Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:44 PM

458 posts, read 776,749 times

Advertisements

Many skeptics of AGW seem to hail this as the smoking gun that they have been waiting for.

So what do you think? Does this change your opinion one way or another?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/sc...limate.html?bl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 05:02 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
Many skeptics of AGW seem to hail this as the smoking gun that they have been waiting for.

So what do you think? Does this change your opinion one way or another?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/sc...limate.html?bl
There is a problem with your link, comes up as an error on my computer and hence cannot read it.
On the subject of climate change, there would need to be an aweful lot of carbon dioxide, methane and other carbon emissions to elicit the amount of climate change that the greenies and doomsdayers predict.
It is no secret that these gases retain heat, you only have to look at the climate of Venus - which is chocked with these gases - to realise what these gases can do - ie this planet is uninhabitable. (The clouds of sulfuric acid there too, would burn you in more ways than one).
However, it was only 10,000 years ago we were in our last Ice Age.
There is a normal cycle of events that has everyone panicking about nothing.
Many record high temperatures records and heat-waves etc, were set many years ago.
In fact the world's longest heat wave, in Marble Bar,Western Australia see
BOM - Australian Climate Extremes
was set way back in 1923-24.
Enough said.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:08 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
No because I never bought into the Sky is Falling in the first place. I watched as people got fired for not pushing it and observed who was getting rich off the policies of it. To me the whole mess was a scam sham from the start. It was all about grants and funding. Then came the sin credits being bought and sold. I may be old but not blind.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:13 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Re; "Greenhouse Effect"
I love greenhouses. Sometimes even cars that are hot from being parked in the sun.
I wish we had the climate that existed when the dinosaurs roamed.

But what I don't like is all the time and money spent concerning "climate change." So if I could make a wish, I'd rather no climate change happened, and people went back to their normal lives. Then governments wouldn't be using so much tax dollars to try to change the weather.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
Nope. I already knew it wasn't about real science and instead, all about politics, the economy, and redistribution of wealth.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:55 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Not at all. Just another vapid stunt by those anti AGW wailers

Old 12-01-2009, 06:39 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
I was always skeptical and apparently so are the proponents if they have to use fake data or fudge numbers. Like a previous poster mentioned, this is about politics, power, control, money and wealth distribution. Our money, their wealth.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:13 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
We should not be stunned about fake data and fudged numbers.

Even Al Gore admitted to using exageration in order to get the people's attention.

I consider exageration similar to fake data and fudged numbers.

Most of our summer high temp records ( Minnesota) were set in the 1930's

Old 12-01-2009, 07:36 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
The only reason I was a "sort of" believer involved a transatlantic cruise and a visit to Iceland and Greenland. The speakers they had onboard as we cruised through a fjord area in Greenland were very convincing.

However, I didn't do any reading or research on my own to see weather patterns, excessive melting or receding of glaciers over the years, which I'm sure occur. At the time I didn't think about funding, their notariety, personal agendas, any of it, now I would!

Growing up by Lake Michigan and being in my 60's, I've seen the rise and fall, it happens and big time. Years ago they had to force a woman out of her house because it was going in and it did in a matter of days after they got her out. The amount of beach area at Zion (Illinois Beach State Park) is not even close to what it was years ago. The lake changes and I don't think global warming has anything to do with it.

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-01-2009 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: paragraph

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
Hasn't changed my opinion. The emails show that their authors THEMSELVES believe in global warming. They are not trying to convince everyone of something they themselves believe to be a hoax. Perhaps they (scientists who wrote those emails) thought the threat is so real and political resistance so frustrating, they got sloppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather