Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,323,889 times

Advertisements

I suppose I'm being petty, but at times like this I swear the weather just drives me insane.

In eastern TX where I'm at, all summer long, it barely rained a lick at all. It was 100 more times than I care to remember. It was awful a lot of the time.

Now it's the time when it's typically 75 or 80, where we can enjoy some warmth yet it's neither hot nor cold, and what is it doing? For the past 3-4 days, it's rained off & on, and today a LOT. Where was that all summer?

Most of all, meanwhile, several times of late, and today especially, it's been much colder than it's supposed to be. Today it's been a high of around 58 when the normal is like 78.

Why, why, why, why, couldn't it have instead done such a thing during July-August when it was 100? Who would've complained that it was 80 instead of 100? Why does it instead seem to ALWAYS choose this time of the year to act the fool, during the very time when we could enjoy some warmth without being frozen like an icicle or roasted like a hot dog on a grill? Why can't it do 20 degrees below normal when that would mean a high of 40 instead of a high of 60 in February, or a high of 80 instead of a high of 100 in July or August? Why does it ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do it when the high is supposed to be 80, and muck up nice warm but not hot days?

UGH!!

All summer long, it was stubbornly 95 or 100, sometimes 107 when it was supposed to be 96. During that time I said "you watch, when it evens out, it will do so when no one wants it, when it's supposed to be 75 or 80, it will do it then & muck up our final pre-cold days."

Right on cue, that is EXACTLY what it is doing. It did the same thing earlier around April, refusing to surrender the cold winter era for the milder spring, and by the time it finally go its head out of its anus, it was now time for it to be 90. It went straight from ice cream to barbecued chicken, totally effing up the entire 75-80 period almost completely. And here it goes AGAIN. Frankly, I think mother nature is on crack.

Is east Texas ALWAYS this flipping stupid?

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 10-16-2013 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM

542 posts, read 1,685,068 times
In my neck of the woods in the Eastern US, temperatures are usually above average at least 75% of the time. Guess it all evens out.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,899,073 times
But then is it really wise to use averages i.e 80 degrees in a place like Texas were a high standard deviation is normal? Personally if I lived there I would not expect the temps to be similar year in year out because of the high standard deviation.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,112,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I suppose I'm being petty, but at times like this I swear the weather just drives me insane.

In eastern TX where I'm at, all summer long, it barely rained a lick at all. It was 100 more times than I care to remember. It was awful a lot of the time.

Now it's the time when it's typically 75 or 80, where we can enjoy some warmth yet it's neither hot nor cold, and what is it doing? For the past 3-4 days, it's rained off & on, and today a LOT. Where was that all summer?

Most of all, meanwhile, several times of late, and today especially, it's been much colder than it's supposed to be. Today it's been a high of around 58 when the normal is like 78.

Why, why, why, why, couldn't it have instead done such a thing during July-August when it was 100? Who would've complained that it was 80 instead of 100? Why does it instead seem to ALWAYS choose this time of the year to act the fool, during the very time when we could enjoy some warmth without being frozen like an icicle or roasted like a hot dog on a grill? Why can't it do 20 degrees below normal when that would mean a high of 40 instead of a high of 60 in February, or a high of 80 instead of a high of 100 in July or August? Why does it ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do it when the high is supposed to be 80, and muck up nice warm but not hot days?

UGH!!

All summer long, it was stubbornly 95 or 100, sometimes 107 when it was supposed to be 96. During that time I said "you watch, when it evens out, it will do so when no one wants it, when it's supposed to be 75 or 80, it will do it then & muck up our final pre-cold days."

Right on cue, that is EXACTLY what it is doing. It did the same thing earlier around April, refusing to surrender the cold winter era for the milder spring, and by the time it finally go its head out of its anus, it was now time for it to be 90. It went straight from ice cream to barbecued chicken, totally effing up the entire 75-80 period almost completely. And here it goes AGAIN. Frankly, I think mother nature is on crack.

Is east Texas ALWAYS this flipping stupid?

LRH
it's your fault for living in a highly continental climate. if you want a place that doesn't have such a huge standard deviation than move to california or move to the east coast.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:21 PM

You say that living on the east coast would solve that? Nope, I used to live in eastern NC, and it was like that there as well.

California--too expensive to live there, & I don't like their fruity laws and environmentalist policies (can't shoot a mountain lion if it shows up in your yard, that sort of thing). Call me a whiner, I probably am, or one of those "have your cake/eat it too" people, but I want it to be stable AND not be expensive to live, and frankly I suppose I'm opinionated but I pretty much think there should be NO PLACE on the entire planet that has a high standard deviation. Nowhere.

Regardless, the main thing is, as I observed, in fact I wouldn't object so much to departures from the normal if it meant, say, it was only in the 30s for a high in January vs in the 50s (so long as it wasn't windy or icy etc), or if it meant only getting to the low 80s vs the high 90s in the middle of the hottest part of the summer. At such times, it's not as noticeable, it doesn't have as much of an effect on what your outdoor plans may be. By contrast, when it's supposed to be 80 and it stalls out around 58, that makes a TREMENDOUS difference in what you do outside vs what you would've done. That makes you go from wearing a bathing suit to a jacket. The others, you still wear a bathing suit or sleeveless or shirtless etc at 80 as you would 95 (although one is hotter-feeling than the other obviously), in a place that goes from being 53 for a high to 33, you're still wearing a jacket either way, just maybe a little bit heavier of a jacket, but you're still wearing a jacket in either scenario.

And that's the thing--such deviations are far more noticeable in early spring and early fall, and they seem to happen a WHOLE LOT more then, during the very time you most don't want them to. Frankly, to me, it's nothing less than a mental sickness for the weather to do that. I swear mother nature is smoking some insane levels of crack to do such a thing. I'd even classify it as being amoral.

Darn it, I'm a warm weather person (not hot, warm), this is the time of the year when the numbers all but promise me some warm but not hot weather, before having to bear the brunt of winter (which I don't complain about), and when it does this, frankly it feels like something is being stolen from me or a promise is being broken. I really do personalize it that emphatically. In the same way, a person who likes winter should be able to EXPECT that December-March or whatever will be cold EVERY SINGLE DAY NO EXCEPTIONS and that a person who likes mild warm weather like 70s or 80s then when the normals state such is what you can expect, then darn it DO IT. Quit breaking your promises. Stop out & out lying to the people that way.

Else, you might as well throw the calendar out & not even mention when spring or winter is here, because none of it matters at all.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 10-16-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 06:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,961,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
You say that living on the east coast would solve that? Nope, I used to live in eastern NC, and it was like that there as well.

California--too expensive to live there, & I don't like their fruity laws and environmentalist policies (can't shoot a mountain lion if it shows up in your yard, that sort of thing). Call me a whiner, I probably am, or one of those "have your cake/eat it too" people, but I want it to be stable AND not be expensive to live, and frankly I suppose I'm opinionated but I pretty much think there should be NO PLACE on the entire planet that has a high standard deviation. Nowhere.

Regardless, the main thing is, as I observed, in fact I wouldn't object so much to departures from the normal if it meant, say, it was only in the 30s for a high in January vs in the 50s (so long as it wasn't windy or icy etc), or if it meant only getting to the low 80s vs the high 90s in the middle of the hottest part of the summer. At such times, it's not as noticeable, it doesn't have as much of an effect on what your outdoor plans may be. By contrast, when it's supposed to be 80 and it stalls out around 58, that makes a TREMENDOUS difference in what you do outside vs what you would've done. That makes you go from wearing a bathing suit to a jacket. The others, you still wear a bathing suit or sleeveless or shirtless etc at 80 as you would 95 (although one is hotter-feeling than the other obviously), in a place that goes from being 53 for a high to 33, you're still wearing a jacket either way, just maybe a little bit heavier of a jacket, but you're still wearing a jacket in either scenario.

And that's the thing--such deviations are far more noticeable in early spring and early fall, and they seem to happen a WHOLE LOT more then, during the very time you most don't want them to. Frankly, to me, it's nothing less than a mental sickness for the weather to do that. I swear mother nature is smoking some insane levels of crack to do such a thing. I'd even classify it as being amoral.

Darn it, I'm a warm weather person (not hot, warm), this is the time of the year when the numbers all but promise me some warm but not hot weather, before having to bear the brunt of winter (which I don't complain about), and when it does this, frankly it feels like something is being stolen from me or a promise is being broken. I really do personalize it that emphatically. In the same way, a person who likes winter should be able to EXPECT that December-March or whatever will be cold EVERY SINGLE DAY NO EXCEPTIONS and that a person who likes mild warm weather like 70s or 80s then when the normals state such is what you can expect, then darn it DO IT. Quit breaking your promises. Stop out & out lying to the people that way.

Else, you might as well throw the calendar out & not even mention when spring or winter is here, because none of it matters at all.

LRH
I'm guessing you don't have much acquired knowledge of the mechanics of the North American climate? That's just the nature of the beast. The west coast is not all expensive. Hell, Arizona has a much smaller standard deviation than anywhere east of the Rockies. That's just how it is here, and something that we, as Americans not living in the Pacific states, have to put up with. So, if you want warm and no cold snaps, you have to live in California or Hawaii. California is not all expensive to live in. The Central Valley and the coast have similar winter temps, just summer the interior of California (more than 10 miles from the coast) is blazing hot but the humidity is pretty low. Can't do anything else, that is how our continental geography is set up.

Just out of curiosity, do you know our climate works? When you see averages posted for a city, especially those east of the Rockies, the average is the mathematical value calculated AFTER taking into account cold snaps. So, if says the average January high for Brownsville, TX is 70°F, it does not mean in any shape or form that the temperature is going to be 70°F +/- 3°F for the whole of January. It just means that a set of high temps was recorded in January, a set of low temps were recorded, and the temperature variations averaged out to 70°F. I think you just misunderstand what averages are supposed to mean, especially in this country

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 10-16-2013 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm guessing you don't have much acquired knowledge of the mechanics of the North American climate? That's just the nature of the beast. The west coast is not all expensive. Hell, Arizona has a much smaller standard deviation than anywhere east of the Rockies. That's just how it is here, and something that we, as Americans not living in the Pacific states, have to put up with. So, if you want warm and no cold snaps, you have to live in California or Hawaii. California is not all expensive to live in. The Central Valley and the coast have similar winter temps, just summer the interior of California (more than 10 miles from the coast) is blazing hot but the humidity is pretty low. Can't do anything else, that is how our continental geography is set up.

Just out of curiosity, do you know our climate works? When you see averages posted for a city, especially those east of the Rockies, the average is the mathematical value calculated AFTER taking into account cold snaps. So, if says the average January high for Brownsville, TX is 70°F, it does not mean in any shape or form that the temperature is going to be 70°F +/- 3°F for the whole of January. It just means that a set of high temps was recorded in January, a set of low temps were recorded, and the temperature variations averaged out to 70°F. I think you just misunderstand what averages are supposed to mean, especially in this country
I appreciate the feedback & such, I guess you could say you're dealing with an impossible beast in me, in that in MY MIND if it says a place, as you said, has an average of 70ºF, then it's supposed to be 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70.....seriously. (Well, as you said +/- 3ºF, that would be close enough.) I don't care what anyone says about how things ACTUALLY work, to me that is how it SHOULD work, & I shouldn't have to move to CA to get it, I should be able to have that ANYWHERE I chose to live.

Believe me, I understand it would be silly, say, to choose to live in AK & gripe how cold it is & how one misses palm trees, or choose to live in AZ (I used to live in AZ by the way) and then gripe about the lack of greenery etc. To me, this is different. One shouldn't have to live in CA or Hawaii etc to not have this schizophrenic nonsense that's like living on a roller coaster.

That rant aside, my main observation really is this--why are the deviations higher during the very period that it's the most annoying? In other words, as I said, my anal tendencies aside, I wouldn't throw a fit over it being, say, 80 in July instead of 100, other than that such could mean that it would make up for it on some other occasion by being 120 instead of 100 (although I've never seen such a thing myself). In like manner, if it's 35 instead of 55 in January, go for it.

It's during the springtime and early fall, when the norms are 70-80, that it happens the most, and that is by far & away when I am the most emphatic that I don't want it. The reason--I am a warm weather person, and miss being able to enjoy "bathing suit weather" when it's December. Mind you, I don't gripe about it, at all, but I miss it. Thus, in spring-time, when we're pulling out of that & transitioning over to "bathing suit" weather, I get furious when we keep having "Blackberry Winters" where it keeps reverting back to winter weather when we're supposed to be putting it behind us.

Or, during this time 3-odd weeks into fall, I know that I'm fixing to no longer be able to enjoy "bathing suit weather" for 4-5 months and so I want to "cram it in" the last 2-odd weeks or so that I am still able to enjoy it. (Seriously, just yesterday, I swam in an outdoor unheated pool at a fitness place and though it was of course cooler than it was in July, it was still by all means enjoyable, I'm guessing 75ºF water temperature. The air temperature was 82ºF, only about 3ºF degrees off normal, and even as picky as I am, that's plenty fine by me.) Once it's now a normal high of 65 and a normal low of 45, okay then, "bathing suit weather" is now over, but while it's still 79 and 54 roughly, I want to, as I said, "cram it in" while I still can.

So that's really my thing--why does it seem to "pick on" that period the most in terms of swinging wildly all over the place, the very period that I most don't want it to? It's just stupid--I don't care if it's the most common climatic thing ever, or if it's practically in the Bible that it's going to happen, I emphatically do not care, IT SHOULDN'T. Period. It's morally wrong. Yes, MORALLY wrong. (Yes, I realize I'm "tripping.")

Besides that, though, 100 degrees in July is brutal, and 53 for a high in December may not be COLD but it's still decisively not WARM weather either. The period where it's 75-85 or so is the best, warm but not HOT, and naturally I want to enjoy it, and that seems to be the very period these wacko swings attack the most of anything, when again it could be 35 vs 55 in December or 85 vs 100 in July & I wouldn't complain at all.

Basically, this--other people just accept it's going to do what it's going to do, I can't help but think on it & logically decipher how little sense it makes and say "that's just stupid." I can't turn off my awareness that 85 vs 100 in July makes a whole lot more sense than 59 vs 78 in mid-October. Others accept it, I just don't. Other things I don't understand or like I've come to accept for my own peace of mind, but this I stubbornly cling to. Basically, I nothing less than think I'm smarter than Mother Nature or whatever supernatural forces are at play here for what the weather ought to be like.

LRH

Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,284,899 times
Other than California and AZ....I'd say extreme southern Florida is not bad, most of the
"arctic" cold shots in winter don't penetrate that far south too often.
Naples/ Ft. Myers on the gulf coast or Jupiter/Palm Beach on the Atlantic side
would be your best bet (or the Keys).

Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Other than California and AZ....I'd say extreme southern Florida is not bad, most of the
"arctic" cold shots in winter don't penetrate that far south too often.
Naples/ Ft. Myers on the gulf coast or Jupiter/Palm Beach on the Atlantic side
would be your best bet (or the Keys).
You know, I have to admit, given that I lived in AZ for 10 years & also had occasion to gripe about departures from the normal, perhaps I'm just plain too picky?

(To which the chorus replies, "ya think?")

As for Florida--nope, too rainy, too many hurricanes. Also I can't legally shoot any alligators that come in my yard, the way I shot an armadillo a few days ago that was in my yard.

Like I said, I can actually tolerate SOME deviations. Heck, if we had had periods of it only getting up to 82 last July instead of the more normal 96, I only would've complained insomuch that I would've feared it would even out by having 109 or 112 heatwaves later to even things out. Otherwise I'd been like "go right ahead, it suits me fine." Same thing if it wants to only get up to 35 in December vs the more normal 55--as long as it doesn't accompany an ice storm and/or 35mph winds, my response--go right ahead. Heck, it might be beneficial, a good strong winter I would imagine would help kill off bugs.

That's my thing--there are occasions like that where even someone like me can appreciate them. Instead it does it during periods where you don't need it in such ways, and in fact may strongly desire it NOT to. It seems as if it is during those very period, mainly when it's supposed to be 75-85 or so, that it's most susceptible to doing it.

LRH

Old 10-17-2013, 04:55 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,608,045 times
How about New Mexico west of the mountains, like Las Cruces.

Much less deviation once you get west of the mountains (aka rockies)
eastern NM is like Texas, so stick away from Roswell/Clovis/Hobbs/Carlsbad.

Las Cruces/Alamogordo/T or C/Deming are all good.
Cooler than southern AZ too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather