondering.
I honestly do not know.
(I'd like to know too )

I have been in saunas where it's 150 F,
and it felt nice for 5-10 minutes,
not bad for 10-20 minutes,
then after that, not so nice.

I guess it all would depend on what I'm doing.

Here's some of my general guidelines:

-95+ F and sunshine makes wearing very-dark coloured clothing a possible health risk
-If the temperature can burn my skin, it's probably too hot
-From the first point, if clothing can get hot enough to burn you, you're clothing is too dark

I have also felt nausea in 110 F hot tubs after 5-10 minutes,
but my body seems to be an efficient radiator (an advantage in muggy heat)
so I'd go from so hot I'm nauseous to cool-and-comfortable
(no residual heat left from the hot tub) in 1-2 minutes.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I honestly do not know.
(I'd like to know too )

I have been in saunas where it's 150 F,
and it felt nice for 5-10 minutes,
not bad for 10-20 minutes,
then after that, not so nice.

I guess it all would depend on what I'm doing.

Here's some of my general guidelines:

-95+ F and sunshine makes wearing very-dark coloured clothing a possible health risk
-If the temperature can burn my skin, it's probably too hot
-From the first point, if clothing can get hot enough to burn you, you're clothing is too dark

I have also felt nausea in 110 F hot tubs after 5-10 minutes,
but my body seems to be an efficient radiator (an advantage in muggy heat)
so I'd go from so hot I'm nauseous to cool-and-comfortable
(no residual heat left from the hot tub) in 1-2 minutes.
yea, but you have to remember that in Saunas you don't have the strong sun beaming against you, I seriously doubt anybody could survive 150F with the strong sun beaming down against them....and anyways a temp above 140F would probably never happen here on Earth unless a freak heat wave happens in Khartoum

Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
yep you're exactly right "different strokes for different folks". IDK dude it's weird, I think we should switch climates, here the avg high is 90+ from May 17-Sep 29. just thought I'd throw that little piece of info out there. and where I lived in Venezuela the avg.high NEVER got below 90 :

Average Weather for Maracaibo, * - Temperature and Precipitation)
Those Maracaibo averages are what I'd call "seductively warm"
near-impossible to feel cold at any time of day,
(Canadians are "supposed" to get their butt's whooped regularly by winter cold, and sometimes spring and fall cold too )
yet also near-impossible (for me) to get a heat-illness.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Those Maracaibo averages are what I'd call "seductively warm";
near-impossible to feel cold yet also near-impossible (for me) to get a heat-illness.
yea, I think it's a model example of a true tropical climate .....did you see the 10-day forecast?? and Maracaibo is located on the Carribean Coast, it's nowhere close to the Amazon, there is a town in Venezuela called Puerto Ayacucho that is in the Amazon and it's not unusual to have 90 degrees with 80+% humidity at the same time.....and that comes with GIGANTIC mosquitoes and wasps....rather unpleasant.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
yea, but you have to remember that in Saunas you don't have the strong sun beaming against you, I seriously doubt anybody could survive 150F with the strong sun beaming down against them....and anyways a temp above 140F would probably never happen here on Earth unless a freak heat wave happens in Khartoum
Yes, but the sauna felt a lot hotter than 104 F and roughly 45-50% humidity, standing in the bright D.C. sunshine.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
yea, I think it's a model example of a true tropical climate .....did you see the 10-day forecast??

there is a town in Venezuela called Puerto Ayacucho that is in the Amazon and it's not unusual to have 90 degrees with 80+% humidity at the same time.....and that comes with GIGANTIC mosquitoes and wasps....rather unpleasant.
The temps are nice. The rain might be annoying, but the reason the rain ruins plans here is because it's a cool rain and you'll usually, eventually start getting cold in most of our summer rains.

Those bugs don't sound nice, but I'd like that better than 39 F with even the faintest breeze, since I'd need gloves to keep my fingers from stinging within 10 minutes.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:36 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
CC, you'd like it at my house right now. The temp is only 82, but it feels like 90. I was just on the deck and it's quite comfy, but I do have the AC on cause it's be too warm in here without it.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:21 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
CC, you'd like it at my house right now. The temp is only 82, but it feels like 90. I was just on the deck and it's quite comfy, but I do have the AC on cause it's be too warm in here without it.
***CITY DATA NEWS ALERT*** Jammie said it's too warm! I hope someday SOON I can say it's too cold!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:42 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I kid you not, August is the hottest month in Houston. September is hot too and even most of October will be hot. We won't get any real cool air till maybe November, unless we get real lucky.
well actually, it's like cool weather is mid october and jacket weather maybe by Thanksgiving. Maybe different subject, but the holidays never felt like the holidays if they were too warm. I didn't like to watch the Cowboy game on Thanksgiving and it was 80-85° outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather