Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 03:22 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
UK's record cold is 2C colder than NZ and record heat 4C cooler than NZ, so it might not be correct to say more potential for extremes exists in the UK.
The UK seems to get 30-35c days a lot more often than NZ does though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 03:31 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The UK seems to get 30-35c days a lot more often than NZ does though.
There were around 20 30C+ days where I was last summer, so 30C isn't unusual. West coast climates like mine and Auckland's are sea breeze climates, so 30C is hard to achieve as a temperature, even though there is rapid heating.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

In winter I can barely stand coming onto this forum with all the cheering and over-hype the cold lovers put on. And even more strange is how many of these cold lovers on here live in the South. It just makes me think, and I'm entitled to my opinion, that they are cold lovers cause they don't have to deal with it each and every year for months. Even in Atlanta the cold is more fleeting than not.

We need a subforum for people that actually prefer mild or average weather.
Most of the cold lovers tend to be the younger, more active "outdoorsy" type of people, which probably make up the majority of people on places like city-data.

And yes, I do realize the dominance of live oak and palm in places like Charleston, Beaufort, and Savannah, but much of that is due to humans preferring to plant those types of trees there. If you travel just outside those areas, your greeted with a more mixed forest that looks like this. This is what the natural coastal south vegetation looks like. Less live oaks, more tall pines, and more deciduous (with sweetgum in particular being numerous).

Old 08-07-2015, 02:31 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times
Quote:
Here are some interesting photos showing the difference between a place like Beaufort, SC in the coastal region vs Columbia in the interior region in the middle of winter.

Columbia Feb 2015

https://www.flickr.com/photos/401615...29633691/page2

You can see deciduous trees scattered about in Columbia's downtown in winter and grass not very green.

Jan 2015 http://contractconstruction.net/file...dbreak-web.jpg

See the people wearing winter coats and scarves. Some evergreen and deciduous mixed in.

They do seem to be able to grow some cold hardy subtropicals like Washingtonia palms which have lots of filifera in them otherwise they would be brown in this climate.

Livistona are from China and are more cold hardy palms.

This looks like pure Washingtonia Filifera which can take cold.

You can see browned out vegetation and deciduous trees in the middle of winter in Columbia, SC.

Contrast that with the same winter in Beaufort, SC which is 12.5 miles from the coast.

I think there is a different winter look to Beaufort than there is to Columbia. Beaufort looks milder than Columbia. More green in Beaufort. Columbia looks more winter hardened and colder.

Based on just photos alone from the same winter, Beaufort is more subtropical or warm temperate and Columbia is more continental climate (though vastly different than Winnipeg or anywhere in Canada or Upper Midwest).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetm...57648490669753

Beaufort, SC Jan 29 2015

Where did you get the picture of the L. Chinensis? Was that taken in Columbia? The only other one that I know of is right off of the lake (Lake Murray), in the suburbs of Columbia and it's certainly not a trunking specimen.

Columbia must have a noticeable urban heat effect because you very rarely see any filibustas growing in the suburbs- excluding if you're on the lake.

You compare Beaufort, a coastal town, over 100 miles south of Columbia as being greener as an inland Columbia during the winter? I'm not sure whats so surprising about this? Or maybe you're just pointing it out for interesting observation.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:02 AM

855 posts, read 772,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Subtropical should be called Humid transitional or Sub temperate due to having both characteristics
Sub temperate implies "less than temperate" which is the opposite of subtropical.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Where did you get the picture of the L. Chinensis? Was that taken in Columbia? The only other one that I know of is right off of the lake (Lake Murray), in the suburbs of Columbia and it's certainly not a trunking specimen.

Columbia must have a noticeable urban heat effect because you very rarely see any filibustas growing in the suburbs- excluding if you're on the lake.

You compare Beaufort, a coastal town, over 100 miles south of Columbia as being greener as an inland Columbia during the winter? I'm not sure whats so surprising about this? Or maybe you're just pointing it out for interesting observation.
Ooops, you posted the Beaufort and Columbia comparison in relation to BullochResident's analysis of a subtropical and a warm temperate climate... Oops. My fault. But what about that L. Chinensis, was that taken in Columbia? I'd be shocked if it was.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:53 PM

633 posts, read 661,992 times
@smithgn

i agree, i was surprised to see that L. Chinensis in Columbia. from my experience they are only about as hardy as Syagrus romanzoffiana (Queen palm) and you won't see many of them outside of Savannah/Charleston... even ones in my area can get a little brown around the gills after a bad winter (a night below 30°F) so I imagine they don't make it long in Central SC...

Old 08-07-2015, 03:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Ooops, you posted the Beaufort and Columbia comparison in relation to BullochResident's analysis of a subtropical and a warm temperate climate... Oops. My fault. But what about that L. Chinensis, was that taken in Columbia? I'd be shocked if it was.

Yes it was. Look at this link:

Re: Dream project: coming inside and participate

Now this was before 2014 and 2015, but I know if you streetview the Washingtonia around the Riverbank Botanical Gardens it was still there in Fall of 2014.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:42 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
@smithgn

i agree, i was surprised to see that L. Chinensis in Columbia. from my experience they are only about as hardy as Syagrus romanzoffiana (Queen palm) and you won't see many of them outside of Savannah/Charleston... even ones in my area can get a little brown around the gills after a bad winter (a night below 30°F) so I imagine they don't make it long in Central SC...

I saw many trunked Livistona in Mobile AL, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, etc just this past February. They are far hardier than Queens. The Queens took a huge hit in Mobile, but the Livistona did not.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
@smithgn

I know a few people that grow L. Chinensis as a grow back plant. The roots are hardy but the foliage usually fries during the winter. I suppose the difference is the Syagrus will die and is not as root hardy as a L. Chinensis. There was a house in an upscale neighborhood in the suburbs that had 2 Syagrus'. They died in the '14 winter even with christmas lights. Not sure how long they were there before that, though.

Quote:
Yes it was. Look at this link:

Re: Dream project: coming inside and participate

Now this was before 2014 and 2015, but I know if you streetview the Washingtonia around the Riverbank Botanical Gardens it was still there in Fall of 2014.
Thats amazing. Like I said, there are a few of us with L. Chinensis, but crazy that there is a trunking specimen. Did you take these pictures Tom? Where exactly was this L. Chinensis located?

I actually drove past the filibusta near the zoo today. It's doing fine. I've actually harvested seeds from the tree and have a couple dozen seedlings growing in my backyard in pots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather