Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following events would be the biggest climatic shock for a visitor from Lima, Persu
Phoenix in July 4 15.38%
Chicago in January 17 65.38%
Miami in July 4 15.38%
Seattle in January 1 3.85%
L.A. in May 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

I thought about it and Chicago would be the biggest temperature difference so probably Chicago.........but it will still depend on the individual Peruvian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,970,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
I thought about it and Chicago would be the biggest temperature difference so probably Chicago.........but it will still depend on the individual Peruvian...
Here's how I arrived at my answer. Peru probably has hot deserts far inland near the base of the Andes, much like California's set up. Miami is a nobrainer, just go into the interior provinces into the Amazon and voila. Seattle....well Lima itself can be very drizzly when it does rain according to the Peruvian that seemed to have fallen off the face of the Earth. Coastal Lima is basically like L.A., except much drier and cooler. but, go inland and the temps increase as the mountainous terrain blocks cool Pacific air from infiltrating further. The only thing left would be Chicago, which Peru has nothing resembling it

Old 10-21-2013, 10:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,113,831 times
Quote:
You have a guest visiting from Lima, Peru, the place with the most boring, consistent weather in the world; cloudy majority of the time with temperatures ranging from 55 to 80 F all year round with very low standard deviation. Less than an inch of rain a year, even though there are 60 days of drizzle each year, it's mostly in the form of less than 0.01 each day. Getting even 0.10 in a single day happens once a year at the most. An inch of rain a day is unheard of.

Which of the following climate/weather occurrence would be the biggest shock for them?

A) A day in Phoenix in July with the blazing sun and temperatures of 112 F in the middle of the day
B) A day in Chicago in January with snow falling and temperatures of 15 F.
C) A day in Miami in July with blazing sun and humidity with a temperature of 90 and a heat index of 100 F at noon followed by a heavy thunderstorm with a downpour of 2 inches of rain in an hour from 3-4PM.
D) A day Seattle in January with a cold and windy steady moderate rain all day with temperatures in the low 40s throughout the day. Total is an inch of rain but it falls steadily throughout the day with no sunny breaks.
E) A day in Los Angeles in May (similar weather to Lima in summer), running into spoiled, rich celebrities behaving badly in public.
correction july in miami is actually not that rainy. we typically get a 2-3 week period where dust from the sahara desert dries things out and makes the sky hazy. As a result we often experiance heat waves during this time

Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
correction july in miami is actually not that rainy. we typically get a 2-3 week period where dust from the sahara desert dries things out and makes the sky hazy. As a result we often experiance heat waves during this time
But it's still a "normal" occurrence to have a two inch downpour in July; right? The Peruvian guest arrives the night before the downpour in this scenario.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
But it's still a "normal" occurrence to have a two inch downpour in July; right? The Peruvian guest arrives the night before the downpour in this scenario.
during the first 2 weeks it would be normal but after that it becomes dry.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
during the first 2 weeks it would be normal but after that it becomes dry.
Okay-he arrives on July 1 then

BTW- Do you agree that Chicago in winter would be the biggest shock among all my scenarios?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Okay-he arrives on July 1 then

BTW- Do you agree that Chicago in winter would be the biggest shock among all my scenarios?
yep.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,983,989 times
Lima has seen close to all the choices but B. So B it is.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,970,297 times
Does Adrianna have me on ignore? lol

Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Does Adrianna have me on ignore? lol
she doesn't like you as much as me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather