Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 03:27 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,778,506 times

Advertisements

It will be -5F here this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,278 posts, read 9,461,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I still don't see what exactly your point is.
His point (as always) is that your weather preferences are different from his, and that won't be tolerated.

5,983 posts, read 4,280,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Tourism in the winter. Yeah I want to go to FL to enjoy freezing weather.

Imo, easy to be a lover of cold in FL where you wish for 30F lol. What a joke.

Oh and I could not care less about whether you change your mind or not. What I do know is that you have never experienced anything remotely like even an above average winter here. I'd love to see one of you FL cold lovers spend a winter in Philly. I'd like to meet up with you say come February to see how you're doing. Oh and no using your car. Walk everywhere in winter like the rest of us that live in the center of the city. Have your face whipped by 25 mph winds of 15F while you walk to work.
I lived in the Northeast for 12 years and thought the winters were too cold. An ideal winter would have highs in the low 60s, something hard to manage here in Florida, so of course I hope for below average weather. Any cooler than that and it's too cold.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:28 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
Quote:
Tourism in the winter. Yeah I want to go to FL to enjoy freezing weather.

Imo, easy to be a lover of cold in FL where you wish for 30F lol. What a joke.

Oh and I could not care less about whether you change your mind or not. What I do know is that you have never experienced anything remotely like even an above average winter here. I'd love to see one of you FL cold lovers spend a winter in Philly. I'd like to meet up with you say come February to see how your doing. Oh and no using your car. Walk everywhere in winter like the rest of us that live in the center of the city. Have your face whipped by 25 mph winds of 15F while you walk to work.
Really? I've lived in North GA 50 miles north of Atlanta which would be an "above average" winter in Philly. (Highs in the 40s/50s) Way too warm for me still. Philly in winter is nothing. 30s/40s for highs? That's a joke. You act like Philly is Winnipeg for Christs sake. If I lived in Philly, I would complain more about summer than winter. Philly winters are a joke compared to all the hype that surround them.

Anyway, how often does 15 F with 25 mph wind happen in Philly? Not too often I would assume.

What a silly argument you present.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
His point (as always) is that your weather preferences are different from his, and that won't be tolerated.
Seriously. '

It's like me saying "it's easy to be heat lover if you live in the UK" or something equally silly.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Winters in Philly really aren't that bad at all - I don't know why people from those places always exaggerate. Going by what Tom is saying you'd think Philadelphia is a bona fida Siberian city or something.

I've already experienced winters colder than anything Philadelphia can offer, and I found it fine. Maybe if I lived there permanently it'd be different, but I doubt it. I know what I like, and what I don't. The cold just doesn't bother me.

Heck, I remember December 2010, which was our coldest on record, and our boiler broke down in the middle of it - damn, it was cold inside, but my love for cold winters goes unabated.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Winters in Philly really aren't that bad at all - I don't know why people from those places always exaggerate. Going by what Tom is saying you'd think Philadelphia is a bona fida Siberian city or something.

I've already experienced winters colder than anything Philadelphia can offer, and I found it fine.
I've experienced temperatures 20 F colder than anything Philly has ever experienced in its history and it was fine to me. Granted, I've never LIVED in those temperatures but I would love to experience it more often. I wouldn't mind a climate like Winnipeg honestly. I would love to just try it out for a year.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:36 PM

Not to mention Philly can reach 60 F and even 70 F at times in winter. Yeah, so frigid.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,111,524 times
Quote:
Yes it would be awesome to have millions of acres of citrus trees killed by the cold just like in the 1980's.
Look up December 1983 and January 1985. Those two cold winters killed one third of all commercial citrus trees in Florida. If you don't think that can have an impact on your state economy, you are kidding yourself. Hope you enjoy your little bit of chill. Bet Florida looks pretty with dead and dying vegetation in winter. Please post pics this coming winter for us all to see the climate fail that is North America.

Here you go:

Citrus industry destroyed by a series of freezes in 1980s | Ocala.com

1980s Weren't Sweet to Citrus - Florida Citrus Mutual
Just moved to CA from NC. Average low at night in January is here is 39F, record low is 17F. In my previous residence in NC the average Jan low was 30 and record low -6F.

Citrus grows fine in the west of there's enough water.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

I've already experienced winters colder than anything Philadelphia can offer, and I found it fine. Maybe if I lived there permanently it'd be different, but I doubt it. I know what I like, and what I don't. The cold just doesn't bother me.

Heck, I remember December 2010, which was our coldest on record, and our boiler broke down in the middle of it - damn, it was cold inside, but my love for cold winters goes unabated.

It is not exaggerating. 15F is only 10F off the avg Jan low and happens around 11 times a winter on average. Lol, how often does Leeds go down to 15F? Add in wind, which is the real culprit I hate in winter. I admit that with just sun and no wind winter here isn't bad. Wind whipping around the downtown with the narrow streets and buildings is a nightmare for me in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather