Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM

83,701 posts, read 76,119,798 times

Advertisements

Here is Joe Bastardi's (@BigJoeBastardi) speech at the Climate Change Conference in Chicago last Mon in case you...

Joe Bastardi, ICCC7 | Climate Conferences

JB's Facebook: Joe Bastardi | Facebook

JB's Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/BigJoeBastardi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,776,397 times
The climate change conference in Chicago was run not by a meteorological or any scientific organization but a right-wing political group, the Heartland Institute. Likely few real scientists actually attended.

After the Heartland Institute released this billboard ad, I won't pay attention to anything say nor believed they worthy of any respect. The ad was something one would expect more out stupid internet comments or some in the depth of the worst P&OC comments. Two can play at this stupidity... another similar statement would be: Andrew Breivik (Norwegian anti-Islamic mass shooter) didn't believe in Global Warming or Osama bin Laden believed in gravity. The Heartland Institute is a example on the cheapening of American political discourse and an insult to a very interesting (and important) scientific topic.

Heartland Institute compares belief in global warming to mass murder | Leo Hickman | Environment | guardian.co.uk

As to the content Joe Bastardi's speech, I haven't watchedit yet but Joe Bastardi has made some very sloppy statements clashing with basic physics and I think his some of statements of global warming have been well debunked. See:

Learning from Bastardi’s Mistakes | Open Mind

Old 05-27-2012, 12:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,044,586 times
My thinking is, if the main threat to humanity involves subsidizing the 3rd world, and entering into a global government, then take the fearmongering claims with a pinch of salt. the climate change alarmists are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, that's for sure. I don't know if man is causing the climate change the IPCC and gang say we are, all I know is the climate changes naturally anyway, with or without us

Old 05-27-2012, 01:01 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,641,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The climate change conference in Chicago was run not by a meteorological or any scientific organization but a right-wing political group, the Heartland Institute. Likely few real scientists actually attended.

After the Heartland Institute released this billboard ad, I won't pay attention to anything say nor believed they worthy of any respect. The ad was something one would expect more out stupid internet comments or some in the depth of the worst P&OC comments. Two can play at this stupidity... another similar statement would be: Andrew Breivik (Norwegian anti-Islamic mass shooter) didn't believe in Global Warming or Osama bin Laden believed in gravity. The Heartland Institute is a example on the cheapening of American political discourse and an insult to a very interesting (and important) scientific topic.

Heartland Institute compares belief in global warming to mass murder | Leo Hickman | Environment | guardian.co.uk

As to the content Joe Bastardi's speech, I haven't watchedit yet but Joe Bastardi has made some very sloppy statements clashing with basic physics and I think his some of statements of global warming have been well debunked. See:

Learning from Bastardi’s Mistakes | Open Mind
Heartland's antics were absolutely despicable. Bastardi has been caught out frequently on quite elementary matters. If he's an expert, we're in trouble.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,962,812 times
Man-made global warming is a load of crap and is used by governments as an excuse to con people out of money. That, my friends, is criminal.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My thinking is, if the main threat to humanity involves subsidizing the 3rd world, and entering into a global government, then take the fearmongering claims with a pinch of salt. the climate change alarmists are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, that's for sure.
I don't get what this has to do with whether global warming is real or not. What politicians do with the conclusions is another topic that I'm less interested in. For sure? It could be because they feel the data is on their side and their opponents are very, very wrong.

In any case, any government measures are likely to be minimal so instead we can look forward to warmer weather.

Quote:
I don't know if man is causing the climate change the IPCC and gang say we are, all I know is the climate changes naturally anyway, with or without us
Of course climate does change naturally by itself at times, but that doesn't mean that this current climate change is natural. I subscribe to amechanistic view of the earth (and universe). Climate doesn't randomly change by itself (it's not the same thing as weather). When the climate has undergone a shift, instead just giving up and declaring climate changed naturally, most likely they had a specific cause. Though data may be insufficient, with enough information most previous global climate changes could be pinned to a combination of changes in solar radiation, greenhouse gases or volcanic eruptions. And with today's warming, one can look at the various effects and separate how much is caused by each:

The Real Global Warming Signal | Open Mind

Old 05-28-2012, 04:39 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,962,812 times
Ever since global warming was invented, all we are doing in Australia is breaking cold and rainfall records one after the other

Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Ever since global warming was invented, all we are doing in Australia is breaking cold and rainfall records one after the other
But didn't you say Melbourne is a bit warmer if you look at 1981-2010 stats than previous ones.

And some other places have had rather impressive averages changes:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24242931-post42.html

Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,036,569 times
There is some lag as it relates to 30-year climate normals. The 1961-1990 averages were the coldest in a while, and when they were coming out and may have been dissected by global cooling types, the world was already in the throes of a warming trend. So if a cooling began recently, the 1981-2010 vs. 1971-2000 averages wouldn't tell us anything about that.

We'll probably have to wait until the 2001-2030 normals to perform that sort of analysis as it relates to cold and rain records, but of course by then it will be too late to sniff out a new trend since it already would have happened 10 or 20 years ago. Climate normals from a 30-year period only tell us what happened in one 30-year period in the past versus another 30-year period in the past by their very nature. They are useful, but not for that purpose.

The validity of Flight Simmer's statement depends on what you define as the time when global warming was "invented". I'd say 1990 or 2000 would be reasonable starting dates if you're going by 10-year intervals.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 AM

24,505 posts, read 23,223,652 times
Bastardi is the go to guy for weather information, analysis and forecasting. I'd certainly say his opinions have more credibility and have less politicizing than others on either side of the global warming fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather